Wang Zhengming ( 王睁茗 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by 2cents, Apr 17, 2010.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    You mean they are already in hibernation, I heard they were talking whole last week. The weather is changing so quick that I can't keep up. Thank for telling me it is winter, I am going to buy winter clothes tomorrow.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    So early to buy winter clothes? Anyway, early bird catches worm.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No need to get so worked up over it, take him for what he is. Besides he's been playing non-stop for 16 days before coming to the JO SS and losing to the WC bronze medallist, NTM, is no shame. Relax, it's not the first time, be patient with him if you really care unless you just want to bash him (or his fans), what for?:)

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So far as we know, WZM has been frustratingly inconsistent, on-again-off-again, brilliant one moment mediocre the next. But at the CHN Masters, he has shown amazing fighting spirit when all seemed lost as we've never seen him before and,hopefully, a sign of change and maturity in him.

At the JO SS, it could be that he was not only spent considering the grueling 16 days of continuous intense high-quality competition but also heady from the CHN Masters unexpected success and not settled down yet. What's more he's facing the highly reliable and steady WC bronze medallist, Nguyen Tien Minh, who as we know is capable of troubling anyone apart from LD,LCW and CL.

It doesn't matter whether I'm being apologetic or finding excuses for him, it's ultimately WZM's career and it's for him to overcome his own problems eventually. As fans we can only cheer him on and wish him the best. Should he continue to let us down, the one who suffer the most is himself.:)

#324 Justin L, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    All I asking for is a fair assessment of is WZM's true ability, achievement or whatever you can name. I like his style of play also and I also admire his performance in China Master. But please don't crown him king yet until he deserves the title. What title we should give should him win more often. What title we should call LD, LCW or players who achieve more in badminton than WZM. I am not just talking about WZM alone, it applies to all other current or up and coming players. For all BCers, please don't jump the gun calling your favorite players king or future NO 1 for that matter. Give them time proving themselves. Any feedback will be appreciated.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    ..and also "G.O.D" of badminton too, which is prohibited here.

#326 nokh88, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Well, as you can easily saw, inconsistency is still a part of him. :D

8. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Don't know whether its still too early to say but I think WZM has passed his breakout chance. With Chen YK and Tian HW snapping at his heels, the next 6 months would be very crucial to his career if he cant consistently make the semis for the next 6 months he would asked to go back to the provinces.

9. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

WZM has more natural talent than any of the young players. The question is when, if ever, WZM will get his head in the right place.

It would be a loss to badminton, if this guy finishes his career in his current state.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Given CBA has that much patient with WSX, WZM will has ample time to prove himself.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    one different between wzm and wsx is wsx are once the top player for more than 1 year.
    wzm only won 2 tournament in 4x tournament he played.

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    WZM will get more time to work with because unlike Chinese WS, Chinese MS at the current state has no one to count on other than CL. Until then WZM is safe.

13. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    ^^^

You don't consider Du Pengyu the Spartan dependable??

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I too share those concerns on WZM's fate. Granted he's talented, CBA hasn't written him off yet and continues to give him chances and work on his game like they did for WSX,but there is no stopping any of his colleagues from rising and taking over his place anytime soon. On the horizon, probable candidates threatening his position could be Tian Houwei (most likely), Chen Yuekun(getting better), or even Xue Song(showing promise).

I surmise that WZM though already 23 years old (born 16th Feb 1990) may be the sort of player that require not only sufficient cumulative experience but more so a certain level of maturity to finally overcome his weakness(es), consolidate his strengths and realize his fullest potential. But before that happens, expect inconsistency continuing to plague him as he alternates between brilliancy and mediocrity within the same match from game to game or the same tournament from match to match.

Let's hope fans of WZM don't have to wait too long. For the time being, we've to admit his situation is getting precarious (hopefully not too late);indeed, his 'mentality problem' is a tricky one, there is only that much his coaches,mentors and support staff can do for him and, at risk of sounding trite, the breakthrough solution lies with himself,ultimately.

15. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    Is he really THAT talented? he is already 23 and his highest rank was 8th. usually players peak around that age. maybe rank 5-10 is just his talent level? that would not be terrible not everyone can be the next LD.

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

You missed the whole point.

If someone like DPY or Sho Sasaki lingers at WR 10, there won't be such a long thread to discuss. It is due to WZM's tantalizing talent and apparent failure (so far) that pique the curiosity.

The very fact that there is such an interest in someone having such ordinary results is a testament to WZM's talent.

17. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Obviously, WZM has not met the expectations of everyone, including himself. Today, he told the reporters that if he cannot win more titles, he doesn't deserve in the national team any more.

Many times, he gave up too early, WZM said, he used to find excuse for himself that "Don't worry, there's another tournament next". He said today, he had to tell himself, there's no more left if he cannot win this time.

He also mentioned that it's a good time to win titles before the return of Lin Dan next year. He said "Lin Dan's vacation gives everybody a chance to win, I have to grab it." "It will be more difficult because of Lin Dan and more young talents turning into pro next year"

Here's what said today in Chinese:

“我想过如果我再不拿冠军我就可以退出国家队了。”

“对我来说,我参加国际比赛也有几年了,成绩一直上不去,我还是比较着急的。现在林丹休假了,给了我们很大的机会,后面的人对我们的冲击也很大,所以我一直要把握住这段时间去突破自己。”

“我觉得可能还是对自己不够狠,如果我之前对自己狠一点,我的成绩不会像现在这样。我可能会给自己找理由去原谅自己,很多次都对自己说‘下一次再努力’,这半年我在这方面重新去看待自己了,觉得不能给自己太多机会去做下一次的冲击。”

“以前我能进决赛,但在最后那一刻还是功亏一篑了。现在我觉得在我进了决赛后,我还是有信心拿冠军。我想过如果我再不拿冠军我就可以退出国家队了。(里约热内卢奥运会的人选)毕竟人也就这么几个,名额也就这么几个,我觉得我还是有机会的。”

18. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

i thought he is the next super king too but he has not proven to be....

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    maybe he can be the fastest retired super king:rolleyes:

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At last Wang Zhengming is feeling the heat, he's having a sense of urgency and even gives himself an ultimatum to quit the national team if he still does not start winning tournaments. I believe it's not a rash decision on his part (certainly not forced upon him by CBA; in fact from what I've gathered, coach Xia Xuanze actually has a soft spot for him and saying he has a free flowing, natural attacking game).

Humbly, allow me to offer my simple translation of what WZM said (posted by 2cents above):

I thought if I don't win titles again I should retire from the national team.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been taking part in international competitions for several years now and I'm getting anxious. At the moment, Lin Dan is taking a break, giving us a lot of opportunities and those others coming up also pose enormous challenges, so I would always grab hold of this period to break through myself.

I thought perhaps I'm not being demanding of myself, if before I have been hard on myself, my achievements wouldn't be like this. Often I would tell myself, 'Try harder next time'. In this regard, looking back at myself this past half year, I felt I must stop giving myself excuses and charge forward next time.

Previously I could advance to the final but it would come to naught in the end. Now once I enter the final, I feel confident of taking the championship. I've thought it through, if I still don't win championships/titles, I should quit from the national team.

(The Rio Olympic candidates) There are just these few players, only a few places, I believe I still have a chance.