LI-NING WOODS N90-3 (Lin Dan LTD Racket)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I just picked up two of this racket today. Reviews coming soon.

2. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    As an owner of the AT700 First gen, second gen and the AT700LTD, as well as the N90 True gen 1, Gen 1.5, and Silver Logo N90, I was looking to see what all the hype was about.

My current favorite rackets are the True Gen 1 N90 as well as the VTZF as these two rackets both eliminated the immense lag phase on consecutive shots at the front.

First impressions was that the N90III felt lighter, much lighter than all of my other rackets. My gameplay reflects that of a lighter version of the other two as well. Clears took a little more effort, but where this racket really shined through were the quick taps at the net as well as drives had almost no wind up phase and could fire off consecutive shots while keeping up with the fastest shots that I couldn't before. If you're used to the other rackets, there's a slight adjustment required, becuase you're used to lugging around that extra head weight, but as soon as you're accustomed to it, it should suit the head heavy racket user as the balance point is very close to the N90.

They rate it as Stiff, but like all the Li Ning rackets, it's somewhat flexible in my eyes as the AT700LTD was truely the "stiffest" racket that I've played with. The flex is somewhat more than the N90 and somehow it just works well in that you can generate power on shots where you couldn't before. You'll be smashing around the head on those low side ones as well driving dead anything at the front of the net! This racket overall just pushes you to move and play at a faster rate because you can hit hard on more shots than with the other ones.

Alas, how can you gain all that speed, and power without some kind of trade off correct? My overall MAXIMUM smash speed feels slightly slower. I'm talking about those shots that are cleared to you all the way at the back, and with the N90, VTZF, I could generate enough power to end the rally, but with the N90III, it comes back more often than never. Never fear because it's still an offensive racket and anything that does comes back can be smashed or driven again even with the best block. With tougher opponents, I was finding that those one hit opportunities were far and few, so the N90III fits for those looking for a bit more speed to their game.

In conclusion, this is a must have to the collection. I tried the N90II and didn't like it as it fell short on what the N90 could do and didn't provide any special speed factor where as the N90III can. If you've been using head heavy rackets to play doubles like myself, pick this one up as I'm pretty positive that you won't regret it!

3. thekong

thekong Regular Member

Hi Optiblue,

Thank you for the review, my feeling pretty much mirrored your!

I am very interested in your comment regarding the 3 versions of the N90I you mentioned!

Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I was surprised that my latest version silver logo N90I was a little less head heavy than my N90III, so I wonder whether your samples are like that also. Thanks!

4. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Hi there, in total I own 5 N90 and discovered by accident that there's actually 3 versions as follows:

1. N90 1.0 (Black grommets, Red logo)
    2. N90 1.5 (Red grommets, Red logo)
    3. N90 2.0 (Red grommets, Silver logo)

The best feeling one is the original 1.0 as hits are pure and solid. The balance point, flex, paint and the holographic logos are all of superior quality. The only one worth paying the premium price for.

The version 2.0 with silver logos has many changes. The Grommet positioning at the bottom is slightly spaced different, the side mold groves are no longer done with laser precision and has sloppy cut offs. Holograms aren't as shiny and red paint doesn't overlap as good. It's slightly heavier, but it's not in the head and it's actually slightly stiffer too. I did some blind tests and I can tell the difference. With all the changes, it's still a very usable and good racket, but compared to the original, it's like drinking Coke vs generic cola. It will get you there, but you won't know what you're missing until you try the original. I checked all the balance points of the N90 and they are the same, but the way it feels in your hand makes the Silver Logos feel just a tad slower overall.

Now the version 1.5 I actually got by pure accident. I told a friend that I wanted the original with the Red logo. When it arrived, I noticed that although it had all the red logo, it had all the version 2.0 changes in terms of mold, paint apps and grommet style. The first thing I noticed was that this one feels the heaviest out of all the N90's. I haven't really tried this one out yet, but it's definately an off-spec version.

Upon discussing with my friends, we found out that the true Gen 1.0 N90 was costing Li Ning a lot of money to make to the point it was crazy as a new company. This holds true of all the Gen 1's not limited to N90. We figured it was most probable that the silver 2.0's were made by a different facotry as the specs and paint are so off from the original in order to cut costs and mass produce. It's either that or they threw QC out the window from the original factory and they decided to change grommet holes for no apparent reason on the "same" racket mold which makes zero sense.

The 1.5 off spec seems to have been the new facilities first batch run at reproducing the original, but made it heavier than the original and they had to fix it by 2.0. Thus there's not too many 1.5's in circulation which makes it neat to collect and play with even though I was disappointed that it wasn't a true Gen 1. It's sort of like how Yonex's AT700 Gen 1 was lighter, and then the subsequent rackets of the same name were heavier and never the same as the original. It's a very grey area and unless you work for Li Ning, we'll never know. But one things for sure, you never mess with an original unless something was wrong. Since the N90 1.0 was perfect, the only logical reasoning was to cut costs.

I can take pictures of all 3 if you want, but it's exactly as I described it. Your N90 Silver Logo should still feel significantly heavier and slower than the N90III aside from the balance point. I'll have to check their balance points and get back to you on that one!:p

#104 Optiblue, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. thekong

thekong Regular Member

Hi Optiblue, thank you for the detailed description! My silver logo N90I is definitely less head heavy than my N90III, so it is either I got an off spec sample, or Li-Ning's QC is getting worst!

I will try to add some lead tape to the frame to see how it feels.

6. Wrath

Wrath New Member

This is an awesome thread. Thanks for the inputs !

Quick question. I am looking to buy a racket and I wanted a medium stiff one. I was leaning on the Yonex Voltric 70 when I heard about this racket. I play a power game with lot of smashes.

Would this suit my needs? I really do not like the stiff VT80.

7. Yellowfish

Yellowfish Regular Member

sales
    Hi All,

Just to share N90III and N90III Lin Dan LTD Edt.

Attached Files:

8. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Does the n90III LD LTD feel any different to the standard N90III?

9. Yellowfish

Yellowfish Regular Member

sales
    The feel is the same, only the paint job diff.

10. Aravind S

Aravind S New Member

Student
    Unlike N90 and N90-II, the N90-III has a lighter head :)

11. Longtooth

Longtooth New Member

Student
    Hi Optiblue, I'm probably going to replace my trusty N90-II with the original N90 but I think I'll be getting the "2.0" version per se. I'm getting in on shopbadmintononline.com so I'll know it's authentic but is it worth even changing racquets? If you have any contacts on where I can possibly get a genuine "1.0" version, that would be helpful. Haha. Thanks!

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Where did you get your N90III Lin Dan Version?

I've been trying to purchase it online, since N90III is my all time favorite racket, but the only site that seems to be selling it charges $500 - that's insane!

13. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

How are they promoting the N90 III Lin Dan ltd when he doesn't even use it? Not even a stiffer version either. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter since it's still a collector's item. Let us know how it plays though.

I do have to hand it to Li Ning for producing boxes like that for the presentation of the racket.

I miss the first generations of Li Nings.

14. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Who are you? Why are you using Ferrerkiko's account? :D

15. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

any more reviews for the n90 iii?