Park Joo Bong as a coach

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by fmqpt791004, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Qingyan

Qingyan Regular Member

Student
    thanks for the info! :D

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Is it true Park JB is leaving as Head Coach in a matter of months? When that happens, it's going to be tough for JAP badminton and might even undo some of the gains under him. I doubt JAP can afford to find a suitably qualified replacement for him. Hope Yonex can do its part in terms of funding (maybe they already have but not enough?).

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I heard that Malaysia wanted to hire Park Joo Bong...

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

But with BAM style of work, i would say its impossible;)

5. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    If terms and conditions are mutually agreeable and acceptable by PJB and BAM, then PJB would accept BAM offer.
    For BAM, they needed the right powerhouse to deliver the short term and longer term goals. For PJB, if the reward, challenges, infrastructure, support staff, players, autonomy to do his work are all set in place, he would not rule out this opportunity. If this deal doesn't go through, he can always extend his contract with JP or consider new venture.

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Park doing a great job at Japan...

7. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    He definitely is. Most badminton followers could see the differences and improvement he has brought to JP team. A trully remarkable achievement. When his contract is coming to an end next March, he's just interested in exploring what opportunities are available out there.

8. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Well, it's confirmed as of today that Park Joo Bong will continue as coach until the Olympics in Rio 2016.
    Apparently he got job offers as coach from Australia, Denmark and Malasia but decided to stay in Japan.

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Good move, Japan on the way up lots of potential, and he's already settled there. Denmark and Malaysia have potential, but why move when you are comfortable already?

10. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

11. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I saw a world rankings table for WD a few months ago and Japan had FOUR pairs in the top 10. More than even China, that was impressive, and the good news for Japan is that they are quite young and there are more youngsters coming through. The men are better but still a bit behind their women's team.

Wasn't PJB coach of Malaysia a few years ago? I remember they had a good year or two when he was there, but they seem to have really gone backwards. Germany are a good team but you would expect a team with Malaysia's higher ranked players and at home should beat them.

I think PJB is wise to avoid coaching Malaysia again. BAM has too many internal political problems and they don't always pick the best players based on their ability. Lee Chong Wei only got into the team when Morten Frost was coach and he had to threaten to resign if the then 16 year old LCW wasn't accepted into the national squad.

12. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    @ david14700
    It's definitely true that Japan team has improved a lot with PJB as a head coach. Their achievements are remarkable in the last several years. One of those examples would be in 2010 they beat Malaysia in Thomas Cup the very first time in history. Yes, to a large degree, it is wise for PJB to continue his service with Japan. As Japan (and other countries such as India and Thailand) produces more and more world class players, this is a wonderful thing for the game.

With regards to Malaysia team.....what can I say... they just loss to Germany in Sudirman Cup. Hopefully BAM has the right leader to steer them to right direction as we saw them in late 1980's.

13. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student

The last sentence of the first paragraph sounds contradicting. I think what you meant is that the men are getting better, right? :)

14. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

Did you watched him play recently? On the TV reality show =))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efjuix5II1E

I had to say he caused so much trouble for Lee Young Dae and Yoon Yeon-Seong as for an exhibition match :)

And as some of you are discussing about coaching for another countries, have you read his biology? He had coached for different national teams before joining Japan Badminton Association in 2004. And in Japan's team I saw another Indonesian coach (I guess). He sat besides Park Joo Bong for all MD matches.

15. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I read from somewhere else previously saying that he has decided to stay in Japan, first because his wife and children are already settled down in Japan, the Nippon Badminton Association (NBA) provides full support to his children's studies in Japan. Secondly, Japan is near to Korea, compared to Denmark, Malaysia, and etc. It's about 1 hour flight from Japan to Korea, he can go back to Korea whenever he likes since the distance is short.

The Indo coach you mention is Reony Mainaky (Rexy's brother). He has been coaching Unisys for quite some time.

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

He also mentioned that, one of the reasons he left Malaysia is that the target given by BAM is too high, like BAM wanted him to produce Olympics Champion, World Champion, Thomas Cup Champion, Asian Games Champion and etc. He felt very stressful, thus he had decided to resign from BAM.

17. koowakchai

koowakchai Regular Member

Malaysia always want unrealistic achievement. And want it ASAP. In addition too much politics in malaysia badminton. No good coach will stay long.....look at morten frost and rexy....good examples. ;);)

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    MAS has no patience. They thought they are MC or Chelsea.

19. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Not sure whether mission accomplished by Park. Whether he will stay until 2020 Tokyo Olympic.

20. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

at least first mission accomplished, i.e. TC. Next to go, AG champion, WC champion, SC, UC. We'll see his decision after 2016. :D