VTZF2 JP versus SP

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by juventus1, Mar 10, 2014.

1. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Got mine JP VTZF2 4U5... therefore quickly went to queensway to string it.

Saw quite a few of the VTZF2 SP having the same specification therefore could not resist to test it and swing it..

tested a few VTZF2 4U5 at a few shop... conclusion is the same... SP is heavier overall and the swing speed is slower. if the stringer who claim is the same, change its opinion when he test my racket.

I also have a NRZP JP 3U5... when i test it with my friends SP version, it seem like mine is lighter...

Lighter is not always a good things...but the feel of the racket is really good.. maybe this is why JP is more expensive...

I do not have specific equipment to measure.... but the feel is really different.... based in mind the original grip is still "On" when i test it!.

2. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

I'm been spending time with NRZP now... intially this racket really sucks! too fast to get my timing correct! keep hitting the shuttle with the frame! this is really frustrating for the first 4 weeks.

Now... it is my prized rackets. the smash i deliver can easily send opponent hitting air! it is speed and power combination! but to all player out there... it will sometimes still hit the frame!

VTZF2 feel like a very good racket even i do not have time to play with it! but i bet the learning curve is easier compare to NRZP.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Not saying you're right or wrong, but this is anecdotal evidence.

4. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I have the Japanese version of the ZF2, and indeed it is a bit lighter and less head heavy than others have posted, or to my other non JP 4U Yonex rackets, so there could be some truth to that.

The decal and print quality on mine is exceptional, as is the quality of the grommets, but the segment where the racket specs (4UG4 etc) are engraved on are a bit sloppily done, in that they're a touch faint and not perfectly etched. But aside from that, the build quality and graphics appear flawless.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I've always thought that these kind of "JP vs SP" debates were just superstitious. It's one of those things that you can't really prove on either side and just like other superstitions, once you find a proof (pro or against), someone will come back with something else.

If you find a JP racket that's too heavy for it's weight category and a SP racket that's right on, then the JP racket was incorrectly labeled and the SP racket was just a good racket that Yonex introduced in the batch so that no one could ever elucidate their evil schemes.

The fact is that rackets will always differ in weight, stiffness and balance point and unless you compare hundreds of rackets of each code, we can't conclude anything. For that, we would either need a millionaire that doesn't know what to do with their money or hundreds of people with measuring tools to compare their rackets :)

I'll probably order a JP racket sometime and do a full comparison with a SP and CD racket just for the heck of it, but either way it goes, the belief will always stay.

Imo, rarity is what causes JP products to be more expensive.

6. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Yep... I do agree that both should be the same feels... however after getting 2 JP (NRZP/VTZF2) and compare to the numberous rackets. I can only say that is is lighter and have a better weight distribution. I atleast tested the feel of 10 SP VTZF2 and also 8 SP NRZP with my friend's rackets... they themselves also feel the different.

I do believe that the Japanese do keep their best for themself... just look at the Sunrise clothing vs the JP version!

JP rackets are better or still up to the user to decide..

Recently i also have bought an old stock IP racket AT900T... it has the same feel like JP... in short lighter as compared to my SP versions.

My final conclusion: JP/IP is the same... but SP are usually heavier..

7. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Yep... I do agree that both should be the same feels... however after getting 2 JP (NRZP/VTZF2) and compare to the numberous rackets. I can only say that is is lighter and have a better weight distribution. I atleast tested the feel of 10 SP VTZF2 and also 8 SP NRZP with my friend's rackets... they themselves also feel the different.

I do believe that the Japanese do keep their best for themself... just look at the Sunrise clothing vs the JP version!

JP rackets are better or still up to the user to decide..

Recently i also have bought an old stock IP racket AT900T... it has the same feel like JP... in short lighter as compared to my SP versions.

My final conclusion: JP/IP is the same... but SP are usually heavier..

8. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Racquets will always differ from one to the other. For example, I could sift through a batch of SP Arc11's and try to find one that matches my JP counterpart. All I have to do is weigh it on a scale and then test it's swing weight. I can then say that they're both feel the same and therefore there is no difference (assuming stiffness and material is the same).

