A short story about string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gollum, Apr 15, 2005.

1. iPutTheBad

iPutTheBad New Member

@snack62:
    What kind of string you are using for your BS 12? I am using Yonex BG 68 Ti at 23 lbs, but I am not that satisfied with the playing. Looking for the right tension and/or the right string.

Anybody has a suggestion?

Cheers

2. snack62

snack62 Regular Member

I'm currently using a Victor brave sword 12. with tension of 25/23 lbs. will i smash better with a higher tension?

3. snack62

snack62 Regular Member

thanks for the reply, i've cut the strings n restring my racq, the guy who did my racquet done a bad job. wasnt really 23lbs. Any good suggestions in sydney?

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    what is it with the theory lower tension is more power and higher tension is more control? i had a nanospeed 100 stringed at 22 then my coach let me use a voltric70 with28lbs and i probably hit harder by 150% . Was this just the head heavy racket or the string tension difference?

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

150% is far stretched, but might be the better timing with the string or the head heavier racket. Or maybe you didn't hit harder at all but the string felt so......happens to me all the time with new strings :D First few hits are like 'Wow I could just punch holes in anyones defense right now' and in the real match situation it's more like 'Why won't you die!! Die!!!!!!!" ;)
    Harder strings feel much more alive, but actually offer less power than softer strings most of the time. The increase touch on net and drop shots might be worth it though.

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Thanks for the enlightment.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol! That goes thru my mind and I hate that too when my opponents keep defending what I thought were killer smashes... :p

8. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I really think its was jsut the racket now because when ever i use it I could just lightly tap the shuttlecock and it would go into the center of the opponents court while with my nanospeed it just barely go over the net. Maybe that was in the design considering ones headlight and the other one has "tri-voltage" technology. BTW, does someone know if trivoltage technology is legit or is just a gimmick?

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well there is weight added in the 3 places indicated - whether it's more effective to center it there compared to an 'ordinary' head heavy racket I don't know.
    The thing is, a NS100 is not a top-range racket, whereas the VT70 is - that might add to the power difference. The medium shaft and head heavy balance make it very easy to get some power out of, but personally, I found it too soft for the head load and a bit weird in drive/defense situations, kinda unstable.

This thread should be about string tension though, so any further questions should be asked in a VT70 or Yonex thread ;)

10. delaneau

delaneau Regular Member

Real Estate Negotiator
    My 2 cents...watever tension u play once u get used to it, it wouldnt be a problem...its just individual prefrece...the tighter it is it will be more accurate and more sensitive to your arms...less repulsuon more accuracy

11. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    I am a stringer and it pains me to say that the statement above is very difficult to get thru to the (amateur) player. People think the opposite all the time. Plus if their strings move during the game, it's not tight enough.....I can tell stories here about string tension requirements. One guy came to me and wanted 35lb BECAUSE his Apacs Tantrum Light Exclusive is rated for 35lb..... whow! I got a score more of those.

12. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I've been playing with string tension at 24 lbs for years. Recently, I had my racket strung at 28 lbs. I don't think I've become better or worse because of a higher tension, BUT when a forehand or backhand clear is properly hit, the crispness and the explosive sound coming from the high tension string is absolutely captivating. I'm simply in love with this sexy hitting sound and don't think I'll ever go back to a lower tension.

13. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Well at 28lbs u need power in your arms to hit well, clears and smash. There r strings which give a 'hitting sound' at lower tension if U ever want/need to revert to lower tension.

14. tangoturbo

tangoturbo Regular Member

Hi there,
    I am player as well as a stringer.
    May I point out a point, people think higher tension need power to hit, but in real life its your technic your swing that produce the power, higher tension need faster swing, I dont mean swing like a tennis style with the whole arm, I mean swing like using a wipe.

Thanks.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that this lower tension means power and high tension less is just a simple rule of thumb.

I'm used to tensions between 28-32lbs for years. Anything lower will effect less power, anything higher the same. I think that shaft, stringbed and swingstyle/swingspeed are a unity which mold a conclusion.

16. yuvi96

yuvi96 Regular Member

I am an intermediate player and currently using a carbonex 7000 df, can someone please suggest me stringing tension for this racket and i like to play in aggressive style.

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

whatever feels good for you, somewhere between 20 and 28lbs

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

On a carbonex? Dont go past 26.

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I was just being facetious.

20. yuvi96

yuvi96 Regular Member

Ok and which one will be better BG-65 or BG-06, and is 24 lbs. Tension enough?