Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    <br>Rashid is the pinnacle example of people who can play but cannot coach. He does not have 'it' in him to coach, to guide, much less to fire up another player's passion.<br>

2. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    I am pleased that radical changes have been implemented at BAM and it is not business as usual any longer. At least it seems so, based on the news reports so far about Tan Aik Mong’s plans. I like that the players will be ranked, that there will be open trials for everyone and I especially like that even the juniors will have an opportunity to spar with Lee Chong Wei. It is about time the juniors and the back-up players get some access to LCW. I think that BAM should also make LCW accessible to the independent players, if it has not already planned to do so. I hope the access will be more than just the open trials as that alone will not be enough.

I can understand if LCW may not necessarily like sparring with everyone since he is the king of badminton in Malaysia. We all know that if good players keep playing with lesser-skilled players, it is inevitable that the lesser-skilled players will improve while the good players will generally either stay stagnant or get worse. I say “generally” because there is a third possible outcome, which is that with other good training, coaching and planning in the badminton program for a top-class player like LCW and with self-motivation, he should improve and understand that it will probably make him a stronger and better player.

As other players in Malaysia improve, they will pose a stronger challenge to LCW which will in turn help LCW get even better. It is good for LCW to get out of his comfort zone. Besides, playing against a wide variety of players, even if they are lesser-skilled, should be beneficial since we have seen LCW struggle in early rounds of tournaments against lesser players. He has come close to being eliminated in the first or second rounds on several occasions. A strong challenge from other Malaysian players for LCW will only do him good, even if on a rare occasion, he loses. Somewhat like the LD-LCW rivalry. These two greatest players in the world make each other better through their unmatched rivalry. A LCW against the rest-of-Malaysia men’s singles players “rivalry” will help both LCW and the rest-of-Malaysia players.

The juniors, back-up players and I hope even the independent players will get extra motivation when given the opportunity to not only see LCW and other senior players in action but also get a chance to spar or train with them and possibly challenge them. It is about time the juniors got exposed to top class badminton instead of just being relegated to the sports school. When you treat juniors like children, they continue to be children. Treat them like adults worthy of rubbing shoulders with the country’s top players, and they gain a stronger sense of self-confidence and self-worth which will do them a lot of good in their badminton careers. Confine them strictly to the status of juniors and they sink into oblivion no matter what world honors they may win at the junior level.

Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand is a prime example. She steadily improved and took on challenges that no Malaysian junior or even back-up player would have been given. “May”, as I understand she is fondly called by her fans, stepped up and played with the big guns. She did not see herself as a “junior” despite her age. Of course, she is super-talented but that alone did not help her become the youngest women’s singles world champion. She did the hard work and also had the self-confidence, feeling of self-worth and the motivation to accomplish her goals. Another example is Chen Long who did not remain a “junior” long, having accomplished significant milestones promptly after his impressive “junior” playing days. He and China did not let the label of “junior” hold him back, unlike Malaysia, where the juniors remain labeled as juniors until they no longer qualify to be called juniors only due to age.

Let every players’ accomplishments speak for themselves, and not let their age and a label hold them back. Let the younger ones play against the older ones even if they lose but make sure they gain confidence and learn from their losses. Unleash them on the badminton fraternity (I do not use this term in a sexist way but for convenience only, and I include men and women in this term) in Malaysia and let’s all see where this leads Malaysian badminton. It cannot be any worse than it already is.

I support these changes that are planned for Malaysian badminton so far but reserve judgment until more time has passed and we see how the implementation phase comes along. Good ideas may get bogged down by political and administrative shenanigans and I am sure Malaysian badminton fans are holding their breath to see if the new president of BAM and Tan Aik Mong can really put the interests of Malaysian badminton first and foremost in their tenure at the pivotal roles they hold. It takes bold men to generate bold ideas and even bolder men to implement bold changes. I hope they are very bold men indeed, and good luck to them.

3. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Should put Misbun/CSK incharge of all the doubles asia and world junior champions and singles runner ups and get them going - should not let all the talents go to waste.

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    It's too expensive to fired all the coaches and employ new one... So better send them to train junior and not paid off their salary and spend millions doing so. Last time I heard musbun salary was 50k and I can imagine the others will not be lower than 10k

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    both rexy and misbun get this rate.
    after misbun leave,i think rashid also get this rate.
    on the news report,bam spend rm600,000 per month for coach salary.hehe

6. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Wow those are shitty wages. I wouldn't work for less than 100k if I were coaching a national team.
    You got to pay to play....no wonder the coaching quality is poop!

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    600k a month for coaches... Woot... Crazy money...

What about Kenny Goh and Ng chin chai???

Getting 50k too ???