Now a normal consumer doesn't have the choice of picking their specs. One guy could have a picked up the heaviest JP racquet from the batch when he bought it and when it came down to buying a second one, he wanted to save some money so he got an SP coded one instead. Little did he know that he got sent the lightest one the shop had, and now, it looks like its the opposite of OP's situation. That's why Yonex and all these racquet manufacturers give a range of weights (the U system) because when they mass-produce, it's very hard to make the same exact specs (down to a tenth of a gram) that accurate. Even if they did, there's still the issue of BP and stiffness. We'll never know the answer if there's actual differences across different codes.

One day, I would love to meet you, yan.v since it looks like I always agree with your posts. :cool:

9. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Just to share with the rest of the Yonex fans...

I know that the rackets can't be made with the same weight and bp due to batch production... heavier or lighter doesn't made a racket better than the other..

it just that the JP version of the VTZF2 really suit me..as i always play double and enjoy smashing..a fast/quicker recovery/heavy racket really blend into my playing style...all racket require a learning curve to get used to the performance of the rackets.

most people told me that the racket is just a extension of your arm... however at my current level, i find that i prefer to used the racket like a whip so that i can unleash the beast! haha..

10. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

haha... many people always said they must tame the beast to release the potential.

I prefer to unleash it to see it full potential....

what a contrast...

11. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The Japanese do make JDM (Japan Domestic Market) version for their own consumption. Normally, these JDM version do have better specs. For those into cars and watches, you will know Honda JDM version of Civic Type R is better than the international version and similarly, Seiko JDM version is also better.

Maybe this "philosophy" carries over to badminton racquet as well?

12. Boonbeng

Boonbeng Regular Member

Life's good
    well i cant say much about this since it's classified stuff but for the benefit of the community, according to an insider, whatever u hear about the different grades and qualities of the rackets differing according to their codes has truth to it. Because some batch are used as samples for inspection. There are also differing feel of different coded rackets and strings due to the need for adaptation and modification to match the climate in the area. If u use a string from japan, u might find it easier to snap in tropical areas like Malaysia and Singapore. U can test it out yourself. I have used jp and sp nbg 98 myself and jp ones tend to be more slippery

pepe54 likes this.
  13. Boonbeng

Boonbeng Regular Member

Life's good
    :D like your thinking

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

When I have much more budget, I'll probably do tests myself.

For now, all we have is rumors on both side. I know people who have visited Yonex factories and say there is no way they could have different rackets for different codes and others who have tried a small sample of product and say there is a definite difference.

15. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    every rackets vary during production time. i could get a better sp coded racket in terms of swing speed,paint job and etc compared to a JP piece if i m lucky enough and things would change in another way. I personally tried out ALMOST 20PCS sp and jp VTZF2 4u and i conclude that they are all in very minor difference in terms of the aspects mentioned aboved inrregards it is jp sp ip or ch. the only one about zf2 and zf2 i find it really different to these commercial coded one is the one used by LCW. the rest are just the same.

16. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Everyone seems to be making assumptions based on feel and it seems to be quite subjective. Yonex's official line is that the codes are simply distribution codes for different countries.

Maybe someone rich can get a couple of the same rackets with different country codes and actually weigh the rackets on a scale and then measure the BP of each racket. Probably the best and only way you can put an end to the mystery...:)

17. Nyquist

Nyquist Regular Member

Hi just gotten my vzf2 JP from Windsor in shinjuku. The racket comes with a (velvety) cover only instead of a cover (with zip) in Singapore. Is this the

18. Nyquist

Nyquist Regular Member

Is the above the norm in Japan?

19. esppy

esppy Regular Member

20. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

either it is SP or JP coded, i believe the cost of production vary wherever you manufacture the product. If it were JP coded and made in Japan,..then it is only logical that the price could be higher than SP coded but made in China. in regards to quality built, i dont really see that Japanese workers could be anymore skillful than Chinese, and neither vice versa. Same thing could be said if Yonex rackets were produced in US or EU countries, then the price of the racket itself could double than those of JP or SP coded and similar speculation can be mentioned all over again.

If someone were saying that they "felt" JP racket is much better or lighter or heavier (depending on how you define better) than any other version, then i believe it is a way of your brain to define that expensive and rare products are ALWAYS better.

Best bet is to ask those top professional world players of their opinion on this JP vs SP vs CN coded.