Review: Yonex Voltric Z Force II

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by LoneRanger, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    I guess everyone just wants to save that little bit of cash.. badminton is an expensive sport :rolleyes:

This thread is getting sidetracked, more reviews on the ZF2 please!

2. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Yes please more reviews of the VTZF2. Seems like people are more receptive to it than the NRZS for sure. To get an accurate idea of what head shapes are like, you could try tracing it on separate sheets of paper. Then superimpose the tracings and see how they match up. I'll do the same once I pick up a VTZF2.

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I did find that strange as well, that the Nanoray Z-speed has far more mixed reviews compared to the Z-Force 2. Not sure why that is, maybe because the ZF2 has a better aerodynamic design, the new grommet system, coupled with the stiffer shaft and perhaps better materials or internal composition? Some have mentioned the feel of the ZF2 is slightly more solid than that of the ZSP.

One part of the ZSP frame that I did think was odd is the little dimple or inward groove towards the top area of the head frame, directly above the upper strings. Not sure what purpose it serves, but it's not there with the Z-Force 2 (or any other racket I've looked at recently).

#83 Naim.F.C, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I think that groove might be similar to what the tk8000 has below the bottom strings. Idk the purpose but probably the same idea.

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    The head design of the ZFII is the same as the NRZS except slightly bigger. The reason the NRZS has has mixed reviews is that Yonex has packed a lot of innovation into the one design and consensus (and my limited time with it) suggests not all elements are in complete symbiosis with each other. It's a bit of a one trick pony.

If I was Yonex I'd be learning from them both and releasing a new Z-Slash.

6. Jyu0910

Jyu0910 Regular Member

Went to All Court Stringing to get mine and was able to get a pretty good pricing. The only thing is they are so far away (I live in Richmond)!

7. Buddhist_fist

Buddhist_fist Regular Member

Lucky you. Bought plenty of things at All Court, but they never have given me a discount.

8. okooko

okooko Regular Member

Student
    I've seen lots of 3ug5 and 4ug4's which i assume is the first batch of sorts, surely the 3ug4 and 4ug5's will be out soon

9. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

head over to Topline next time, Linus and staff will definitely help ya out.

10. Buddhist_fist

Way ahead of ya!!! Linus and staff are great people. They are just further away compared to All Court.

BTW to keep within the topic. Been playing with my 4U Z Force 2 for 2 weeks now and its been a delight, however, I have some shoulder pains after each session. Will I eventually adjust to this pain or is this a characteristic of a "extra stiff" racquet?

11. alphaQue

alphaQue Regular Member

Same here. My Shoulders been hurting compared to playing with my zf1 bg65ti@27lbs. Current setup is zf2 w nbg98@ 24x26.

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Depends. Is it muscular or joint pain? It's rotator cuff pain you have to worry about. Muscles just need protein and rest.

BG65Ti is a soft string, so maybe try it on the ZFII or something like Ultimax or plain BG66 at 24x26.

Essentially you need to damp the racket some more or you'll more than likely continue to have shoulder issues.

13. Buddhist_fist

Hmmm. Currently i am using BG66um at 23X24. I don't think I have tried the BG65Ti strings unless it was on a pre-strung Yonex racquet. All I know it takes my shoulder about a week of not playing any racquet sports to somewhat recover.

14. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yep, that's probably your rotator cuff then. Be careful with that.

15. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Joint pain in your shoulder (most likely osteoarthritis) comes from a wear and tear of the joint in which the cartilage covering the bone has basically been grinded off due to excessive contact. There is no cure for this type of arthritis but you can see your doctor to see the available treatment to relieve the pain/improve joint function.

Rotator cuff is made up of a group of muscles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff

Rotator cuff injury is a result of tendon and muscle wear and tear from repetitive overhead movements. The treatment is to rest the shoulder, ice it, compress it and elevate it (RICE). I would imagine it occurs in badminton not only due to the repetitive swinging, but in order to generate power you force yourself to swing faster, which your muscles aren't used to. Swinging your arm while you're off balance or in awkward positions contribute to the pain as well. This is what most of us probably suffer from after using a stiffer racket/higher tension, or just from playing too damn long.

I only have a working knowledge of these issues, so go see a healthcare professional if you have concerns.

#95 phaaam, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

^ You won't likely see shoulder osteoarthritis in an otherwise healthy young individual. But you will see lots and lots of rotator cuff injuries especially tendon impingement and tear of the suprapinatus tendon. This especially in repetitive overhead throwing activities, like badminton, tennis, baseball, football, and even swimming and painting.

17. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Yep I agree, it's a wear and tear problem which correlates well with age along with a lot of other things. I posted about it because it can happen, and a lot of us here plan to play for decades. Since it's a joint issue, it is much more debilitating than a rotator cuff injury (muscle/tendon problem). But, my major concern would be the knees, not so much the shoulder with osteoarthritis.

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    My legs are fine, but I do come from a cycling background so that helps (and also explains why my arms/shoulders are so rubbish)

19. observer

observer Regular Member

Tested Z Force 2 , compared with my Z Force
    Impression, ZF2 definitely Head abit lighter than ZF even both is 3U. Just by swinging ZF2 is abit faster.

When comes into:
    1. Hitting Feel, ZF2 feels even more solid and stiffer.
    2. Clear/Smash ZF2 abit easier.
    In terms of smash power, If having you having stronger arms, ZF Could release a more powerful smash.
    3. Defend, ZF2 recover faster a little bit
    4. Drive, ZF2 difference not by much because both still feel heavy during drive.
    5. Accuracy, no much comment, I believe it is practice contributes accuracy.
    6. Net Shot/Placing/dropshot, very much depend on which racket/string We used to......

Just sharing personal oppinion.

20. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Hi, I am interested to know how fast is the swing speed and the maneuverability of ZF2 4U, comparing to Voltric I-Force? I am using I-force because it has very fast swing speed and very maneuverable, very vital for doubles. If ZF2 4U is as fast as I-Force, i will consider to buy one.