Thomas Cup - Malaysia Team

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by soulpx, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

limsy boy, dream came thru, and exceeded target...:D

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    12 years last time in the final and 22 years last won the Cup.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    We were both wrong.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    This is the best chance for Malaysia. I am afraid to say, next time China will learn their lesson and other countries like Japan will only grow stronger. Lcw will only get older and so will tbh. So it is either Sunday or will have to wait quite a few more years.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, MAS is the underdog for this tie.
    As I mentioned yesterday, LCW, based on his match against TS is not a sure point against Tago.
    MD1 - JPN is stronger
    MS2 - Maybe a bridge too far for CWF.
    MD2 - Close.
    MS3 - Better field GSH and assign DL as the CHEER LEADER.

6. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

Is LCW injured?I saw his twitter mentioning that about his swollen & painful foot

https://twitter.com/lee_c_wei

I guess the final depends on which team is able to cope under pressure & more eager to win.
    I'm worried if LCW fails to win the 1st point then the Mas team will falls apart.

#126 xsakurax, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. markchan

markchan Regular Member

I was very glad to be proved wrong too ! :D

8. markchan

markchan Regular Member

If both MAS and JPN are to bring their A game to the courts tomorrow, it will be very xplosive! Can't wait.

Praying for MAS 3 - 1 JPN

If the score at 2 - 2, can DL be expected to take on SS? Very hard liao.

9. markchan

markchan Regular Member

LOL....I did see him cheering very hard yesterday. Maybe to say ..""Please win...I don't wanna take the responsibility of last singles..."

10. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Wow I just realized that it has been over two decades the last time Malaysia won the Thomas Cup... quite long in terms of human's one generation lifetime.

Agree 100%!! NOW is the best chance for MAS...or possibly further decade away in long, silent waiting...LCW and TBH may not be around in next TC.

I have very high confidence MAS team will make it this time... and it most likely a 3-0 business.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I'd be very happy for Malaysia to win something big. The 1992 Thomas Cup was the last "badminton world championship" of any sorts that Malaysia has won in the past 2 decades. The fans deserves the joy of celebration and Jubilation.

However, being such a huge and nationally significant the Thomas Cup can be, caution should also be thrown. It will be easy for the "management" to just say, "oh, wait, there is nothing wrong with our badminton program then, look at this shiny cup." and then the status quo will continue and whatever problems that exists will continue.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Excellent comment, Kwun!

I was there in 1992. We won the cup during the era where BAM was most professionally managed. It wouldn't have happened without some major decision making, such as using foreign coaches and training methods since 1988 (A taboo decision during the time).

Here and now, the new BAM is still finding their footing - and the concern is that grassroots development is still far behind the likes of India, Thailand. Let's not even mention Indonesia, Denmark, Japan, Korea, China .....

Take for example, ex World Junior Champ Zulfadli Zulkifli. Where is he now amongst Kento Momota and Viktor Axelsen?

Probably the best tonic is for LCW to retire and Malaysia to return to the dark days of the mid 70s before some better decisions and policies come through. Bitter medicine is always the best treatment.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I feel that LCW can be counted on to deliver the 1st point for MAS as his only nemesis is still LD and no-one else, not Chen long as much. It should come down to CWF being the hero again as it is pivotal for him to beat Kento. MD1 is 50-50 though once LCW takes the opening match, TBH/HTH will be extra motivated and carry forward yesterday's momentum whilst the JPN MD1 would be under more pressure to even the score.

Should it come down to WS3 then I'm afraid Sho Sasaki is the more steady and reliable one unless Darren Liew can just let himself go and play freely which I think it's not very likely. Whatever, I will be rooting for MAS to take the Thomas Cup tomorrow after a long period of 22 years - a victory that will do MAS badminton great good as JPN is already improving steadily and doing better than MAS, generally speaking, apart from LCW's (personal) achievements, that is.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ZZ refuses to go to BAM, enters SS tournaments and doesn't get very far, or he withdraws from matches. Even the Thomas Cup trials, he excused himself. The guy doesn't want to do himself justice or his father doesn't want to give up control of coaching. Perhaps his father is also being paid to coach ZZ but if ZZ goes to BAM, then the father loses income. Who knows the exact reasons? But whatever, it is, ZZ won't go further with the same strategy he currently undergoes.

#134 Cheung, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  15. flite

flite Regular Member

I am happy for the Malaysian badminton team for advancing to the TC Final. Congratulations! It was really out of everyone's expectation... at least to me. I wish them luck but deep down I am yearning for the Japanese to be crowned champion.

Looking back, they had came a very long way through hard work of meticulous planning, employed renowned and dedicated coaches which were given a free hand to work their craft and also the authority to make decisions. Most importantly they have got the right attitude nurtured into their players which in badminton term translate as mental toughness. Simply said, they have a system in place.

On the other hand, the scenario in the BA of Malaysia is an entirely different story altogether. How's the difference? If you asked me, it's the exact opposite of what has taken place in Park Joo Bong's managed team and maybe even more... but enough said.

In my humble opinion, beside LCW, all other members of the M'sian squad are either rolling on a sudden surge of good form or this thing called beginners luck. This apply to the scratch pair of TWK/GWS who were not really being tested as they were pitted against another scratch pair from the Danish side and also the not so establish Korean combination. Anyway credit to them for playing with so much courage. TBH/HTH on the other hand were lucky with that match point saved when the Indonesians were holding game point in the rubber. Only CWF truly deserves credit for his real improvement but he has not proven his consistency yet. There are many ??? yet to be answered.

Also rumors has it that the government has announced its rewards awaiting the the team officials and players, whereby if they were to successfully bring the Cup home, they would all be made instant millionaires and more Datukship to conferred. I hope this is not the only motivation of them playing so well thus far because through our history, all these over-the-top cash prizes and recognitions are another beginning of a new slump. Players would get big headed and difficult.

Can't we be wise for just one time BAM!

With those cash to spend, a wiser option would be to utilize it for grass root development and let's work our way from the ground level up. When enough hard work, effort and great dedication are put in place by all quarters, we would one day become champion eventually. The time is just not right yet.

As for the Japanese team, you truly deserve to be the winner of this TC edition.

fr: A Malaysian badminton supporter.

#135 flite, May 24, 2014
  16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the turth of the matter is MAS needed the first point from the MS1, no if or but, if they couldn't get that first point that will be it. On the other hand, JPN can actually affort not to, of course they will love to, get that first point.

And that might tip the balance of the advantage that MAS has for the first single, have to wait and see.

#136 AlanY, May 24, 2014
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

No kidding, my heart skipped 2 beats when Tan saved match point with that between the legs save! :eek:

The last time I've seen him on so much fire was in 2007/2008.

18. flite

flite Regular Member

That was a 1/1000 possibility shot. Like I've mentioned they got lucky with that point.

I do not remember seeing such incident happen at such crucial stage.

19. julianng

julianng Regular Member

I don't know what you are expecting from all of this... but this is as good as it gets for the team you support(if you are really one). With the expectation that you have, the badminton development that you propose would take msia another 24 years to win the TC, because arguably said, they don't have the culture of other nations like japan, korea or china. What you propose is just not possible for that team.

Even China was lucky in atleast a few TC matches they won in the past 10 years. The same goes for INA, KOR, DEN, JPN. This is why the sport is so attractive.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Same with flite.

On one hand, as a badminton fan I would like to see a new champion, what more for the hard work and time they put in.

On the other, as a Malaysian, I would like them to win but the consequences may have some ill effects.

I am in a dilemma. It would have been easier if the other finalist is CHN.:)