The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    talk about trolling, interesting...

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Hahaha. That made me laugh, thank you.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm,its depend.
    my brother suits low celsius well but i cant.
    i can cope hot weather well but he cant.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    my brother suits low celsius well but i cant.- LCW
    i can cope hot weather well but he cant. - LD

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

LOL LCw trolls out in full force what a surprise :)

6. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

This is in fact, a very long story of this subject.. its been a pleasure reading it until page no.18..
    Dont understand why argue until now, both LCW and LD have move on to their next respective target and its not like this is the 1st time LD won over LCW.. Its the N-th time for gods sake.
    The only conclusion I get from this is next time when these two meet, make sure china people stay away from AC switch and malaysia people stay away from lights switch. Fair? So no one will switch off AC or lights from now on.:D (I heard this lighting joke from my colleague in malaysia)

7. thekong

thekong Regular Member

I don't understand why that would cause a stir! Of course LCW was affected by the heat! Only that the heat had affected LD equally!

It seems like just because the air-con was off, and LCW had lost, some members just put the 2 together and automatically conclude that LCW’s lost was due to the air-con, and called it a set-up! Air-con or not, this was not the first time LCW lost to LD!

Come on, if I asked you guys before the Final who would have the advantage with air-con off / high temperature, I am sure most would say LCW had the advantage! Just that he lost now, someone blame it on the air-con.

Actually, as a player from Malaysia, I believe most people would think (rightly or wrongly) LCW could better adapt to the heat. So, even if CBA/LYB wanted to give LD the advantage, they would think of other means rather than turning off the air-con!

I agreed that it was unprofessional and unfortunately IF the air-con was turned off in the middle of the MS Final (we don't have confirmation on this yet, correct?), but saying that it was done on purpose to give an advantage to LD seems very farfetched to me!

Believe it or not, I was told it was the practice of some sporting venues in China to switch off the air-con around 30mins before the end of the event. This was done to save on the energy cost or to be environmental friendly. I am not saying this was exactly what happened, or it was right to do so! Just that IF the air-con was turned off after MS Final game 1, this could be a possible cause rather than a set-up!

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    as i read
    there was also some newspaper from china said about the fishy a/c

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In fact, LD is an extraordinary player. LCW doesn't belittle himself by saying so. OK. So LD has good conditions for training and LCW less so. Better take that to BAM and ask them for the solution.

You imply that China inflicted the ankle injury on LCW before the Olympics. The match was against Peter Gade. LCW is a great player anyway. There just happens to be another one at the same time.

I am afraid you are clutching at straws in desperation.

Mind you, given a choice of players, I personally prefer LCW to win but I wouldn't let it overcome an objective opinion.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Post it. (In English).

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Post the link and the sentence ;)

12. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    Yet, Lin Dan has possibly knew first-hand that they would turn off the AC if LCW snatched the first set. Thus, he could adjust his power & tactic (e.x by pushing to the baseline thus LCW made myriads of erroneous judgement). LCW who had no idea first-hand would take some time to adjust (thus during the first points in the G2 is akin to warming up for LCW to predict the new air speed whilst LD has been used to the air speed without the aircon way before the match started). It couldn't be a less cunning tactic.

13. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    It has been a long while since I last posted 4 years ago. It is both amusing and a little dissapointing that some of the discussions involving Malaysia and China are still the same then and now!:rolleyes:

Having now working in Shanghai, I watched the match live on CCTV with Bao Chung Lai as the main commentator and not having GL telling everyone the aircon was off, I did not realise any obvious difference in reaction from the players on screen. I was just so thrilled watching one of the best MS match between the 2, granted it lacked of the speed and aggression in the yesteryears, but we were shown the excellent control, technique and court movement from the 2 best MS players in the world now. What more can we ask for?

As Bao Chung Lai aptly put it, when asked when none of the players attacked more agressively and chose to play more clears, that both of them are now entering 30s and they knew each other ability so well that unless they are 100pct certain a power smash would result in a winning shot, they would not risk it and rather patiently keep their stance in good balance and position, waiting for the best opportunity to attack. BCL also added that as more strokes are being played, sometimes the player's mind would play trick and the toughts of letting the shuttle drop in a marginal decision would be stronger than usual and it's really up to the player to make the quick decision to leave it or play it.

I wrote these not because I want to take side but trying to add a view of another great MS player who happened to play against both LD and LCW often enough to show that in any match, there could be more than 1 factor in determining the winner.

As limsy said in his post above that the same A/C issue was also being widely reported in China media. I just want to highlight a number of reports that was not really covered in thsi thread:

One from www.gd.xinhuanet.com dated 13/Aug:
    "对此,赛事组委会相关人员表示,当时是世界羽联担心风向影响比赛,要求关闭空调的。“比赛时看台上和主席台上坐满了人,我们怎么可能想要关闭空调”?这位人士还表示,在11日李宗伟被送至医院接受治疗时,他的经纪人也曾抱怨场地太热。但截至目前,组委会还没有收到马来西亚队的正式投诉。此外,据了解,李宗伟的伤情并无大碍,已于12日离开广州、前往香港。世界羽联新闻官12日下午从广州返回马来西亚,截至发稿时,记者没有得到她对于此事的回应。"
    The gitz of this is that the Organisation Committee official stated that turning off of A/C was at the request of BWF. Todate, the Comittee has not received any formal protest from the Malaysia team. The same reporter also tried to verify that point with the spokeperson from BWF but has not received any reply.

