2014 Yonex New Racket (Voltric Z-Force II / VT-ZF2)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ZeroSOFInfinity, Jan 14, 2014.

1. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

Agree on ZF2 being different to Zf1.
    Transition from FB to ZF2 is not a problem if you can handle the smaller frame.

2. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I now have a ZFII for testing.

I'll report again when I get the opportunity to play. I'm going to borrow a ZF so I can compare.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Interested to hear your thoughts. Try and get them strung at the same tension if you can. Ideally a fairly high one, as low tensions on these sorts of ultra stiff head heavy rackets could be counter intuitive.

4. nelson1990

nelson1990 Regular Member

student
    Naim, if I always string my zf with 23x25lbs, does it mean that I never bring out the potential of my racket?

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Depends on what sort of a player you are I guess. Some people may prefer lower tensions. I personally find 26-27lbs about my max threshold, after that, for my swing, it gets too demanding and hard hitting for me to properly manage. But with my ZF2 I'm currently using ZM62 at 24/25 and it feels great. This thin guage string seems to prefer a slightly lower tension than I usually go for.

But I've noticed in some of Paul's reviews he's using rackets strung slightly higher, and then others lower. Would be nice to get the two he's going to compare matching for best comparison purposes! Get the feeling Paul has a pretty strong shoulder and arm as he seems to get on with head heavy rackets.

6. nelson1990

nelson1990 Regular Member

student
    Ok! I'm a offensive player but 23x25 is my limit. Well, I hope Paul can bring us more info about his review!

7. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    I've had my eye on this racket for a while now since it's quite simply the best looking racket I've ever seen.

Now my question is, my current go-to racket is the MX JJS. How does the Z-Force II's balance and stiffness compare to the JJS?

8. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I'm going to do a full comparison soon, but the JJS is also my go to, and I've only had one play session with the ZF2, with my next being on Wednesday.

The ZF2 is slightly head heavier than my JJS (308mm vs 306mm), and it's also slightly stiffer (9/10 vs 8/10). So in that regard they're quite similarly spec'd, but very different in head shape, slimness and general design.

All I'll say for now is that the ZF2 packs a bit more of a punch over the JJS, and does not really lose out much, if anything on manoeuvrability either. However, it is less forgiving on both my shoulder and in terms of timing, since the head is smaller, but you do get used to it pretty quickly.

I'll form my full opinion after Wednesdays games, but for now I'm very keen on both the JJS and the ZF2. Both are aggressive rackets that do not sacrifice much in the way of speed and handling, and have a very solid and rewarding feel. I do get a touch more hold with the JJS, compared to a more direct snap from the ZF2, but I think that added crispness and stiffness of the ZF2 could be moulded to being an advantage in my game after more practice.

Will update soon.

9. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for that quick comparison. Seems like the ZF2 will be a pretty good match for me.

The extra head heaviness without the speed penalty due to the smaller frame is exactly what I'm looking for. I've played with the Z-Speed (same frame shape as the ZF2) and I didn't have any timing issues so I hope it'll be the same with the ZF2.

Although, I was hoping the ZF2 would be around the same stiffness or just a bit less than the JJS but beggars can't be choosers! :rolleyes:

In terms of where the weight is distributed in the head, is it still like the original ZF where it's basically all at the 12 o'clock position? Or is it more like the JJS where the weight is more around the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions?

10. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Just checked for you, and I honestly can't really make it out lol. I think….the ZF2 has more of it's weight at the 12 o'clock position compared to the JJS, but I can't really tell for sure. Is there any particular way to measure or gauge this? Because holding the rackets at the handles, both seem to sway in the head frame direction either way.

11. ChromZ

ChromZ Regular Member

So i had the opportunity to have a few games with my ZF2 (3U), and im not sure whether my cold is affecting my strokes or not, but i am not able to extract the power i had expected.

i trialed a demo, though it was a 4U, and had a great time with it, though the string tension is much less than what i normally use.

Though i can feel the swing speed is faster and lighter, i had a blissful time up front at the net both attacking at defending, controlling with ease.

I already play with a 3U ZF1 without any issues, and my go to is the flypower tornado800 once i feel my muscles are exhausted.

hopefully i can fully realise the potential of the ZF2 once i have recovered from my cold.

12. Deity

Deity Regular Member

^ its probably because of daylight savings. Try again in a couple days or something.

13. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    DO NOT go for a higher tension than you normally would. Stick with what you know, and adjust from there.

The ZFII does not 'require' higher tensions. If anything, if it's a more rigid structure than your current go-to racket, you may need lower tensions to replicate the feel and avoid injury.

Stick with what you know, at least initially.

14. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Initially I'll test ZF2 at factory tension, but this time re-string at 25lbs and see how it plays.

By the way, Tago was stringing his Nanoray Z Speeds at 35lbs mains and 38lbs crosses at All Englands. Thank goodness I wasn't stringing those.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

15. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Wish I knew what the point of that was. There must be a point where there's so little elasticity left in them they must take on a characteristics and feel completely foreign to me. I can handle .70 strings at 28-30lbs but anything over that is pointless for my very mediocre abilities. All it equals is pain.

16. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

I can imagine these high tensions are crucial in terms of net control. A very high tension may help a lot at that level. 38lbs sound really high and yeah, he surely gets provided with more than enough rackets. All he has to take care off is that he eventually might loose a point due to string snapping. It is quite easy to break the string at that tension and if the string snaps even the frame might crack. Basically the string will snap the moment you have an off center hit.

Tested 33lbs with UM66 myself and it was just fine. Incredible touch at the net makes it a joy to aim for the tape and smashes had a characteristic thunder sound with pin point accuracy. Still, I prefer BG80 29lbs tension because durability and reliability is important. Imho more than 32lbs is not really needed, even at semi-pro or even pro level. This is personal preference though.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

What string does Tago use?

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Probably rope lol

19. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

If I would use that kind of tension, there will be one reason.
    That is for the performance after tension drop.
    Bg66um drop tension very fast.
    At pro's power, bg66um might drop 15% tension in only a few shots.
    To string 15% more than ideal tension, and wait for it drop.
    The result is a consistent high tension.
    I think this is why ppl using bg66um tend to use higher & higher tension.
    Tension is never enough for BG66um. HaHa

20. okooko

okooko Regular Member

Student
    Pro's have enough racquets anyway haha
    they carry about 5-6 of them

funny to see the mens dbl's final at the all england when the japanese player's racquet ate a shuttle...