Do women and men play the same in singles?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by JustinG, May 24, 2014.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I've been watching a lot of the Thomas Cup this past week, and quite abit of women's badminton singles. I've noticed that the women play differently than the men's in singles which I find interesting. Here are some of my observations: 1. They seem to be in a rush on most shots 2. Make a lot of silly mistakes that you don't see often in men's singles 3. Almost no backhand clear, except for maybe Wang Yihan 4. No jump smash while men jump smash regularly 5. Seem to lack patience during rallies like Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei, Ratchanok may be an exception 6. And lack of utilizing clears while favoring cross-court drops.

This is just some of the things I've seem to notice over the last week of watch Thomas Cup. What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Is men's singles and Women's singles different games or are they closer than farther apart?

Cheers,

Justin

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

They are massively different at the elite level as you've noticed. However, in general they tend to play more 'slow' rallies than men. I think the arena they are playing in is quite good for smashing so the style of everyone is affected compared to other super series. You should watch some more matches from previous SS events to get a better over-all picture.

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, a lot
    More really high serves? Than short.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Because women are slower in their speed

Definitely. Mens and Womens Singles matches are not the same.

For example, Low Services are for servers who are quick to encounter quick replies.

Currently, High Services in Women Singles are most often used, Why? Because women are slower in their speed to respond.

5. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Not sure if thats entirely correct, girls reactions at the net in mixed would tend to indicate that their reactions are equally as fast. Perhaps the games are different because of the lack of power in smashes etc thus the games become far more tactical

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think LXR plays like Lin Dan, especially footwork.

#6 pcll99, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014