2014 The Star AUSTRALIAN Open SS - Entry List & DRAW

Discussion in 'Indonesia / Australia Open 2014' started by CLELY, May 23, 2014.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

2. mclarge

mclarge Regular Member

Woah! This is a better turnout than I expected.
    Sad that LCW isn't coming back.

Can't wait!

3. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

LCW's absence is actually devastating to me. I'm glad that Lin Dan is there but to me his galactic presence means nothing without the contrast of his rival. LCW is the reason I booked the flights and so on. I'll probably be waltzing around Sydney pouting the whole time like I dropped my ice cream.

CLELY, how did you get your hands on this report? I've been on the lookout for something like this for days.

#3 Tybalt, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Hi, Tybalt...you can open BWF website, choose Event -> calendar section, then scroll down to June 2014 and click Australian Open : http://www.bwfbadminton.org/tournamentcalendar_event.aspx?id=18140

5. calvino

calvino Regular Member

radiographer
    Omg! My prayers answered! Thank you god! Would be better if LCW came too tho!

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  7. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

Oh lord, that'd be disastrous. If Lin Dan withdraws I'm cancelling everything. I'll just cop the cancellation fee because at that point there's no point in spending all this money when there's no big drawcard.

I'm still cut about LCW. They put him all over the promo stuff and he was sure he would return for the SS when he was asked in Sydney last year if he would.

I checked there but never noticed the report. Thanks buddy.

#7 Tybalt, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe Lin Dan will play in the JPN SS (his first SS tournament after 1-1/2 years) and the AUS SS, no withdrawals. LYB has said LD would be playing at least 10 tourneys this year. So far, and it's already end May, he's only played in three, the CHN Masters GPG ,the BAC and the Thomas Cup.

As an aside, I think , based on his performance at the three aforementioned events he participated, he is currently at about 80% of his best, imho. I'm keen to see how he'll fare in his first SS, the JPN Open, where he has to play from the qualification stage and then probably meet seeded players in the early rounds.

9. Heong

Heong Regular Member

As a Sydney sider I'm quite excited for this line-up of players.

But we have to expect a few of these players to withdraw. Lee Chong Wei and Chong Wei Feng has already done so, disappointingly.

Nevertheless if this draw goes through as it is, I think alot of us here in Australia will be more than happy enough. :)

10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    VILAILAK Pakkawat and KOoKien Keat are going to play together interesting....moreover I would like to watch WS finals ot WSX v/s SN/PV sindhu....
    Jwala/ashwini after UC are back in form will look forward for their performance too..

11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Its very awful at the same time hilarious to see him playing in the qualifying round..

12. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

Oh God, please don't say that. My heart can't take it. Care to take any guesses about withdrawals?

#12 Tybalt, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Must be due to their fatigue in India. Besides, I think they want to focus more on their trainings back at home to prepare themselves for the WC in August.

P/s I'm sure Lin dan would make every fans who came to watch the tournament worth their money:D

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LCW certainly wouldn't want to be reminded of his shocked,sensational loss to Tian Houwei the previous year here, the journalists will most assuredly bring the matter up should he appear. Nevertheless, I'm still a bit disappointed that he withdrew (why did he register to play in the first place? The AUS organizer must be somewhat unhappy about it too, I reckon).

Besides, for him to play three SS tourneys in a row is no longer a viable proposition now, quite tough ,to be realistic, esp when Super Dan is in the equation; maybe if he were a few years younger, he might give it a try.

15. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

They'd be furious, surely. He was all over the promotional pictures. He was the promised drawcard and he spoke pretty confidently about returning last time in Sydney. I think it's pretty poor, honestly, but understandable.

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Registration means nothing. If they register, they have the option to play or not. If they don't register, they have no options. So they would just register first and withdraw as the date nears. This is totally reasonable.

Given the three consecutive SS situation, only IO is guaranteed a good turn-out by virtue of being a SSP. JO and AO suffer as expected. Fans should be happy that the "suffering" is not as bad as some would have feared. Both JO and AO have solid casts of players.

17. mclarge

mclarge Regular Member

It won't be funny to the seeded players when one of them plays him in the first round.

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Absolutely but it won't be called an upset....its matter of luck and you can't complain as somebody or other has to face him...

19. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

An updated version of the participants was added for the 30th of May. Three reserve players and one qualifying round player have withdrawn, along with main draw player and world number 34 Ajay Jayaram of India.

A little over a week now until we reach the withdrawal deadline.

20. calvino

calvino Regular Member

radiographer
    damn! hayakawa n endo withdrew...