Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star : http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...ructions-no-warning-letter-for-Chong-Wei.aspx

Coaches get instructions, no warning letter for Chong Wei

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: The national badminton coaches have finally been given clear instructions over their new roles and responsibilities under the new coaching and training structure.

On Saturday, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) Talent Management Group director Tan Aik Mong spent about two hours briefing all the national coaches at Stadium Juara in Bukit Jalil.

And to ensure that there would be two-way communication, Aik Mong will be meeting all the coaches every fortnight. He will also get daily feedback from Razif Sidek and Hendrawan, who have been put in charge of Team A and Team B.

“I am here to help the coaches. I could not explain to them about all these changes earlier as I was in the midst of putting things into place. The framework is in place now and I have informed all the coaches of our new approaches,” said Aik Mong.

The coaches have been given forms for them to evaluate their players’ performances in training and outline the players’ training and tournament programme. Players would be sent abroad based on coaches’ evaluation.

The coaches have also started their national ranking tournament, which is an ongoing process now.

On Saturday, Aik Mong also said a small team would be sent for the back-to-back Denmark and France Opens next month. Those in the squad are Lee Chong Wei, Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong and Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying.

“Officially, it has been only two weeks since I started my job. Give me time as I slowly put things into place. Once the national team gets moving, I will then be able to focus on the state programmes,” he added.

Meanwhile, the BAM’s support service group general manager Kenny Goh said that the national body had not sent nor had it planned to send any warning letter to world No 1 Lee Chong Wei for standing up for his coach Rashid Sidek, who quit on Thursday.

Said Kenny, in a statement sent to the media: “BAM wish to reiterate to members of the media that at no time was it ever mentioned, of any directive from BAM for any letter of warning to be issued to Lee Chong Wei nor any player on this issue.”

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

And here's what Rashid got to say..
    [video=youtube;Be0836LoBaw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0836LoBaw[/video]

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so who give the kebenaran?:D

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    That's a billion dollar question...

maybe altantunya ... Maybe PI Bala or maybe those cows staying inside condo...

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    my vote goes to cows who staying inside condo!!!

6. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Greediness is what I can see clearly for Malaysian coaches and players at the moment. IBL, CBSL, Axiata, what's next ? Those contracts issues seems small matters to me. Mahaleel shouldn't bring that up.

But I can't agree more when he said about LCW's predecessors. The ratio of win-lose for players under rashid isn't that impressive to be compared of '10+ experience as a coach'. Honestly, your 10+ years of coaching hasn't been fruitful , Rashid. Getting tired of your **** bro.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's human nature to want to earn more - labelling coaches as 'greedy' is rather unfair. The leagues are new developments and they throw up new problems - problems that nobody realised. The contract issues are very important. Clarifying what procedure is needed gives clear guidelines to coaches, players and management.

I see coaches being unhappy as they will feel constrained and unused to such constraints. They didnt encounter these experiences as players. However, this is how the world around them is developing as badminton gets bigger and bigger and the stakes get higher. Coaches need to adapt as well. Within change also comes opportunity.

8. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    This is for the benefit of the international badminton community who give a hoot about what’s happening at BAM currently. It is a translation of the Rashid Sidek video interview posted by george@chongwei at Post # 1622 in this thread. I am not a professional translator so accuracy is not guaranteed. I could not hear some words clearly so I just guessed as to the meaning. Numbers on left refer to the time in the video clip.

(Discussion about his resignation from BAM)

0.04 One of the reasons I resigned as coach was that I was not comfortable with the new administration’s way of doing things. My coaching methods are being analyzed, and all the things I was formerly able to do when coaching the players are now being restricted. This gives me much concern and affects how I do my job. So, I had to resign. I think this is the best way to deal with the situation.

1:01 The way they treat the coaches is as if we are inexperienced and just entered the coaching field when in reality we are experienced coaches. I have been coaching for more than ten years and there are others with, for example, 13 years, 11 years, or 5 years of coaching experience. It was difficult for them to accept the viewpoints which we presented to them. They proceeded to do things their way and to them, their way is the best way.

1:40 Even though there was “open talk”and they listened to our points of view, they were sure of their position and sure of what needed to be done. I could see that the players could not focus and more so, the coaches also could not focus. So, how long can this carry on? It is sure to have an effect because they have made a very drastic change.

(Discussion about his contract with the Indian Badminton League team)

2:18 Before they make any accusations, they should look into the matter and see if there is any truth to my having signed a one-year contract. The accusations are based on “Hey, look, I have this article that says you signed a one-year contract.” If they had objected, I would not have gone. If they had not approved it, I really would not have gone. There were Malaysian players in my team too. So indirectly, I was also coaching my players. We have good communication between Malaysia and India and between the associations. So that is a good platform to start with and it is our duty to support them. If in the future we want to start a league like that too, they would support us too.

3:28 Everybody knew I went there. All of Malaysia knew. It was on live TV. Even if I wanted to hide it, everyone knew. I have to request permission to go there. If I did not request permission, I wouldn’t dare go there secretly. I have to protect my livelihood. I would not make a rash decision that affects my livelihood. Of course there was permission given. You see, I do not need to pin point this or pin point that. I am sure permission was already given. And I was not going there for a year. If I was going there for a year, I would not be here now. I would be in India. It was only for that short duration and it is finished. So have some common sense. I have been coaching for ten years and I would not do something inappropriate. According to me, if my actions were truly wrong, when I returned from India, they would have suspended me. (I am not sure if RS meant suspended, disciplined or fired, because it sounds like the literal translation would be “they would have hanged me”) They would have said that what I did was wrong and was a violation of my work obligations to have two contracts. It would have been wrong for me to work under two contracts. But when I returned, there were no problems. However, when I resigned, this problem came up. Why?

