looking for pc software to manage queing at our club

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bob506, May 27, 2013.

1. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi All,

a very important and significant update for all clubs using the timer based simulation.

When I first started this project there was a very heavy emphasis on the social side of the selections that the application made which is by and large absolutely fine. However now and again in the interests of preventing the same players playing each other all the time the occasional bad mismatch was happening e.g. level 2 versus level 9 which is not ideal. I've decided that it should be possible to make the social aspect a secondary consideration to a grade mismatch (if required), giving a more balanced level of skills for this occasional scenario.

You can now set a maximum acceptable grade spread as the primary consideration when the system is selecting without compromising fairness, i.e. all players will regardless get an equal amount of playing time, guaranteed.

In hindsight (isn't hindsight wonderful) I should of had this in the system from the beginning, however it's there now, details and downloads are available at the usual location,

http://www.badboard.net

kind regards,
    Tweeter

2. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi All,

this thread has seriously deteoriated, hope everyone is ok.
    A very good suggestion was made to me regarding the game based option. The club in question are not particularly interested in stats, and as such I have made the once compulsory entering of scores on completion of a game optional. Simply go to the system settings screen to turn this option on/off.

Full details available at the usual location,

http://www.badboard.net

kind regards,
    Tweeter

3. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

Very interesting, will download it for a trial at the club

4. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Out of curiousity how did the trial work out for you?

regards,
    Tweeter

5. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This thread has unfortunately died off quite a bit. Contributors who were once very active here have all but disappeared. Has anybody got any feedback at all regarding software for club play?

Or should we just let the thread die?

regards,
    Tweeter

6. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I'm resurrecting this thread as there has been a lot of enhancements/improvements made to BadBoard, and also David Yammouni of the Melbourne Smashers Badminton club has made two superb videos which give a great overview of both modes available within BadBoard. You can view these here,

http://www.badboard.net/video.aspx

enjoy,
    Tweeter

7. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Tweeter, I did a mock try of your software and I really like the program but I have a few questions for you.

1. Is it possible to have more complete stats, I think right now it shows who I have played either with or against together. Can something be done to show more clearly my team's record vs others teams. If I'm team A, record vs team B, team C, etc?

2. When the game ends, is it possible to have an option for the score to enter either as a game or match of three games? So if we play a match, option to enter 2 to 3 scores.

3. Is there any plan for a Android version? I feel more comfortable carrying a tablet to our club as opposed to dragging out my notebook.

8. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi mater,

glad you liked the program and many thanks for the feedback. To answer your queries,

1. Yes it's possible. I'm assuming your using Game Based mode? Where would you see this being visualised? In the play report the wins and losses could be clickable links which would then list your wins or losses who you played with and who you played against. Or were you thinking of some other way?

2. Again this is possible if it's required.

3. Yes, there are plans in the future to port this to android, however I don't have a timeframe for this at the moment.

Let me know your thoughts on the above and we can see about getting them implemented. A lot of the features in the product are as a result of feedback like this. If you'd like to take this offline you can use the contact form on the website if you'd prefer,

kind regards,
    Tweeter

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Tweeter, is it possible to take out individual names once the group of 4 players have been sent on court? It seems right now that there is no way to remove names unless the "finish game" button is pressed.

10. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's possible to switch a player on court with another player using drag and drop. Any player can be switched with a player on court provided they're not in the unavailable list. Is that what you're looking to do?

regards,
    Tweeter

11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Ah.. okay. I see what you mean. So I just need to drag and drop a replacement player.
    I was thinking of first pulling out a player but drag and drop works well too (even better arguably).

12. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Great, deligthed you have that sorted now,

regards,
    Tweeter

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    That sounds good.

Currently, highlighting the player name shows a box with games played, win, loss, etc. And below it is players you have played with or against, it shows a name and a (x). Example...Jordan(3)

Also currently right now, a right click of the player's name, I can click "Play Report" and see the same details but in a larger box.

How about something like this.

Have instead of having this to show how many times I have played w/ or against...

Played with or against
    Jordan(5)
    Sydney(3)
    Jones(6)

Have this show the record of my times playing with AND against...

Played with or against
    (2-1)Jordan(0-5)
    (1-0)Sydney(2-1)
    (0-0)Jones(3-3)

This way, the first set of numbers are with that player as partner, the second set are that player as opponent.

I can easily see with Jordan as my partner, I am 2-1 and when Jordan is opposing player, I am 0-5, etc. Does that make sense?

I think it would be nice. I would expect others play multiple games while on court so an option to enter easily enter more than a single score seems logical.

I think the open forum here is good as others can also chime in with their comments and questions.

Another question, where is the file that the player names and info are contained? I wanted to open the file and manually add/edit but I couldn't locate the file.

14. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi Mater,

now that I know exactly what you're looking for, I can tell you that this information is already available.
    If you click Playing Report which is in the Administration menu, this will show you every game that's been played across all courts in the order they were played in and also who played with who and the result. Furthermore this report can also be saved to Excel, csv or to a plain text file. Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

I will proceed with point 2 that you raised above, i.e. ability to record scores for up to 3 sets.

You can very simply add and/or edit players details from within the player administration screen. You can also bulk load players by selecting Tools from the menu and clicking Player Upload. I would urge you not to manually hand edit any of the data files as this can easily lead to corrupted data. Is there something specific that you were trying to edit?

kind regards,
    Mark.

15. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Tweeter, yes, I see that already is implemented but what I am referring to is more of a quicker view. What I am thinking of and described in the above post is having the information so our club players (or another other clubs) can easily view over an entire season of playing. Does that make sense?

Also when I view the Player Report under the Admin menu, I see the score only as 21-..., is it some sort of formatting I need to adjust on my end?

Regarding the player data files. Nothing specific that I couldn't edit as you specified in your above post. I thought it might have been standard that I could quickly look through and edit through notepad or similar.

16. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi mater,

I'm not fully understanding what you mean unfortunately. Above you posted the following,

In this example you can see with Jordan as your partner you are 2-1. 2-1 what? And opposing 0-5. 0-5 what?

As regards a quicker view, both methods (Play Report and Playing Report) both take 2 clicks to view, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

(or another other clubs), I'm not understanding what you mean here. And you refer to season above, and I'm assuming you meant session?

kind regards,
    Tweeter

17. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Tweeter, those are just examples but for example in this case, (2-1)Jordan(0-5) would mean...my record in games with Jordan as partner 2 wins - 1 loss, my record in games where Jordan is opposing player, 0 wins - 5 losses.

Might be easier for me to say "over time" instead of season or session.

18. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Understood, thanks for the explanation.

The system only records playing statistics on a per session basis, so if you're looking to hold onto historical data, then you'll need to save a copy of the main Playing Report at the end of each session,

kind regards,
    Tweeter

19. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    At what point does the stats get reset? I just tried closing the program and opening again and it looks like it retains the information.

20. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi mater,

that would be normal behaviour, it will retain the playing statistics for the entire evening/session. It will delete all previous data after a set period of inactivity, i.e. the next evening/session,

kind regards,
    Tweeter