Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    TAM is taking on a major prominent role in the new BAM, if he succeeds he is hailed a hero, if he fails he is called all names, that is he has everything to lose and if he works for free, then he has nothing monetary to gain.
    As I read in the media so are Cheah Soon Kit who offerered his coaching services for free and Razif Sidek also volunteering for free. These trio are working full-time for BAM, not volunteering to do the odd jobs. Those who volunteer for BAM or PBSI doing the helping out type of jobs may be rewarded getting free passes, lunch, T-shirts, close to the players, etc. I volunteer at the church, drop in shelter, etc but I am nowhere can claim I have the knowledge to run the organization, I am merely helping out wherever the directors need me to do. Volunteers do not get close to putting their hands on the budget $.
    These 3 chaps are qualified professionals and I am sure they are extremely passionate for the jobs especially TAM is at 63 may be considering retiring, why take on this tough and stressful job. But to do full time, not paid, they better have a very strong financial backing at home to commit themselves in their endeavour. Despite running an empire blessed with RM20M, they could refrain from dipping their hands into the cookie jar, my kudos to them.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    currently,the hottest sentence in malaysia was:if u are not happy with it,u can quit and leave.

i believe rashid practice this very well!:D

3. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    TAM and Tengku are new faces in the new BAM, to conduct an out right firing will not be a good PR move, appears arrogant. TAM is smart to reshuffle personnel/coaches around the new BAM and 'force' those over-rated chaps-who-should-have-been-fired-long-ago to quit themselves.

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    That is very smart move by TAM....

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    As Limsy said, BAM annual budget is RM20M, roughly RM7.2M went to coaching, negligile amount went to juniors, a justifiable amount went to Dato and KKK/TBH (these chaps earn by meeting WR targets, that is fair) so how much are KG and NCC paid for screwing up so royally for all these years?
    TAM and Razif working for free as everyone said...so if NCC and KG are still paid as before, I wonder how that would work? One side working for free and the other side paid very well?
    Rashid cannot 'tahan' anymore and he quits, whether you like him or not, I respect him for standing up for what he believes. Either NCC and KG have no place to go to find better paying work, or the pay is too good to quit, so better keep the mouth shut, follow orders, get paid, and wait for TAM/Tengku to fail.

6. SibugiChai

YAB
    I heard razif isn't right with the other sideks.... That's the reason rashid quit

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Whatever differences between brothers, to walk away from a good paying job (assuming Rashid is still paid head coach salary to be just another coach with head coach salary), and if Rashid does not have another job to go to, that is a courageous act. If you have a family to support, even if changes in your job cause you to hate it, would you do what Rashid did? Maybe you would, but then you must have a strong financial backing to do so.

8. SibugiChai

YAB
    he has been with BAM for 10years....

if he get paid rm50k per month

a year = rm600k

10 years = rm6mil...

rm6mil is good enuff for most people to retire into comfort in malaysia

why put yourself into headache ???

And this sum do include those goodies he receive as players winning tomas cup & olympic bronze...

anyway, Datuklee is really a diplomatic guy, giving statement that he is sad of rashid leaving and quoting rashid has produce result...

i wonder what result has rashid produce???

his pet project2011-2012... i think last year has past...

no doubt, datuklee is ready to be politician when he retire

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I read before Razif not ngam with either Rashid or Jailani. They all respect Misbun as big bro.
    Not surprising with Razif's more explosive character

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    To put it bluntly, coaches resigning due to being so-called 'downgraded' and the sorts, is prove demonstrating they are not really that passionate about the improvement of the sport but rather, as a day job for something to do as to pass their time. If you really love the sport, why care which category you are in, whether BJSS or senior team? After all if everyone in the senior team has nothing to show for, bringing back empty hands instead of trophies to show, BJSS is where the gold mine is. Even though you are assigned to the 'feeder' campus, it is still a great opportunity to show to others as a coach that can churn out champions like LCW's first coach from Bukit Berapit. Players like LCW got on the right track from the passion and dedication of his fist coach. Remember LCW new nothing about badminton but was playing in the hot sun shooting basketball hoops. After being scolded for turning into a dark skinned kid, only then did LCW turned his attention to badminton. So rather than seeing this as a demotion, coaches should see this as a glorious challenge to produce an uncut diamond. As for Rashid, I think it mostly likely has to do with being under his big bro, Razif, as the main reason for his resignation, rather than for the other reasons he gave. NST used the term 'unloved and appreciated' for Rashid - I wonder is that the correct term to use. I think now he will most likely retire for good, and enjoy the peaceful beaches of Tioman, if not Bahamas.

Anyway, it's good to root out the white elephants, deadwood coaches and administrator leeches alike, from the setup in order to start the journey without the hick ups and unwanted drawbacks. Does anyone think Hendrawan will go back PBSI? And what about Ng Chin Chai, still swinging in his office chair playing candy crush?

