2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Nearly no team has 1 sure winner in their team. LCW being the exception as he is miles above and has never been beaten by any of these guys in recent history. You could also include TBH/KKK as a seasoned pair they should be able to beat all the scratch pairings(still a chance off day). But that is it!

2. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    #462 paroxysmal, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Please check the head to head records, Taufik has a losing head to head records against all Chinese, every single Chinese, from older generation Sun Jung, Xia Xue Ze, Ji Xing Penguin, to Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai, Chen Jin, to younger generation Chen Long...

You may argue that, either older generations or younger generations competing a off peak Taufik. Lets just compare lin Dan and Bao Chunlai who competed all career time with Taufik:

Bao Chunlai : Taufik = 8 : 4
    Lin Dan : Taufik = 13: 3

Btw, LCW : Taufik = 13: 7 (65%) which is not even as good as Bao cL (67%)

Taufik didn't have too many titles to brag, those two happened to be OG and WC.

#463 2cents, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Comparing against players at IBL... :)

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

?? Instead of head to head list please check participants list:D
    None of those guys are in IBL. Taufik 2/3 years ago would have taken all other except LCW in IBL sure point.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you guys meant all players.

By they way, I think currently, there are 3 styles in the world:

• European style. The badminton was invented by Europeans (Brits) in India, Europeans were the first people who can play badminton
    • South East Asia style, including Indonesia, Malaysia, they learnt badminton from Europeans
    • North East Asia style, incl China, Korea,.. they learnt from Chinese in South east Asia

I found they are different at
    • European style: very powerful.
    • South East Asia style: very fast
    • North East Asia style: combination of power and speed

Obviously, now North East Asia people dominate the badminton, and Europeans are far behind in results.

Indian players sound like a new kind of style. I found they have made big progress recently, but European players are their biggest threats. If we just look at the international results, many Indian players, singles or doubles, men or women, are much better than Carolina Marin and Vladimir Ivanov, at least ranked much higher. But both Carolina Marin and Vladimir Ivanov are invincible at IBL, they won everything, from mens to womens, from singles to doubles, from mens doubles to mixed doubles. Not only them, all other Europeans are non-stoppable when played with Indian players, including Carston Mogensen, Boe Mathias, Juliane Schenk, Marc Zweibler, Joachim Fischer Nielsen,...

From videos, Indian players were just helpless when facing European players on the other side of the net.

Although, most European players, got very, very low paid at IBL (except Juliane Schenk)

I hope from this IBL, Indian players can learn some weapons from south east asian players against Europeans.

7. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    That's the goal...
    exposure, publicity, learning, oppurtunity, entertainment, money, viewers and new talent getting drawn to the game.
    The format and viewership seems to be making IBL a success in all the above mentioned goals and a pleasant move from cricket for the public.
    I only wish the media by itself gives it a bit more importance and prints articles like it did in yesterdays indianexpress, ie gives it more than a full page under main sports section. Still what its attracting now beats the expectation.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, that's another one of the reasons Indian players predominate. Also the teams have junior players. That's a great move to motivate the indian junior players (even if they not play).

I think European players are good at team events. You don't see it so much in badminton because of lack of depth at the very top level. Surely next year their value will go up and some other players' value go down or not even be re-invited.

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

except Thomas cup, Uber cup and Sudirman cup ;)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Read the next sentence very carefully :D

11. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

ibl1.jpg

This is taken when Banga Beats celebrated Hu Yun's won. I got several questions:

1. Who is this lovely, elated, beautiful and gorgeous gal?
    2. What's in her right belly ?
    3. Why the man behind her looked so sad when his team won?
    4. Who's the girl in green? a player? looks like a Thai

Thanks in advance.

12. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    With LCW ready to play, Mumbai has a small pleasant dilemma:
    The format of the event says, only three foreigners can be fielded in a single tie and no player can be fielded in more than two matches in the same tie. (one foreigner in 2 matches eats up the third spot I suppose)
    And the dilemma: LCW, Ivanov, Zweibler, Tine Baun which 3 to pick? :)
    Ivanov can play both the doubles but then they would have to leave out TB and MZ & could only play LCW in Singles and hope they win both the doubles involving Ivanov.
    Tough yeah... Mumbai doesn't seems too strong all of a sudden with this rule in place....

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Awahde warriors played foreigner's in 5 spots against Hyderabad. They played

1Tanongsak MS
    2Kido & 3Boe MD
    4Kido & 5Sapsiree MX

14. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Wow, I really like this tournament. I've never watched an Indian tournament before, but this tournament is really well run and the crowds are amazing! It's a breath of fresh air compared to the usual boring SS. It's fun to see the mixup in teams and it's fun to see Boe play against Morgensen.

My only grip is the commentators. I'm absolutely sure India has some very knowledgeable commentators about badminton. However, the commentators I heard on youtube are just bad. They don't seem to know the players, tactics, and rules very well. I hope that for the next IBL, they can find better commentators.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I don't know about star sport 2 but ESPN had Indian commentators for the matches.

16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Whoever the commentator was when Boe played against Morgensen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ne7_lzCST4

You could tell the commentator was a bit clueless. I'm sure there are some ex-Indian pros or Indian coaches that could provide better analysis than they ones they picked.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ah sorry I thought your gripe was because they were not Indian. I had only heard Steen commentate with an English guy and they were excellent the best in the biz, that's why I thought you were angling for Indian commentary.

The Vodafone IBL Commentators team comprises of some of the most experienced and iconic voices behind the mic, led by noted sports broadcaster Gary Bloom, former National coach of Denmark and an astute badminton commentator Steen Pedersen, eight-time National women singles champion Madhumita Bisht, former Indian badminton player Sanjay Sharma, former National player and actor Nirmala Kotnis and well-known sports columnist and commentator Ayaz Menon.

Although I missed that match I assume from the way you talk the actor Kotnis or general commentator Menon? were doing it.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

1. Nobody seems to know I can tell you she is not a player. I think she is an assistant to boss man, possibly does PR or something. She has been at every match creating an atmosphere:)
    2. That scar is an appendix scar. She must have had her appendix out.
    3. That man is a coach he is busy strategizing with a level head:D
    4. She is not a player. Just a random.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

20. madbinton84

madbinton84 Regular Member

when is LCW playing in IBL?