Tan AM and razif are doing it for free

#1547 SibugiChai, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Rm600K = RM7.2M annually, plus more (including bonuses) to KG/NCC and Nadzmi too, and to LCW/TBH/KKK (okay, these trio rightfully earned their cash based on WR and performance). If this is true, no wonder BAM's annual budget gone to the laundry, not much left to pay pittance to juniors and cannot send them overseas to play. And to justify this obscene cost, BAM then has to bank on LCW and KKK/TBH hoping these chaps will score the WC/OLY title to justify their payroll and nobody will pay attention their milking appetite. Had LCW won the OLY/WC, I bet almost every MAS rakyat and those in this forum will kiss their butt and make a hero out of these chaps. And KG and NCC will get their Datukship and Nadzmi a Tan Sri, and the coaches too;).

As for TAM and Razif doing it for free? Are you sure or is it what you read in the media. There is no such thing as a benevolent deed, there will some form of payout, after all if BAM is still blessed with >RM10M cash annually, hard not to dip your hand in the kitty especially if you see these other chaps who are still in BAM continue to milk the cow. But if TAM/Razif can turn things around, then I guess they earn their dough.

Elisha, RM50K = about CAD18K, that is not a lot, I agree with you for professional coaches. But we are in Canada, I am not sure if you are an ex-Malaysian or understand how much is RM50K/month in MAS and even in Asia, and for badminton players. Baddy is not a professional sport in the true sense and it depends on nations for life supprt.
    RM600K annually is a lot of ringgit even for real normal working stiff and for working professionals too in MAS, of course not for those with political connections in MAS. That is why almost all the top earning chaps in MAS have a Datuk title. Qualifications are secondary to having a title in MAS to be successful when dealing with public funded ventures;) Now, for these clowns to be paid RM50K monthly (and 1 chap get to yawn on the job) and produced these shitty results and still have their jobs, then these are NOT shitty wages, these clowns are way over-paid. See, sometimes when you see your job as shitty, it actually smells goody:D
    I heard a recent radio talk show and someone rank MAS as the best place to retire (I am not making this up). I was born/raised in KL and have family connections there (I swear no political connections for me, unlike Limsy did and he rubbed shoulders with the Tengku:D) Elisha, if you haven't been to MAS, do make a trip and see how far your Canadian loonie goes compare to Europe and the States;) I have posted many times that we plan to retire 1/2 year in MAS, now you know why?

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the salary issue been brought out long time ago(when misbun and rexy still here)
    i am lazy to search back,but i pretty sure rm 600k is a correct figure.
    as i understand,bam operating cost per year was rm 20 million.(not 100% sure on the exact figure)

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    RM20M budget, and the coaches annual payroll is RM7.2M, and still BAM pay pittance to the juniors and not send them overseas, so subtract LCW, KKK/TBH high payroll, where the rest of the duit goes....that means Nadzmi, KG, NCC and the administrations including the high performance BS chap, NCC, etc scoop up the rest. So TAM and RS are working for free and let these chaps to continue to cash and kaching. Anybody wants to buy a swamp land in Florida? And I am born yesterday.

11. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
  12. nkt0811

nkt0811 Regular Member

Costing Executive
  13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    A lot of us in PBSI ( including me) do not get paid at all...even it seems we do a lot of works....as long as you have passion...that's the key to success...hopefully

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I was in KL yesterday to attend BWF workshop on Events as I am one of the sub-committee event member of BAC...we raised many issues...don't be surprised you may see Qatar GPG,Timor Leste IC,Chech GPG,Bahrain GPG...anyway...we did talk few things about BAM..hehe( a bit KEPO)...some coaches are happy and some are not at all...few people think it is a bit odd to have double players to play Single...anyway..I do hope BAM will go up...

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    qatar gpg?wow
    can the prize money be 1000 barrel of oil?:D

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Surely his reason for quitting is not due to the fact that you could not watch his yawning face.

His reasons are : Courtesy of The Star :

Rashid said he had had enough as he could not work under BAM's new president Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff and the Talent Management Group director Tan Aik Mong.

Just a few days ago, he was demoted as the singles chief coach and placed under the charge of elder brother Razif in Team A following a new coaching structural change by Aik Mong.
    “I am not satisfied with the new management. I am hurt now as they have not treated local coaches well,” he said.

“I cannot adjust to the changes. I have no peace of mind. It is better that I leave. I am done with BAM,” added the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games bronze medallist and recipient of last year's National Sports Council's (NSC) Coach of the Year award.

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Perhaps the new BAM is done with Rashid too, this parting could be for the best exit for both sides.
    LCW had been through so many coaches, and he still deliver the goods time and time again and I have said if not born in the same era as the LEGEND, LCW would have won the highest honors in baddy. That proves if a coach is blessed with a player like Dato who self motivates himself, super talented and gifted, darn hard working, dedicated and all the positives, then coaching (even if the coach yawn his way through) is simple. LCW is like a supper smart kid in school, a little guidance from the guru, we know this chap will score the A's, it is a question of how many A's this chap will ace in an exam. It takes a coach who is a real idiot to screw up a player like LCW.
    Basically, the simple truth is LCW makes any coach looks better than the coach really is. Consider this, besides LCW, which other player, male and female, that all these coaches have produced for BAM that makes any significance in the international scene, and take on and beat the best MS from CHN, DEN and INA.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    is time for misbun and ramdam back to bam:D