Tommy Sugiarto

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by naistav, Apr 8, 2011.

1. XoXoXo

XoXoXo Regular Member

Big Congratulations Tommy for the first SS title.. finally!! With all the determination, never-say-die mentality and hard work he did.. he really deserve it :)

With the tremendous improvement, and succeed to beat Top Ten Players, including his jinx (Nguyen TM & Chen Long) and China Players (CL & WZM).. may be this is his time!

Hope to see him continue progress and consistency.

2. badrutm

badrutm Regular Member

blogger
    for sure, he was back to PBSI since before German Open GPG 2013

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

He better work a lot harder :D

4. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Err.. Tommy proved me wrong :D. But I am pretty much ok about this :D.
    So, Tommy boy, please continue to prove us at wrong end hehehe

5. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Congrats Tommy for winning SS title in Singapore yesterday :)

6. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    agree, hahah...
    i think we should start bully hayom as hard as possible... then he will prove us wrong too :D

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    well, well.. Icuk's son is finally at the podium as the champ. His form is peaking along just nicely.

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    He actually won the final with a broken toe nails... Errrrrr

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Can Tommy Sugiarto lead the Indonesian charge?[/h]
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/06/25/can-tommy-sugiarto-lead-the-indonesian-charge/

EXCERPTS:

[​IMG]

When Tommy Sugiarto knelt down to kiss the turf at the Singapore Open after his title victory, it signalled an emotional moment in an unusual journey.

For most of his career, Sugiarto languished in the nether regions of world badminton. He would have passed off as just another middle-rung player if he wasn’t the son of former World Champion Icuk Sugiarto – and consequently, the expectations must have been high. Icuk was one of the greats of his era, and his 1983 World Championships victory over Liem Swie King is regarded as one of the greatest matches in the game’s history. Consequently, when his son started to play internationally, there was more scrutiny than usual.

Growing up, there was plenty of badminton talk at home. Tommy says his father wasn’t particularly a reflective type; the talk came from his father’s friends. “With my father, it was mostly about discussing my game,” Tommy said in a conversation with this writer. ”His friends would recollect his matches. I would play a few sessions with him too. Sometimes he gives me stroke practice. After each tournament I have a discussion with him, whether I win or lose… he pitches in while I’m training at the club.”

Unlike his father, the younger Sugiarto did not seem to possess any special gifts. While his father was a relentless retriever who achieved international success early in his career, Tommy seemed to be destined for the sport’s smaller prizes. He had an unremarkable record at the Superseries, falling mostly in the first or second rounds. He turned professional in 2010, just as many of his compatriots had done, as they weren’t getting on well with the national association.

It was at the Hong Kong Superseries late last year that the turnaround began. With wins over Wong Wing Ki, Parupalli Kashyap and Marc Zwiebler, Tommy reached his first Superseries semifinal, losing to eventual winner Chen Long. A few more impressive performances followed: runner-up at the Syed Modi GP Gold, final at the German Open, quarter-finals at the All England, and another Superseries semifinal, at the Indonesia Open.

[​IMG]

The Indonesia Open will remain a memorable tournament, for he finally achieved the long sought-after breakthrough against a top-3 player, beating Chen Long in the first round after six successive defeats to the feared Chinese. The semifinal placing at the Indonesia Open was followed by another stirring run at Singapore, where he finally triumphed after five hard-fought matches.

“I’m obviously happy to have won my first Superseries,” Sugiarto was quoted as saying in his association’s website. “My last victory over Boonsak made me confident I could beat him. In the last game I made Boonsak run around the court, and I felt superior in terms of stamina. I realized that I won the second game, I had a great chance to win the match. But I also anticipated that Boonsak would fight harder in the third game. I was ready for a gruelling match.”

Tommy Sugiarto’s success hasn’t come a moment too soon for his nation. In the aftermath of the retirement of Taufik Hidayat, and with Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Simon Santoso falling behind, his national desperately seeks a strong men’s singles player.

Whether Sugiarto can fulfil that role remains to be seen. For the moment, he offers hope that Indonesian men’s singles is not out of the picture yet.

10. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    after simon santoso, tommy sugiarto is the only MS talent in INA. even, when when Tommy was WJC runner up in 2006, Hayom was nowhere. Tommy was far above Hayom at that time.

I believe, anyone who work hard despite not having a special talent will get the result.
    Tommy is one of the few example....

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Exactly, he has good fighting spirit, resilient player typical, good luck in upcoming WChampionships :) Btw, his WR jumps to #7 now ;)

12. jks_niceguy

jks_niceguy Regular Member

SSF Final was over and Tomi got very good result to Final MS and there was not even one coment/appreciation since.
    I guess Tomi is not very populer among INA BL. In contrast with Hayom who get a lot of (un-necessary) attention, though not in a very good attention.

Btw, is anyone same as me that i was very amazed with tomi performance at SF against Tago?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuGYj56vEmo
    Tomi played briliantly in this SF match, very good defence, fast-moving footwork, very sharp attack and overall very smart in play, knew when to slow down and attacking. Simply one of best performance of tomi, and show the true about Tomi.

Many think that tomi is typical slow moving rally player and doesn't have special technique. From that performance i said tomi has shown a lot of improvement in speed and power (technically also).
    Though, as he said, next year he should improve his consistency playing in high standard.