#1570 Pakito, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
  13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  14. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Knowing how things work in msia, no one will be penalised. I am sure the
    former President and his administration have given their blessings to those
    involved in the IBL.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Working for free means no one can accuse you of conflict of interest and trying to channel money into one's own pocket. Look at PBSI for an example.:)

For Rashid and TSB, I can understand about them being upset. They will lose income in the form of bonuses.

Yes, it is possible.

Good point. But first, you have to find where the fault lies. Rashid took time off and his employer is BAM, same applies to TSB. Here are some things to consider (I learnt these things whilst working in HK).

Did they take annual leave? If annual leave, then that should be his own time to do what he wishes. However, some companies will restrict you if the extra work is in the same industry i.e. you cannot work for Morgan Stanley, take leave and then work for Goldman Sachs for two weeks.

If they took leave out of BAM time, did he take unpaid leave and did he declare he was going to earn some money? This will stop people being poached and therefore distracted from their main job.

Did he ask BAM in writing for approval to attend IBL?

If Rashid/TSB, in writing or verbally, asked for approval to attend IBL, then who gave the OK?

Basically, it's a case of corporate governance. If BAM was pretty laissez-faire in its approach before (and whatever we've heard before, that is quite likely), then bringing in new corporate rules and regulations are going to be a shock to everybody.

My question is, do TSB/Rashid have formal responsibilities to the other malaysian players?

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Rashid's case appears to be potentially a conflict of interest as BAM did mention that it was reported in the Indian Press in mid-Juy that Rashid signed a one-year coaching contract with an Indian club. Rashid's contract with BAM is up to end 2014.
    The others are also being investigated for more details and information. I hope nothing comes out of it. But we really don't know. It could be nothing or it could be like a stab-in-the-back at BAM.
    Perhaps the one who falls the hardest may have been forewarned, hence some sort of safety net?
    Again this is just speculation.
    But, I fully agree with Tan Aik Mong. BAM needs a sea-change, not some tinkering here and a soft touch there. Well. if the established fraternity, be it coaches, players, etc, gets hurt, so be it.
    Just like the US Military which is a Law and a Power on to itself that not even the US government can touch (that so-called roe of the president being Commander-in-Chief is a joke), well entrenched players/coaches can sometimes make surgical decisions impossible.
    LCW is of course an excellent payer but he is no manager.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The new BAM means business. It is now questioning Rashid's loyalty by accusing him of 'disloyalty' in secretly signing a one-year coaching contract with an Indian club whist still a BAM coach. This may have some serious legal implications for Rashid. How can he be so stupid to openly violet a sacred contract? What will Malaysians think of Rashid's loyalty in say a match in a Thomas Cup round between India and Malaysia, specifically a match involving LCW versus an Indian player who belongs to the very Indian club that Rashid has signed to coach? Instead, he talks tough as if he is the aggrieved party and unjustly treated.
    Also, LCW should stick to his role as a player and not be involved the management affairs of BAM. True to its new business-like of no kowtows to so-called indispensable players or coaches, BAM has sent a warning letter to LCW for standing up to Rashid. My advice to LCW is to keep your mouth shut and to not venture into areas outside your scope. It is none of your business. No management wants to be 'blackmailed'.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sir Alex Ferguson had some tips.

Points 1 to 4 are very relevant for players and coaches.

Nobody said it would be easy. Naturally, people do get insecure and worried in times of big change. Happens everywhere around the world.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This whole thread has been about BAM from 2 years ago. We have seen the decline from even earlier.

Now it's happening but coaches and players are unhappy. I think they have had their chances over the years. Unfortunately, we don't get to know who the managers are but hopefully, there are changes there.

Rashid must have been poorly advised to take up a year's contract in IBL.

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    In the Star and NST, Rashid citing his 10+yrs of coaching contribution to BAM not appreciated by TAM, I questioned what the heck he really had accomplished in all these years worthy of mention. Despite the rubbished accomplishment as a coach and Rashid still employed for 10+ years is because the previous BAM management was/are equally incompetent (note: 'was' refer to Nadzmi, 'are' refer to NCC/KG who are still there, and should be fired)
    LCW is an exceptional player (player, not manager please), LCW will do all the work for the coach to make the coach look like a superstar. LCW is in JO13 SF, if he wins gold with no RS/TSB there, so no coach and this chap still wins, so what gives? I agree with the Tengku that Rashid departure will not be missed, but darn good news.
    I concur with Tengku/TAM's moves so far, all is good to me. BAM needs a rude awakening to right the fast sinking ship, it is a tough decision to make 180 degree change, nobody likes changes especially the gravy train is good for the taking but is needed ASAP.
    Only area I do not concur is TAM and Razif (and Cheah too if he gets into BAM) working for free, they should be paid a fair/decent salary, and if they produce the results that Malaysians expect, they should be compensated fairly with bonuses.