Another one on http://news.changsha.cn dated 14/Aug which quoted LCW:
    "李宗伟说,他本身感到很失望,因为再一次跟世锦赛冠军擦身而过:“我不能做什么,因为这是他人的主场,加上是我自己失误的关系,所以不能怪罪任何人。关闭空调是不是组织者有意的我不知道,但是这都已经是过去的事了。”  他说,当时比赛的场地没有空调冷气,而他感到有点热,也很难呼吸,因此出现抽筋情况。比赛中第二、三局,他都出现了抽筋的情况,他尝试坐下休息再站起来,仍然感觉很痛。 他说,林丹与他在球场上的确是对手,但他们实际上是朋友,“我听说林丹在球赛结束后,也有抽筋的情况”。"
    The main part of this quote has already been quoted in may of the post, but the last part it claims LCW already felt the cramp in the 2nd set. He also reported to say that he heard LD suffered from cramp after the match too.

Another one http://tech.hexun.com from dated 13/Aug:
    "对于关闭空调的问题,在赛后新闻发布会上,法新社记者率先向林丹发问,“组委会在你第一局输球的情况下,却在第二局临时关闭空调,使得球馆气温高且潮湿,这是否让你在比赛中获益?”对此林丹并未正面回答,他强调比赛一直是在相对公平的环境下进行的,“我出再多的汗,李宗伟也同样如此,两人会付出一样多的体力。”"
    It basically said LD was questioned by a reporter from AFP news agency in the post-match conference that whether he has benefited from the A/C being switched off in the 2nd set. LD did not reply directly but ssaid he has perspired just as much as LCW did, and both players have expensed the same amount of energy throughout the match.

I hope all these will provide a different perspective in the seemingly endless argument on the impact of the A/C.

14. thekong

thekong Regular Member

The problem is, how could CBA/LYB knew beforehand that LD could adapt to the heat better than LCW? For most people, the prediction should be the opposite! Turn off the air-con, and hope that LCW would misjudge the shuttle could well backfired!

If you say turning off the air-con caused LCW to misjudge, can you tell me which direction LCW was expecting the drift to be? He was misjudging left, right, and the base line. Even if the drift had changed, you would expect an expert like LCW to adapt in a couple of points, yet even up to the 2 consecutive points leading to LD’s 10-1 and 11-1 lead, LCW was misjudging, one on the left, one on the right.

I have watched the game 2 of 2011WC, 2012 OG, and 2013WC again, and LCW’s misjudgments were as follow:

· 2011 WC Final, game 2, LCW 4 misjudgments
    · 2012 OG Final, game 2, LCW 2 misjudgments
    · 2013, WC Final, LCW 6 misjudgments

So, while on the high side this time, it is not like he never misjudge before. Can anyone tell me why LCW misjudged 4 times in 2011 WC Final game 2? It was still an unusual high number for LCW, correct? So, was it air-con, lighting, tough games the days before, or just because of the pressure facing LD?

LCW is an exceptional and hard-working player, and to be honest, I wished he could get the WC this time, he really deserved it! After all, LD already had 4, and having another might not be that big a deal for him! However, I don't think we should make up all these excuse for LCW’s lost!

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If it's true the BWF made such a request, they should clarify why.
    After all, this has already generated a lot of 'heat'.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Did BWF make the request? You be the judge?

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-13/15106722279.shtml[FONT=宋体]

本报讯(记者黄永顺 王志灵)对于林丹和李宗伟在广州羽毛球世锦赛男单决赛时空调突然关闭的质疑,赛事组委会昨日作出回应,称是世界羽联因担心风向影响比赛,从而决定关闭空调。但今天上午李宗伟的黄姓经纪人看到这篇报道后表示,比赛中,球队领队发现空调被关闭后,马上找到赛事裁判长朱尼那托与赛事总监戴伦-帕克询问原因,他们表示不清楚怎么回事,而且这也不是他们可控制的。“如果是世界羽联要求关的,那他们应该知道并当场告诉我们。”[/FONT]

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I wish you would give a quick rough translation into english like Linus did - it would be really helpful for forum members

18. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    The article that pcll99 quoted basically said that the Malaysia Team Manager approched the Head Judge and the Tournament Director when he noticed the A/C was off but both of them said they did not know what was happening and they have no control over it.

However, in the same article, not quoted by pcll99, the reported has also tried to clarified the point with BWF but could not get hold of anyone.

It is quite clear that the A/C was at some stage in the final day turned off. But as far as the question of who requested the A/C to be turned off is now clearly in the court of BWF. The sooner BWF come forward to clarify this point, the better it is for everyone especially re the consipiracy theory about this being a sabotage staged by the Chinese Team and the Organisation Committee.

Personally I am surprised that no words till now from BWF given the Organising Committee are directing all the arrows towards them.

#318 Linus, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  19. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

For professional players, if they are asked to choose the court at the beginning of a march, will they usually choose to play the against-drift side first, the other side or it does not matter?

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

"Lin Dan has possibly knew" doesn't mean LD really knew it would happen nor expect that to happen.

Anyway, if you fault the drift for LCW's misjudgings on the back line in the first few points of game 2, maybe you should rewatch the match. The clears by LD can go either way, those calls were hard calls. At the end, it's human factor that made it called good for LD. Now, if you said LD already adapted to the situation, how could that happen? Does not LD shots should landed inches in when LCW suggest they were out?

And as other member already spotted, i personally think LCW have this tendency to misjude some shots sometimes. I remember he even misjudged some LD's shots at crucial points in game 3 of both 2011 WC and 2012 OG. Even the commentators for the match noted that he must fixed this habit.

Again, people are free to belive what they want, to make them feel better. But jumping into wild conclusion and make sensation even before the truth is proven would just bring bad reputation to the game already bad reputation.

#320 bad's fan, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013