2013 Yonex Japan Open SS : Quarterfinals to FINALS (20th-22nd September 2013)

Discussion in 'Japan / Indonesia Open 2013' started by CLELY, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't worry. Hau ge summarises the main points rather elegantly.:)

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    My theory is correct. So, you wanna mention here that chinese walkovers will gonna happen forever and if somebody points out , they will show some more examples of the walkovers given by the chinese players in those tournaments as well. So, overall if you consider, walkovers are the stringent policy in their tournament schedules and without that, they can't live..?? Am i right..

And for some others who have mentioned something like this this thread...

"no wonder China could be able to do what they like, coz many other countries just like to complain them instead of working hard to over-do them...

that's why the Japanese and Thai WS could do so well but not the others... they didn't complain but work hard, respect the fact that China (and Korean, yet both countries are the 2 most adopted countries of team play, including most WOs) is technically strong"

I wanna ask them what they really wanted to give explaination from this?? Lol. China is technically strong and they can do all the tricks whatever they can and no other country should not complain about it and if they do, they can't do well in that sport. Is that what they mean??!!!.:rolleyes: .. Lol. Do they think they will simply survive by doing all these kind of practices thinking in such a way and doing wrong things..???

3. EvenBetter

EvenBetter Regular Member

Just watched WS Final match. I think Akane playing style is pretty much like Ratchanok using deceptive skills to create opportunities followed by aggressive attacking, even her grip and handling of the racket looks the same.

The coming WJC in October will be very competitive and should be extremely entertain for fans when all of high profile & promising young players form China, Japan, India and Thailand fighting for the title.

4. kctho

kctho Regular Member

LYD - Ginseng
    XC - no Ginseng

LOL

5. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    And when other countries' athletes did beat the bests of "Land of the Dragons", these are some of the bullets often fired by typical "jia you" brigade:
    1) Oh, they weren't at their best condition.
    2) They're very tired of consecutive tournaments (modification of no.1 :D).
    3) This tournament is just for warming-up, hence winning it is not our priority. There is a more important tournament ahead.
    4) This tournament is Mickey Mouse/cap sayur quality one, losing this one doesn't matter.
    5) Oh, they have won this one before (in some occasions, clean sweep!). This time, let the title go is okay.

And my favorite one :) :
    6) Our players are so generous! We give chance for ROW players to get some glory.

Seriously, those bullets are fired so often that sometimes I wonder if they consider it a sin to admit that their players lost because their opponent played better (i.e. giving full credit to the opponents for the defeat).

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i like number 6!
    hehe! our mister generous which is the legend of walkover's fans always use this one:D

#346 limsy, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In general what you said should be the right conduct to follow.

However, there may be exceptions that players can't particpate after signing up. Such cases could include real injury during training or sickness before the tournament, a family bereavement or crisis, natural disasters that can prevent a player from travelling, etc. Happenings that may ruin the livelihood of the professional if he/she chooses to take the risk.

It is essential that BWF allows for exigencies, flexibility or options for a way out. I believe BWF currently has a set of rules and penalities governing such cases. Of course if such rules are habitually broken, then BWF should seriously look into the matter and change the rules to penalize the culprits.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think BWF needs a new policy on W/O and retirement mid-game.

I propose the following:

1. If a player walkovers in favour of his compatriot in a final of a Super Series event, a fine of US$1,000 should be imposed. To make the crowd happy, the organizer should give out a few free rackets and jerseys to the crowd by drawing of the lot.

2. If a player retires during or at the conclusion of Game 1 in favour of his compatriot in a final, a fine of US$800.

3. If a player retires during or at the conclusion of Game 2 in favour of his compatriot in a final, a fine of US$500.

4. If a player retires during Game 3, a fine of US$300.

A fine is right since it can fairly be presumed that he simply does not want to play against his compatriot. (He was fine for the past 5 or 6 days but then all of a sudden, he is not ok. It's too much of a coincident, isn't it!!) I suppose the player can appeal the decision of the fine if he has concrete evidence of injury, but I don't think they would bother. BWF should try this for one year to see if it works. They can increase the fine if walkover and retirements continue despite this new scheme. (BWF can even consider deduction of WR points.)

If the scheme does work, it can be expanded to PSS and GPG events.

#348 pcll99, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It wouldn't work.

The way to avoid such a walkovers are to let players become fully independent of national associations. But we are not there yet until prize money/endorsements/club badminton can provide a means of living and training and tournament expenses.

The second solution is for the rest of the world to get better.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

It wouldn't have been that difficult to take his temperature would it? So he says he has a fever, well call the tournament doctor and whip out the thermometer from his handy black bag! ;)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hope he also has a BLACK card in his bag but what's the use. That player has also given up for whatever reason.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    top players becoming independent? would this happen in 50 years?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You missed the point. All the more reason XC/MJ would want to beat their compatriots to raise their ranking, esp for the Superseries standing where they are not even in the top 10 and only top 8 qualifiy for the SSF.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm not always in the loop and whatever I know is from what's already published or available in the Chinese media.

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so at the end of the day
    none of the defender said
    the high fever is true.:rolleyes:

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't we all know that venomous insect is forever spewing his poison indiscriminately at anything Chinese or China-related.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What I say here implies that if not for XC's fever, he will want to play and beat his compatriots. Don't forget he once suffered gastritis during a certain tournament which required hospital visits but he persisted until the final and even won it beating his compatriots.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As the saying goes, there's none so blind as those who will not see.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I consider this to be a "personal attack" on a particular member and like to forward this to Moderators for further action..

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

K Tago has the underdog 'advantage' as well as homecourt advantage and played above himself but , alas, still wasn't enough to beat Lee CW who appeared a bit nervous, a close call for the latter.