Pan-American Team

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by TheComedian, Apr 21, 2014.

1. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    Why is there no country representing Pan-America in the Thomas Cup? There is a team from Africa but not America? Whats up with that?

2. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    You're completely right. Even I'm wondering the same now.

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Interesting question.1. No teams from Pan America qualify directly and they have to go the route of mercy rule.2. Africa, Pan America and Oceania are guaranteed one spot in either Thomas Cup or Uber Cup. Note, it is "either", not "both".3. Canadian Uber Cup team at 99,698 edged out USA Thomas Cup team at 96,566. So Canada took the mercy rule spot for Pan America.Now, I can't figure out how Singapore got in the Thomas Cup before USA, despite of a lower point total at 83,226.

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I would be very surprised if the US is ranked higher than Singapore.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The seeding date for TC was the first Thursday of March which was the 6th, don't know why the detailed updated version of 27th March is there because it should be irrelevant? but anyway Singapore must have had more points than USA on the 6th March, otherwise it makes no sense.

6. RedShuttle

OK, it's the BWF. I should know better. The tables on the left are for qualification. The ones on the right are for seeding. The qualification tables show positions that need to be converted into team points. The seeding tables show individual ranking points. Let me revise my numbers by saying that Canadian Uber Cup Team edged out the US Thomas Cup Team by the team points of 1,875 vs 1,625. And Singapore Thomas Cup Team, at team points of 1,750, was also ahead of the US Thomas Cup team. This makes more sense now.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

8. ullisse

ullisse Regular Member

If I see the list of the team qualifiers (http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=541593&dl=1), it appears to me that there are 32 spots for both Thomas and Uber Cups. The 26 spots (13 spots TC and 13 spots UC) are for the countries that are automatically qualify for TUC competition. The last 6 spots of Thomas-Uber Cups (3 spots TC and 3 spots UC) are guaranteed for the best reserves from: 1. Asian: 1 team 2. Oceania: 1 team 3. European: 1 team 4. African: 1 team 5. Pan-American: 1 team 6. The best country of the reserves. In this case: 1. Asian: Singapore - TC 2. Oceania: Australia - UC 3. European: France - TC 4. African: Nigeria - TC 5. Pan-America: Caanada - UC 6. The best reserve: England: UC What do you think? :)

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

[MENTION=40637]RedShuttle[/MENTION] both US and Singapore 1875 points each. Maybe points added from last Thomas cup to top up Singapore.

10. RedShuttle

Upon further review, qualification is by "team strength" (based on ranking point calculation), not by team points. Now, I don't know why BWF showed the table of positions which is relevant only for team point calculation but not for "team strength" calculation. I will just shut up and leave it to the infinite wisdom of BWF.

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

^ What other ways are there of calculating team strength? didn't see it in the rules anywhere, would be nice if someone could clear this up as I am also back to not having a clue why Singapore was picked instead of USA.

12. RedShuttle

Team Point Method: convert player ranking positions (not ranking points) to team points and add them up, plus extra team points from the Cups. Ranking Point Method: directly add individual players' ranking points together.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

That's what I thought, but China are above Indonesia when calculated like that including previous Thomas cup rank points top up. The only thing I can think is that they do it this way initially for picking the countries then after they have the countries sorted, they calculate on straight up addition of players rankings total to seed the country? Not clear in the rules anyway.

14. RedShuttle

Going by the invitation letter, both qualification and seeding are by "team strength" which was defined as by ranking point method. China and India were qualified as defending Champion and host. So their rankings don't matter for qualification. Guaranteed to qualify are the defending champion, the host, and the top 14 teams. Others are subject to a bunch of rules. Note that the top 14 may include the defending champion and the host. So even the No. 15 team has no guarantee although it may be No. 13 after excluding the defending champion and the host. This is to guarantee free spots available to include teams from Pan America, Oceania and Africa.

15. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    So, reading these posts and looking at the points and such on the BWF website, what RedShuttle mentioned earlier makes the most sense to me.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What Post? he changed his mind a few times.

17. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    This one :p

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Could you please explain why you think this is right, sorry I am still seriously confused! For the Thomas cup. If you converted both Singapore and USA positions to points they both had 1875 points. If you use the theory of previous Thomas cup points are added, USA got 750 and Singapore only 388 so that is not correct because USA should be qualified there. If you use the theory that it is players points added up together USA had a lot more than Singapore. There is something missing, would love to know what.