About the Super Series Final

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2014' started by huangkwokhau, Dec 25, 2013.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Someone asked me how Dubai was chosen as host of SSF fir next 4 years....I have to say it is about money..BWF has not officially announced yet..it happened during the bidding of WC in Athens..I complained about how BWF organized very poorly about SSF, thought INA may host SSF in Bali ( many players requested it,including Chinese and Europeans), being told it was too late as BWF chose Dubai..no one knew about the bid..being told Dubai offers $1.6 Million compared to Bangkok with $660000..the question is who is gonna watch badminton in Dubai?,how to run it to make it special?
    This year SSF is the worst one...facility is worse than INA GPG, no warming up court on site..you have to drive 5 minutes , no adequate players lounge, so they use male and female changing room to make up one...it is so terrible...SSF is supposed to be a special treatment for Players like in tennis...BWF failed to make it happen and how you suppose others to make badminton great and better if BWF did no do so?

2. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

why 1 Million now?

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Because other $600000 will be used for paying tickets for players, referees, accommodation
    ,BWF staff and others..not cheap

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    can it be extended to badmintoncentral forum members? :D

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's good to know that the SSF is going to get a permanent home with first-class facilities, I suppose, considering it's held in Dubai, a cosmopolitan metropolis, for the next four years and with such a big prize money to boot as befitting the grand finale, the climax and crescendo of the Superseries.

I'd suggest BWF award higher ranking points for it and expand the qualifiers to 16 in each category to ensure most of the top players are in to assure its goals are fulfilled for all the parties involved. Sounds like a recipe for success, the winning formula, I hoped.

From wikipedia: Dubai has recently attracted world attention through many innovative large construction projects and sports events.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Note: Posts transferred from All England 2014 forum.

Mod

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's hard to answer since badminton isn't popular in Dubai, surprise that Dubai will host SS Finals but yeah all about money :D

8. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

Dubai will host ITTF Grand Finals 2013 with 1 Million too.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The question is who is gonna watch badminton in Dubai?

Yes, Dubai will host the ITTF Grand Finals 2013.

Link: http://www.insidethegames.biz/sport...bai-to-host-2013-ittf-world-tour-grand-finals

Not many, we should think. :):):)

But if each spectator in Dubai is willing to pay 100 times the ticket price, even if 100 times less spectators are to turn up to watch, the tournament will still be reimbursed with the same amount of money.

My hope is that the tournament will be televised worldwide; for spectators who are unable to pay so much to go there to watch.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I remain pretty much open minded on the location. On the one hand, we want novel locations for events to spread the popularity of the game. I believe novel locations makes it interesting and poses new challenges for BWF, organisers, players and coaches alike.

Does Dubai represent a backward step for the game? I don't think so. Does probable low spectator figures mean much? Recent Sudirman Cup attendances in Malaysia were a disaster.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To spread the popularity of Badminton

I still remember when Melbourne, Australia, wanted to host the 2008 Super Series Finals. I still remember what I posted:

Where is the US$250,000.00 to hold the event coming from?

It is to provide for players' expenses:
    * their air fares.
    * their accommodation.
    * their meals (this is the least expensive).
    * etc, etc. ......

BWF will only be providing for players' prize monies.

Holding the SS Finals is different matter. For other tournaments, players' expenses are paid by their players' national associations.

#11 chris-ccc, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

13. leanooi

leanooi Regular Member

Is there a requirement of only 2 entries from each country irrespective of the ranking?

14. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

So I'm curious, the top-8 players in each category will qualify for the Dubai Finals but restricted to 02 per country per category.

What if there are, e.g., 3 players from the same country in 1 category? That country chooses 2. Will the selection then be extended to the Ranked 9th player? Or its still capped at 8 and 1 player then gets a BYE?

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, each nation is limited to have maximum 2 representatives for each disciplines. And players who stands at #9 will replace the players who can't make it due to quota. For example : China has three WS at top-8 but they only can send 2 players so the #9 rank will replace that vacant position.

16. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    Women's Double is very tricky too. They're four Chinese pair in Top 9 WD ranking, so I think they have to choose two pairs, and rank #10 Indonesian will fill the 8th position for WD.

17. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

Thanks for the confirmation! :D

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Wow, i just checked BWF website. Korea PSS is moved to September!!! And Malaysia PSS is moved to end of March!!

Great. I have been advocating this change for a few years now and BWF has finally done it!!!

SSF from now on should be better..

#18 pcll99, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes Dubai could arrange cheap air fares and accommodation to entice badminton's fans all over the world to converge and make it a resounding success in a non-badminton country.

Make it special for fans, especially from BC and Badzine, to meet and play with their favorite world class players and to visit attractions together. This will certainly be something worth remembering for the fans.

It has been a very long time that badminton fans have been ignored by BWF.

20. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    It's good in one way, but March-April 2015 schedule would have been crazy. There would be 2 SSP (All England & Malaysia SSP) and 2 SS (India & Singapore SS) in 6 weeks from March 3 - April 12. Also, Korea is not PSS anymore, it has been downgraded to regular SS.