Wilson Badminton Racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by geokos, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yup it does look really2 good/cool, something that YY has been brave enough to do (with the exception of the 3 players edition)

I hope you will like it. I think Wilson done a good job this time

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think it looks cheap... Ulgly imop.. Tried it a session last week.. I am not impressed by the latest BLX ones.. does not feel solid imop. feels "cheap"..

Poor JR, forced to use em :D :D

/Twobeer

3. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    Just try it for a few hours.
    I really think it look nice (the shiny gold and silver) and everyone know I get a new racket. ^^
    My first feeling is, the shaft may not as stiff as NS9000x, TC700, TI10, MP100, but it feel solid.
    And it can also generate great power smash and clear is easy. (Ti68 27lbs)
    It got larger sweet spot than ARCZ and TC700.
    IMHO, It is easier to control than ARCZ.
    It got a good balance between power, speed and control.

4. kmyj92

kmyj92 Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I've been using Wilson Klite for about 12 months.

The racket is a bit too light to generate a really powerful smash(maybe due to its even balance) but it's no doubt a decent racket for defensive plays and net shots.

I'm planning to change my racket to Wilson Jet BLX. (I believe the heavier head and slightly increased weight would generate more power on smashing but wouldn't the performance on defensive plays because it's still very light (around 83g).
    Any suggestion? Thanks.

My post: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?90351-Wilson-BLX-Rackets-which-s-better

5. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
  6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Hi lhkjacky, mine one also got 21 cross and 22 vertical. I did not notice that before. IMO it will affect accuracy to some degree but will add a bit of speed, what do you think?

7. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    HI Yoppy,
    I didn't have time to try it out at the court yet.
    But my 1st impression is it feel harder, like increase the tension by 1 to 2 lbs.
    (But this may be due the tension variation in different racket shop)

I will try it out in the court at tmr night. ^^
    Do you think it will affect the size of the sweet spot? larger or smaller?

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I wouldn't think so. The accuracy maybe affected due to the degree/angle of contact between the shuttle and the string can be higher compare to a normal racket where its strings are closer to each other. Parhaps thats why Wilson call it Vertex.

You can also recude the effect by using a ticker string as it provides a wider bed.

That said, i did not feel or have any problem with the racket at all. So far so good.

9. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    I just tried the racket with 23cross lines tonight.
    It stringed with NBG98 27lbs.
    The repulsion, power and control are great.
    Much better than the Ti68 in all aspect.(Except Durability unknown)

Last time it stringed with Ti68 27lbs with 21 cross line.
    and it lasted 3 weeks (Play twice per week)
    Broken in the main string at the sweet spot.

Do you think the NBG98 can last longer?

NBG98 durability scored 7 and Ti68 scored 6 only.
    But NBG 98 is0.66mm which is thinner than Ti68 0.68mm.
    A thinner string can last longer than a thicker string??
    Anyway the result, will be known after 3 weeks. ^^

Because the string has been changed, so it is hard to tell what is the difference between stringed with 21cross lines and 23 cross lines.

#129 lhkjacky, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  10. ram.biology

ram.biology New Member

Recon Blx

Hello folks,
    Got one of my buddies to buy me a Recon BLX and ship it to me. And he happened to find a pro kennex nano HC2 9000 as well. Was getting tired of Yonex and shifting out. Tried both rackets with the strings that they came in.

1. Recon Blx--- bit of gaudy looking cause of all the gold paint. But amazing feel. I like racquets on a bit heavier side and its perfect. The tension with the company strung, seems like 22 to 23 lbs. Great sound and control. Almost feels like BG 66 strings. I am thinking of keeping the wilson strings and then change them when they wear out. Great for power shots and over all really happy. As good as Yonex but even cheaper... price was Rs. 5750 and shipping extra.

2. Pro Kennex nano HC2 9000... Brought back memories of childhood when pro kennex used to be the most coveted possession. There were so many yonex counterfeits that pro kennex stood out. This racquet is really light. I will have to change the strings. Thinking of getting it strung with Nanogy 95. Will use it with the mentioned string and only then will i know the true value of this racquet......

