Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Saying he'll reach Quarters and at most Semis after his first SF loss in ages is premature and unfair. We'll have to wait and see. If he continues playing as many tournaments, I agree that his results will get worse. If he takes time off every now and then (similar to 2011-2012 LD) he'll be very likely to maintain his form and get to the Final 9 times out of 10.
    Also, he's still faster than anyone else on the circuit, so I don't exactly see how he, with all the experience of his long international career, should only win matches against less fit opponents. Lin Dan started out as a very explosive attacking player, and won the WC despite not even being in the Top 10 in terms of fitness because he adapted and changed his style of play. It remains to be seen if LCW can do the same...

#9661 j4ckie, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Even if LCW skipped some SS from now, his current ranking points which is so far ahead of his teammates will qualify him for WC14 being MAS representative. As for LD who will not be playing SS for a while until the LEGEND himself feels like playing again (and we dunno when that will be), unless LD gets a wild card again as defending WC and if the LEGEND rates his chances of winning is good for a 6th crown, I concur with you LD may give WC14 a pass.
    If LD starts playing serious again in 2015, that may tell us that the LEGEND is gunning for a 3rd OLY gold. My prediction is LD will go for the OLY and forget about WC...because LD is generous:p:D

3. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LD is the king of majors but a real selfish chap, he won all these majors and didn't give others a chance. LCW many times were on the verge of winning, the last moment LD would took it away, that was real cruel. LD is only generous when it comes to SS, he gave WO or stay at home and no play, to let others win some USD or his teamates to get the WR points.
    LCW is the king of SS, so the truth is not that LCW is over-the-hill, but he wants to be generous and give others a chance to stand on the podium for the gold biscuit. Now, that is the real truth, if you believe that:D

4. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    so why is LD allowed to skip a lot of tournaments and not LCW?

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Good question. Im thinking the same thing

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LD has fallen off the cliff in terms of WR, that he is considered a fringe player so no penalty imposed. Top WR players like LCW is expected to play in SSP and some SS, I think. But when LD does come back to play, he starts at QR and has to play high ranked players from R1 onwards. That may be tough, more so for the top players facing him like in WC13.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Good then he has to work hard, provided his motivation is still there. Otherwise, no shiok to watch.

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Playing QR for LD is not only challenging for him but more so to the players playing him in the early rounds. Chances are those players will be going home early than LD. Because if LD does play, he is prepared to win. Even when LD took time off and got wildcard for WC13, he kept up his physical condition and as we can see, he beat the WR1 to win his 5th WC. I don't think anyone has ever achieved this feat in top level badminton, a qualifier who hasn't played in a while beating all and winning the crown.

LD's case is similar to TH who took time off after winning WC05, dropped to low WR, and had to play top players in SS. But Encik TH never recover his WC05 form and went downhill to retirement.
    The difference between TH and LD is if LD is not prepared to win, or think he can beat everyone, he would not play to embarass himself, lower his endorsement value and tarnish his name.
    On 'motivation', I think LD's only remaining target is OLY16, winning gold would be 3-peat, never and maybe ever be repeated.

If LD does play and win OLY16, I bet he will kick himself for screwing up OLY04 when he was the top seed to win. That would be 4 OLY golds, spanning a 12-year period, and will be the greatest OLY achievement ever. Screw up by a Sing FT.

9. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    although LD is the top seed for OG2004, but i do not think he can win the title in 2004 even if he was not defeated by the singapore player in the first round. He is not ready at that time, he will lose to TH, if you watch games between LD and TH during 2004-2006, you will agree with me.

BTW, i am LD's fan.

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Well, we never know had LD not lost in the first round whether he will win the gold. For what it was, LD earned the top seeding and you became the top seed for a reason, i.e. you are fancied to win. LD was a cocky young chap in 2004 (I hope I am not enraging LD's fan), I say arrogant but super confident to a point I don't think he give respect to his opponents especially those in the early rounds. Not to take anything away, Ronald played a great game, shocked LD in R1. If you follow LD career, you noticed that LD can be taken out in the early round at his early days but as the game progressed, he gets better and stronger, and very tough to beat if he gets to the final. LD greatest asset over most of his opponents is his stamina and supreme conditioning, 3rd set to LD was when LD got warmed up while other players are fading away. Granted, if you say TH played well in 2004, I may agree with you, as TH had LD's number from 2005-2006. I was in WC05 and saw TH was at this best moment but I never seen TH played that way again, especially after he took time off. LD on the other hand, was and is the best player for close to a decade, winning all the majors he played in. What else to say? Whether fans or no fans who like him or not, we acknowledge he is the greatest player that ever plays this game...better than my favorite player ZJH who is as good or better in other aspect of the game but lacked the consistency and health. If LD does play OLY16, it is still too far away to predict but I put my buck on him to win the 3rd time. And when LD does retire, we and I will miss him. Thanks for internet and computer, and to wyhau for those generous uploads, those 480p/720p videos will allow us to see him play those OLY08 and OLY12 games over and over again.:)

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    A bit of correction here....'LD on the other hand, was and is the best player for close to a decade, winning all the majors he played in, after he lost the first 2 majors: OLY04 and AG06. And since then LD has not lost a single major to anyone. Hope I am correct?

