WOW... Just WOW... String Broken in 1 DAY!!!~!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Mar 30, 2014.

1. yus76

yus76 Regular Member

clerk
    last time i had a similar problem when im using bg66um as my main string. not even 1 hour playing my string gone. many people say bg66um its very fragile and easily break, and untill one stage im starting using YY nanogy98, very happy now. my string can last more then 2-3 months or even more.
    so can save some money for other stuff:rolleyes:
    my current string tension is 28lbs - YY iforce, 29lbs - YY VT80PG(4u) and 28/30lbs - YY vtzf 2(4u)

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

**** happens...

3. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Coming from a amateur stringer (100+ string jobs, not completely noob, but not like i'm a full time stringer either), majority of snapped strings were due to a mishit. When you hit the shuttle off centre, instead of hitting maybe at 4 intersection of strings, the shuttle only hits one string. This will cause the string to snap instantly, as the tension near the frame is higher (imagine a strip of rubber band, loose in the middle, and tight at the ends being held.).

The higher the tension, the more likely that it will snap from a mishit. I've done my own string jobs, and simply put, I've had strings that lasted so long that the tension dropped way below my liking. Other times, I've snapped my strings on the 3rd shot of a warm up.

I've used to use BG66UM for a good year or two, but the strings cost quite a bit, and added on top of how frequently they snap, I thought it wasn't the most economical plan. I switched over to BG-80P, which is a nice improvement over the original BG80. I've found a nice balance between hitting feel and how frequent I have to string my own rackets.

Some (uncalled for) friendly advice from a not completely noobish badminton player:
    1. When a string snaps, look where the string has snapped. If it's near the frame. 9/10 you've mishit. If this happens, it's time to look into the consistency of your strokes and make sure you hit the sweet spot consistently.
    2. After stringing a racket, make sure you let the string rest for a good 24 hours before you start playing. Generally, a day should be good enough for the tension to settle into the frame, but there's no real scientific evidence or explanation to why this is done. This is really hand me down information, that I can't verify, and I've seen players like Taufik hand a racket to be strung during a game, and start playing with it when it's done stringing. (yeah, 10 minute string job, blows my mind too.)
    3. Tension itself should not be the problem since I would consider 24lbs still in a comfortable range, as I personally play around 28-32lbs (depending on the strings). Stay at the same tension, but change the thickness of the string, and find what you're comfortable with. Changing the tension you play at can affect your shot quite a bit, as you need to adjust your stroke speed accordingly.

Hope this helps in some way, shape or form:)

4. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Bg80P is not that much more durable than Bg66UM even tho its a bigger gauge. However the tension drop is much more bearable. 66UM good for first 2 weeks and then thats it.
    Once I use up all my 66UM, will be exclusively Bg80P going forward as well.

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I don't think it is the string that is the problem.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

User error. ;)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

try ashaway zymax 70 or ashaway microlegend xl. i've never broken any string in my life except for victor vs850 after using it for a month. my only conclusion is that you're probably a hard hitter tho you might not think you are.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Interesting. Tks kwun, just read that other thread.

My theory is that OP's tension of 23-24 lbs is too low for his amount of power. When he hits a hard smash, the strings then move more than they would due to the low tension, thus causing more movements and abrasions than normal at the intersections especially at the sweetspot, ultimately leading to premature breakage there.

Assuming he's not breaking near the frame from mishits of course.

#29 visor, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

that would only make sense if he was seeing fraying.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

"also, the string ALWAYS has strayed splits at the intersection of the mains and crosses around the sweetspot area."

Yep, from his other thread that kwun was referring to, that's what he said.

12. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    As Kwun as stated, all my string does NOT break at the edges...

Almost 99% of all my string breakage occurs at the sweetspot area as I mentioned in the OP as well as one of my earlier threads.

13. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Indeed, the fraying really depends on the string. The recent strings I have used, some does not even fray, typically lasting a day to a few days, and just snaps. Some of them does fray a bit before snapping, and these that tends to fray a bit lasts a couple weeks or so.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

So, next time you re-string, try 26-27 lbs and see if it lasts longer.

15. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    HOWEVER, what is weird is that searching around the forums, most people's strings always break at the Mains...

But my strings almost EXCLUSIVELY (80%-90%) breaks at the CROSS...

Because of this, I suspect slice shots might not be a main contributor to my string breakage as a slice normally moves the Mains more than Crosses..... (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Some of you guys are suggesting me to lower my tension, while some are suggesting increase my tension... In the past I have played tension up to 29 lbs and have no issues, and played with downwards to 20 lbs and have no issues...

I will try to experiment with the tension a bit, however I did find that I have much more powerful smashes with 29 lbs compared to 22 or 20 lbs.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    maybe it is simply because you hit too hard.

life is not fair. :(

17. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

lol. I probably need someone to record me playing and reevaluate whether my smashes are too hard.

When I play, sometimes I do not even realize how much power I might be generating in a smash. I just swing as fast as I can for a full smash, and wrist snap for a half smash... Whether how hard the smash is or how fast it might seem to be, it is a bit difficult to tell from a player's perspective.

I guess I have to lay off the full smashes and resort to half smashes to prolong my string life; that is until I can find a durable string and a good tension without the strings snapping too often.

I have spent almost $100 on labor, and around $50-60 for strings in the past a month or so... And that is about $150-$160, plus Aeroplane Black shuttles, as well as court fees..

The cost of breaking strings often is really costing a large chunk of my monthly badminton budget lol... -_-""

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Time to get your own stringing machine and DIY. ;)

19. gy79bc

gy79bc Regular Member

programmer
    Wow ! Too much power. I had NBG98 at 25 LBs and it takes me one year
    to break it and I am smash pretty hard also. Not as hard as you.

Since you are in Canada, and it's winter and cold. You can try to steam the string bed for 2 minutes. Also you can change your 3U rackets to 4U.

Toalson Nano, Gosen string are very durable strings.

20. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

I play in a temperature controlled facility where the temperature is around 21 degC to 23 degC all year round on the indoor courts. The temperature should not be any issues.

I use many different weights, from a 2U Cab20, Arc11 3U Gosen Ryoga, Ti-10, MP-99, NR700RP to a 4U Z-Force

I typically stay with 3U or 2U since that is what I prefer. For some heavier head balanced rackets like my Z-Force, using a 4U is good.

But as far as power output, as I mentioned in the previous post, from my perspective as a player, it really is hard to compare my own power varying with rackets and strings especially if the power difference is minimal and not extreme drastic in change.

So, in my opinion based on my feel and sound, as well as how my opponent react to defense my smashes, I would say my power on a 3U even balanced to slight head heavy to a 4U Z-Force head heavy is similar. And I will not be will to switch to a 4U head light racket just because it probably take me some time to adjust to it as my swing will be much faster...