(Future plans and sentiments)

5:18 Right now, I do not have any definite plans. Just relax for now. Next month, I will contemplate what my next steps will be. I want to mention that my decision is final. I have nothing personal against anyone. It was my decision and there were no outside influences. No one told me to resign. This was solely my decision with no external influences. My life has been in badminton and my job has been a badminton coach. So it is with more or less some sadness that I now leave and a certain sense of loss because badminton is my life - first as a player and then a coach. So I do feel some sadness but my decision was carefully considered and I discussed it with all my family and they all agree I should resign.

(Message for players)

7:00 To all the players at BAM - I wish you all great success and train hard! Do not be distracted by the current situation which has befallen me. It is most important for you to focus on your training and your future tournaments.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for the translation. As mentioned by me before, how could Kenny Goh deny knowing players and coaches would go to the IBL?

At least that interview confirms that Rashid left of his own accord and seemingly, the changes that Rashid could not tolerate are applicable to all coaches.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    nadzmi nadzmi nadzmi ;)

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I am not saying anything but Kenny Goh is looking rather foolish and makes his new management team look the same. Ultimately, Kenny Goh has to give an explanation that is believable to the public. After all, he is general manager.

12. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

In my opinion it's not a big issues because it was given clearance when it was Nadzmi's reign. Mahaleel just took the reign and he shouldn't be mentioning it. In fact, whatever changes he made today, it's not going to be fruitful tomorrow. Rome isn't made in days. It seems to me this is rather not a good point to say about Rashid's resignation. He should be mentioning more about what achievement has Rashid got so far with his experience as a coach. If Rashid's method really works like he said, then why are we still couldn't see any of his players make it through like CW did.

This issue has made me think Mahaleel isn't that different from Nadzmi. Bigger issues are waiting to be solved and looked at. Rashid's gone. It's a good thing. Why still talk about it?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Agree, that we should not labour the point but I think it should be clarified as a point of professionalism, continuous improvement and gaining respect for governance for the new administration. Kenny Goh denies clearance was given - don't you think it is important to clarify what is going on? What you think if your employer said this?

Outcome is important, but if in the future, the process is not clarified, then future coaches will say "I couldn't make any improvement because of xyz" and then point to BAM's last 10 years as proof.

BTW, I am not against coaches/players going off to IBL, Axiata etc. They just have to follow the right procedures if they request so.

#1633 Cheung, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    For me, not all the choices the current management doing is right but malaysia badminton need a change and change that will be.

We are at a stage where nothing can be worst than staying put, changes are needed and their effect can only be judge in years time.

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    this shows the quality of the former bam.
    when they try to answer our question,they are so questionable.;)

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes
    people always think about the negative of ubah
    but not the negative of staying put.:rolleyes:
    that's the fear which make them looks foolish

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think there is just not enough information for us to form any meaningful opinions now. Here we have both sides saying different things. Only one side can be right although there is so-called 'legal speak' that can say both sides are right.
    The new BAM president only assumed his role in early september, and the Indian Premier League was then in 'no man's land' when it could provide an opportunity for mischief? BAM has now said it has not issued any warning letter to LCW. This is probably true because it could have backfired if untrue.
    It is legally possible to sign a one-year contract with another country's club and be not physically there at all time, only during certain breaks in BAM's calender.
    Rashid is not Misbun who left without throwing dirt and creating trouble. There was no indirect call from Misbun for the other coaches/players. Rashid, as an employee, should be prepared to accept any job rotation from the boss. But he sees this as a humiliation and a demotion from no.1 singles coach to a lower job. If he had worked for a reputable company, not government, he would have been sacked instead of being transferred to another job. I think he has damaged his reputation as a coach with his uncalled for remarks.

18. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

The new team may not have elaborated much about the need to change but I think it is inevitable. Even in Banks, whoes branch Managers are swapped regularly for the reasons Management dont want people to get into comfort zones, or getting too close to suppliers, or practising favouritism etc.

Perhaps its the manner which TAM did it which didnt go well with the coaches and furthermore the publicity also didnt help. Perhaps the better option would be for BAM to close the door while getting their house in order since this is a sensitive matter.

The process may be painful in the beginning but if they get it right, the results will show. That what we all want to see isnt it?

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think there was no need to be diplomatic. Those who have not only failed but have also made fools of so many promising juniors who did so well at world junior tournaments only for the responsible coaches to turn them into mediocre players.
    Now, LCW may not welcome so many future stars to share his limelight. How is it possible for such an excellent player like LCW to be so far ahead of his fellow Malaysians? Are the rest utterly useless? Now, what has even LCW, not to mention his coaches, done to bring the backups up to his level?
    No other strong badminton countries have such a huge gap between their no. 1 and the rest. This huge gap also means the money flowing to the no. 1 is almost all to one person. Now, how would the others feel? Has anybody looked at this huge morale problem that may be the root problem.
    It is like a favored son getting all the help and money with peanuts going to the remaining 10 sons.
    I think all those coaches in charge of the elite team should be swept aside, no exceptions, and bring in new blood with proven success. BAM need not look far. The coaches for the juniors have produced results.
    A strong message of a complete 'board' change is called for and I think TAM has just got it right.

20. terranova

terranova Regular Member

This is Nice explosive thread. Just read some pages from
    around page 90 after "BAM Reboot" and resignation of former Jagoh kampung and now overpaid yawning coach, Rashid and all kinds of juicy revelations coming out. You guys really crack me up. Keep it up. The info on this thread is enough material for script for a TV soap opera drama series about Malaysian badminton. And I know there will be lots of good "actors" like Rashid. KG, NCC who will ready act in the series. LOL