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Malaysian Insider :

Chong Wei would rather not play in last Super Series in KL but probably has to

November 01, 2013

[​IMG]
    National badminton champion Datuk Lee Chong Wei (pic) may participate in the Final Super Series in December, despite earlier not
    planning to compete in the tournament.

Chong Wei said he might be forced to change his decision because Malaysia will host the championship which will take place on December 11-15.

"I have no choice to take part in (two Super Series championships) the China and Hong Kong Open. For the last Super Series in Kuala Lumpur, if given a choice, I want to rest, but the decision is not in the hands of the coach as the association wants me to play.

"If I don't play in the last Super Series, I can rest to face more challenging championships next year," he said to reporters.

While admitting he was not satisfied with his performance this season, Chong Wei said he had made preparations to face the China Open on November 12-17 and Hong Kong Open on November 19-24.

In the French Open at the end of last month, Chong Wei failed to win the championship after losing to Japanese player, Kenichi Tago 21-17, 16-21 and 12-21 in the semi-finals.

Chong Wei, the world's number one player, also lost in straight sets 22-24 and 19-21 to Chen Long of China in the final of the Denmark Open in the middle of last month.

"Often, at the end of the season, I lose focus. I am tired and hope to recover to compete in other championships next year.

"I will focus only on big championships next year. For me, the outcome (in the championships he participate in) is more important than ranking," he said.

In the meantime, Chong Wei is worried about the performance of the national badminton squad which has to compete for the Thomas Cup in New Delhi, India next year. - Bernama, November 1, 2013.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

No rest for weary Chong Wei

by rajes paul
    [​IMG]
    Lee Chong Wei seen here giving young kids a coaching clinic in this filepic. The world No.1 shuttler would love to have a longer break after returning from his European swing but he has been entered for the back-to-back China and Hong Kong Opens beginning 12 November.
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: left"][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    KUALA LUMPUR: Three more tournaments within one month.

That is world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei’s commitment for this year as he seeks to end this season on a high note at the China Open in Shanghai from Nov 12-17, Hong Kong Open in Kowloon from Nov 19-24 and the Super Series Finals from Dec 11-15 in Kuala Lumpur.

“If given a choice, I would like to rest. I am however not in a situation to do so. I have been entered for the back-to-back China and Hong Kong Opens. As for the Finals, I am left with no choice but to play because it is held at home,” said Chong Wei.

It would be complete folly to expect Chong Wei to peak in all three tournaments but the Malaysian has vowed to give his best.

“I have just returned from Europe and have not even recovered from my jet lag. I started light training yesterday (Wednesday). My main focus right now is to do well in the back-to-back China and Hong Kong Opens,” he said.

He is looking for quick redemption against China’s Chen Long in the China Open, which is a Super Series Premier. It is compulsory for the top 10 players in the world to play in China.

In the draw released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Tuesday, top seed Chong Wei has been grouped in the same half as Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming and Chen Yueken of China; Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen and Hans-Kristian Vittinghus; and Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana.

Chen Long will have a more challenging task as he is drawn with reigning French Open champion Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark, Kenichi Tago of Japan, World Championships bronze medallist Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam; and two Malaysians Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng.

Daren will take on Jorgensen in the first round while Wei Feng starts off facing Thailand’s rising star Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk.

“The draw is similar to the one in Denmark and I will have a host of players from China as company. In Denmark, I lost to Chen Long (in the final) and in the French Open, I lost in the semi-finals (to Kenichi). It will be tough but I hope to recover from my lethargy by then.”

On Thursday, Chong Wei took the opportunity to wish all his friends and fans Happy Deepavali, adding “It will be a busy day for me on Saturday as I will be visiting all my Hindu friends”.

#9673 nokh88, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Well, i think LD also lost the WC'05 and WC'10 title. But you're nearly there. ;)

But why are you guys keep talking about LD in LCW's thread?

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Just got carried away, lah...sorry. And thanks for the WC05 and WC10 correction.

16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

You're welcome!

And don't sorry to me, i am not the owner of the thread. :D Just a reminder before the fans got objected. Peace. :)

17. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I think Chong Wei would better skip the last two SS tournaments. I've just read his physical condition is questionable because of the reminiscence of last's year's ankle injury. He has played many international tournaments this year, adding to the Indo, China and India leagues. He has an advance of 20k points in the SS rankings over the n°2, and a 40k advance over the n°8, so I guess he'd better take some rest and get back in form in the SS finals next month and make a good run in Malaysia SS in january.

Getting an injury in HK or China in the coming weeks would be catastrophic, preventing him from playing the SS finals held in KL and then the Malaysia Open a few weeks later, at home again. I guess those two tournaments are competition he doesn't want to miss in order to get back on the track after a mediocre european tour and to start 2014 well.

18. avaxis

avaxis Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The event was just over the weekend, if anybody is a fan, I have an extra one in English. Only one. Probably some of you guys want to collect it.

I like the part about his childhood and growing up.

19. samuelkirk05

samuelkirk05 Regular Member

Student

Are you willing to give it to me for free? Hehehehe :D

20. avaxis

avaxis Regular Member

Nothing is FREE in life :)

I think Datuk LCW has the skills and talent.. he seems to be lacking luck...Sigh.