Cheers

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just strung a BLX Vertex for a BCer client. the racket came in at 88.g and BP292. on the heavier side of the scale. the racket looks stunning. i actually prefer this look than the Yonexian look. client requested ZM62@24lbs. maybe i will ask him to let me try a few hits.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Wilson BLX Vertex. quite good looking.

2M6Q9977.jpg 2M6Q9979.jpg 2M6Q9976.jpg

13. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    i got to say my racket does look pretty sexy

14. kmyj92

kmyj92 Regular Member

Student
    Vertex and Recon.
    Which one looks better? @_@
    The specs are fine for me so.. I'm looking more on their paint jobs now. lol
    Any suggestions..?

15. nexnzz

nexnzz Regular Member

customer support
    Which wilson model is better for "Accuracy, Speed, Intercep, placing control"
    i prefer for smashing type but i got injured on my shoulder..
    thanks for anyone can advice me

16. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    I think the Vertex is look much better than the Recon.
    So I get the Vertex rather than the Recon.
    ^^

And I like it string with the Black NGB98 string.

17. k9force2515

k9force2515 Regular Member

Student
    No offence, but... Poor rackets. Suffered severe spine and/or head injuries... LOL... No, but how did you manage to crash so many rackets?

18. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I sold my two AT700's a fortnight ago and purchased a set of Wilson K Brave's instead. Even though I'm still using the factory strings (Wilson Duratop @ 22 pounds) I'm more than happy with the performance so far. I'm getting them both restrung soon with Zymax 70 string. Strangely, my first ever racket was a Wilson. It was called the 'Defender'. It was a three piece racket; steel shaft with an aluminium frame. My K Brave's are the first Wilson's I have owned and used since then. I'm now 26 and have palyed badminton since I was 10. A nice bit of nostalgia there!

I really wanted to try something different as the last few years I have been using Yonex and Ashaway frames mostly. Also, Cast Away is one of my favourite films. I never really noticed it before but a few guys at my club(s) use Wilson frames as well. I bought them mainly because they were on offer and because JR used to use them. Like I said, I'm really happy with them. Although, having read a number of threads so far there seems to be a slight issue with their durability. I never have my rackets strung higher than 24 pounds so it means there is less stress on the frame. In terms of build quality, again, I think my K Braves are certainly up there with the best of Yonex. (I used to own two Nanospeeds; the 7700 and 9000, and two AT700's) But that is just my opinion.

19. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Two weeks on an I'm still more than satisfied with my K-Braves. I feel that they are the right rackets for me. My only quibble with them is that the the gold finish does tend to show-up the scratches and scuff marks compared to other rackets. I got them both restrung at the same time; one with Zymaz 70 and the other with BG65ti. Both were strung by the same stringer, at the same tension, the very same machine (babolat), and with a 10% pre-stretch. I have to declare that in my opinion the Zymax 70 out performs the BG65ti in almost every area. No mean feat considering the BG65ti is another very good string and favourite with the pros. The obvious thing to note is that the tension holding properties with the Zymax 70 are evident. It appears ever so slightly thicker compared to the BG65ti, even though both are stated as being 0.70mm. Also, it has a nice rough texture compared to the smooth surface of the BG65. The only downside I can see is that there appears to be a lot of string movement, particularly around the mains. Although, I've never felt this impeded on the rackets overall performance.

Anyway back to my K Braves. Like I said I'm very happy with them. Although, last night a guy visited our club selling all sort of badminton attire; mostly rackets. It was good because he allowed everyone to play-test as many rackets as we wanted, although he seemed to only stock Fleet and Ashaway frames. I was very impressed by the Ashaway Superlight 79SQ. A truly awesome racket. For a moment I fwas was tempted to buy one. But in the end I still feel I made the right decision with my K braves.

Ow, the driving force that is consumerism.

20. konww002

konww002 Regular Member

I managed to try a demo Vertex BLX (newer version) for a few days from my local retailer here in Kajang (a deposit is required). I must say, I enjoyed it very much. Very good racket. I am supposed to return it back to them by end of this week, which I am reluctant to :(.