Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Wow, what in the world has happened to Chinese Men's badminton? THW and WZM both losing in the first round. CY/LK losing in the first round.

Making its time for LYB to make some changes in the coaching staff and scouting methods.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I share your concern. In WS, CHN is doing pretty well, credit goes to Chen Jin's coaching and leadership, not forgetting Zhang Ning's contribution. CHN MS has now fallen behind their WS, high time for LYB to look into it seriously;I believe he will and he is probably working on it already.

Furthermore, CHN MD problem is still a work-in-progress, there are some signs of incremental improvements.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    For MD, I think LYB needs to import foreign coaches, like from Korea or Indonesia. I know it's unlikely but i think he should.

4. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Yeah, it's always better to get a different opinion on the matter, especially from another country whose training methods may be different

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CHN's lineup for the upcoming Asian Games 2014 as reported here http://sports.qq.com/a/20140720/020555.htm

MS: Chen Long, Tian Houwei, Lin Dan, and Gao Huan - Li Yongbo explained that both Du Pengyu and Wang Zhengming are dropped so as to enable more flexibility in fielding Lin Dan as MS2 or MS3 as needed, meaning it could be MS1 Chen Long, MS2 Tian HW, MS3 Lin Dan or MS1 Chen Long, MS2 Lin Dan and MS3 Gao Huan;

WS: Li Xuerui, Wang Shixian, Wang Yihan and Liu Xin who replaced Sun Yu;

MD: Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng re-formed their partnership, Liu Xiaolong/Qiu Zihan, and Xu Chen with Zhang Nan, while Chai Biao/Hong Wei are dropped;

WD: Yu Yang back with Wang Xiaoli, Tang Jnhua/Bao Yixin, and Ma Jin replacing Tian Qing to partner Zhao Yunlei.

6. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks!
    YES! Maybe there's a chance for me to see them live together :)

7. zhuangcorp

This lineup makes no sense to me.

MD: CY/FHF has been horrible as of late. Why put them together? And why put Xu Chen? He hasn't played MD in many years.

WD: Why Ma Jin? If anything, TYT should play. but Tian Qing has been good as well.

8. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

In the article, it's mentioned that Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng are in the team for flexibility in pairing up. Although Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng could be one of the pairs, other pairs are not ruled out, for example, Fu Haifeng with Zhang Nan or Zhang Nan with Xu Chen. Xu Chen is in the MD team because he trains in the MD team although he plays XD mainly nowadays.

9. zhuangcorp

Also surprising that THW was chosen over both WZM and DPY

10. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

That's so that Lin Dan could play...

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Good thing chai biao and hong wei are dropped, I just don't see them as anything but a pair that can beat anyone on their day but more often than not they will lose.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's right, thanks for translating that part; I didn't bother to because I feel the game plan or strategy is unlikely to have much positive impact as I still think CHN MD up til now is in a sorry state, re-forming CY/FHF partnership and bringing in XC with ZN and giving the MD more flexibility in combinations, eg pairing FHF/ZN if need be besides FHF/CY, etc.

I seriously doubt in a month's time, CHN MD's problem can be significantly improved - note that Cai Yun/Lu Kai was knocked out in the early round of the just concluded Chinese Taipei GPG, though the youngsters Liu Yuchen/Li Junhui showed promise entering their 2nd final, the previous occasion being the BAC'14 where they lost to KOR Shin BK/Yoo YS, still a long way to go.

In fact, after the LOG'12 gold medal triumph, both CY and FHF admitted to struggling with their sudden lack of motivation and drive as well as various minor and chronic ailments. In this regard I've to really admire Lin Dan for another successful comeback trail to add to his considerable tally of championships albeit he's yet to reach top form.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Although Xu Chen and Zhang Nan as a doubles combination may have impressed their coaches during training but that's within the CHN squad, without their being tested in competition with other top MD pairs in tournament situations, I'm not convinced they can pose a 'secret weapon' at the Asian Games.

I'd expect the pressure of the burden of expectation in the coming Asian Games, the more so to avenge their Thomas Cup debacle, would intensify for CHN as seldom before. As it is, LYB has already said he couldn't afford to wait two years to redeem themselves at the next TC. Under such circumstances, I wonder if the entire CHN squad can handle the additional pressure, bearing in mind the multi-sport event is held in Korea whose team usually thrives on home ground.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By the way, CHN dropping Chai Biao/Hong Wei wasn't that of a surprise to me - I believe LYB has justifiable reasons for not wanting to have too many losing TC members in the team again so soon, surely it takes a fair bit of time to recover from that dolorous blow - but the inclusion of Xu Chen who rarely plays MD is.

Apparently it's a sign of considerable lack of good MD players in CHN, why not Lu Kai? To have to still depend on the old guns CY/FHF by re-forming their partnership and recalling another veteran Xu Chen doesn't seem to bode well, imho.

15. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

According to the rules and regulations, each country can send in a maximum of 10 men and 10 women to play in badminton (a total of 20 players).

With this restriction and individual events to consider, the lineup is actually very logical.

- It allows China to send their top 2 XD and WD pairs to play in their respective individual events
    - China could mix and match their doubles pairings for the team events and reclaim back their losses

This is possibly the most logical, best lineup China could have with the least compromise with regards to the strength of the team.

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    What about LYB's son?? Is he a good player?? No news about him lately??

17. zhuangcorp

I'm hoping for a good performance for CHN team in the WC. My dream winners would be

MS: WZM, would love to see him finally break out with a great performance (ok, its not that likely)
    WS: LXR, would love to see her complete her collection with a WC win along with OG and makeup for last year's loss.
    MD: CB/HW, want to see them prove themselves after their TC poor performance.
    WD: BYX/TJH, rooting for the youngsters!
    XD: MJ/XC, they really deserve it. They work so hard, and it would be great to see them finally get the credit they deserve.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

May your dream come true.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    However complete dominance by CHN, like before?, very unlikely.

LXR's victory is more likely. All other events will be closely challenged IMHO.

#119 Loh, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    My prediction for this year WC winners are:

(1) MS: LCW
    (2) WS: LXR
    (3) MD: hard to say
    (4) WD: TQ/ZYL
    (5) XD: ZYL/ZN