I do really hope that tomi standard playing next year would be like that SF match in his every match. And i am sure that tomi deserve to be no 4 MS player behind, LD, LCW and CL. And hope tomi can steal one of two prestigious tourney in coming years as LD and LCW getting older.

#72 jks_niceguy, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. sen

sen Regular Member

He has proven to be at least as good as Simon in terms of achievement but still behind SDK. I think he can win premier SS title but winning World Championship probably difficult, even silver medal is hard. But anything is possible. If he has the correct mindset, he might achieve it.

14. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    Well, he doesn't possess the outstanding skill Hayom possesses; it's a rather "textbook" style. That being said, he has one potent weapon: glaring spirit. That weapon alone is inadequate to trounce "smart" players in the leagues of LCW, Lin Dan, or even his compatriot SDK. It's his biggest homework next year. This year, nonetheless, has been a quantum leap for Tommy, ending the year in 4th rank. Kudos!

15. otidh

otidh Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Wow, Tommy is at top 3 now! What an achievement! A very good achievement of him at the end of this year.

16. naistav

naistav Regular Member

I'm happily surprised that my prediction to Tommy that he is maximum will only reach top-15 MS is wrong.
    Well done. Thanks from a fans. [MENTION=101003]markuswair[/MENTION] is correct, Tommy is a kind of textbook player. But what made him this far is with all of his attitude of discipline, can-do-attitude, hardwork and all proper organized efforts.
    I hope he is still improving to remain at the top. I'm still not expecting him to be as success or as great as LD, LCW, CL or even TH or SDK, but many INA fans like are proud already. Kudos! Good luck on 2014 and onwards.

17. naistav

naistav Regular Member

I'm happily surprised that my prediction to Tommy that he is maximum will only reach top-15 MS is wrong.
    Well done. Thanks from a fans. [MENTION=101003]markuswair[/MENTION] is correct, Tommy is a kind of textbook player. But what made him this far is with all of his attitude of discipline, can-do-attitude, hardwork and all proper organized efforts.
    I hope he is still improving to remain at the top. I'm still not expecting him to be as success or as great as LD, LCW, CL or even TH or SDK, but many INA fans like are proud already. Kudos! Good luck on 2014 and onwards.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It's indeed rather surprising and pleasing to see Tommy Sugiarto being able to climb to the top 3 in the World Ranking by end of this year! It's also a make or break year for Tommy, who's already turning 25 yo this year and I think all INA fans are happy for his achievements this year, which include:
    1. Winning the Singapore Open SS title (his first of hopefully many to come)
    2. Reaching the Final of the BWF World SSF in his first attempt and beating Kenichi Tago twice in the competition!
    3. Reaching QF at the All-England Open SSP & World Championships, further solidifying his credential as a top 8 players in the World in the 2 most prestigious tourneys this year.
    4. Reaching the Final of German Open GPG, losing to Chen Long.

Overall record this year - W32 L19
    World Championships: QF (Lost to Lee Chong Wei)
    Sudirman Cup: Lost to Chen Long (2x)

SSP & SS Tourneys:
    1 Title (Singapore)
    1 Runner-Up (World SSF, Lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Lee Chong Wei)
    2 SF (Hong Kong - Lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Indonesia - Lost to Marc Zweibler)
    2 QF (All-England - Lost to Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk, French - Lost to Kenichi Tago)
    2 R16 (Denmark - Lost to Chen Yuekun, China - Lost to Wang Zhengming)
    5 R32 (Korea - Lost to Marc Zweibler, Malaysia - Lost to Sho Sasaki, India - Lost to Gurusaidutt R.M.V, China Masters - Lost to Kento Momota, Japan - Lost to Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk)

GPG Tourneys:
    1 Runner-Up (German - Lost to Chen Long)
    1 SF (Indonesia - Lost to Simon Santoso)
    1 R32 (Thailand - Lost to Thammassin Sitthikom)

To summarize his losses:
    Chen Long - 3x (avenged in the Indonesia SSP, record is 3-1 to Chen Long's favor)
    Marc Zweibler - 2x (avenged in the World Championships, record is 2-1 to Marc's favor this year)
    Lee Chong Wei - 2x
    Sony Dwi Kuncoro - 2x
    Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk - 2x
    Kenichi Tago - 1x (avenged in the World SSF twice)
    Gurusaidutt R.M.V. - 1x (avenged in the Indonesia SSP)
    Wang Zhengming - 1x (avenged in the Hong Kong SS, record is 2-1 to Tommy's favor this year)
    Kento Momota - 1x (avenged in the Denmark SSP)
    Chen Yuekun - 1x (avenged in the French SS)
    Simon Santoso - 1x
    Thammasin Sitthikom - 1x
    Sho Sasaki - 1x

19. jks_niceguy

jks_niceguy Regular Member

Please don't mention tommy is a kind text book player anymore. I think it's not a very good word to describe tommy performance NOW. A text book playe is OLD tommy.

Please watch tommy performance at recent tournaments, now tommy is improving a lot and deserve to be Top 4 MS World Ranking (and so not called text book player).

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, the highest WR in his badminton career, good job :)
    2014 big events : Thomas Cup, Copenhagen WC, Incheon AG, hopefully he will perform better than this year!