The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

normally the (controllable) conditions are static, not dynamically changing, though

2. YumCimil

YumCimil Regular Member

What's concerning are the reports that the aircon was turned off inbetween sets. One side was clearly harder to play from all through the tournament. If it was turned off when Lin Dan moved to the unfavourable side, the organisers need to be given a massive penalty.

*If* Lin Dan was aware, it reflects horribly on him. So let's assume it was just an overzealous patriotic official. I can't envisage Lin Dan being insecure enough to resort to what is pretty blatant cheating.

Please note: I had money on Lin Dan to win, in case you're wondering about bias.

3. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    This is too funny. LD needing to cheat to beat LCW? Please go look at their heads up records. And how does the aircon being off result in you losing respect for LD? Did you smashed by a bird too hard in the head?

Whether you want to believe it or not, the careers of both these players and their primes are coming to an end soon. They are going into their 30s. In addition turning off the AC affects BOTH players. Don't make it sound like LCW was some poor piece of bacon getting cooked alive while LD is a camel or something. It's also not like LD has some sort of magic wind drift detector. It is ultimately up to the players themselves to be able to judge and adjust their game.

Definitely. I'm assuming we have a few too many malaysian fans that probably got cooked in the head from the heat.

4. badrat

badrat Regular Member

well said. feel bad for LD that his win is marred by LCW's cramp that sparked all the AC issue. if only LCW were as fit as LD...

5. jamex316

jamex316 Regular Member

Sore losers talk the loudest.

The results time and time again is the fact.

I think the after talks just scratches on the crowning glory of LCW's achievements.

Both LD and LCW are historical greats. If a professional player cannot adjust to conditions and achieve results, then what does that say about their training and preparations.

Its obvious that both players have different strategies and goals that each wants to achieve in their career. What tremendous aspirations we can see from both are their positive attitudes and ridiculous determination to achieve their goals. Isn't that evident enough from the both of them?

I do feel for LCW, but there's got to be a winner in a match. I just think they are both great sporting models, and should be admired for their sportsmanship and determination, which has provided us the lucky few, privilege to witness one of the highlights of badminton history.

Time and time again, my badminton buddies have contemplated the day when both LD and LCW leaves the badminton scene. What a sad day that will be. Just hope the badminton players coming through will embrace the same energy and determination for us fans to enjoy. Come on guys, enjoy the games!

6. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

05.05.2013 - Someone turned off the lights.............

11.08.2013 - Someone turned off the aircon............

7. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Teu Siew Bok says was turned off during 2nd set.

Commentators Gill Clark also said affected drift and witnessed LCW receiving the bad end of it during 2nd set.

It seemed really hot. Not just for CW, but for spectators as well with their hand fans.

CW was drenched with sweat and in the end, he wiped the sweat off his arm and was surprised with the amount of perspiration from his body.

But Lin Dan was as chill as a cucumber.

I can't help but wonder if the Chinese pulled a scheme before the tournament and trained LD to cope with air conditioned and non-air conditioned environments... questionable and possible.

This is a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP final. Air conditioners have always been kept on for SS and even most of GP grade tournaments. So why would it be off, and why everyone REFUSES to take responsibility or justify why it was turned off? I don't quite understand and it makes it fishy to me

#47 icey_drone, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Some people react differently to heat and still air than others. I for one have problems breathing when at the gym when the AC is off but others around me have no issues!

9. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Because it's a pretty silly excuse and an insult to both players to say it's the reason why LD won

10. jamex316

jamex316 Regular Member

Hahahaha! Are you deluded? Watch the video, LD was sweating profusely too.

How much hotter can GuanZhou be in comparison to Malaysia? Have you ever been there? Its freakin hot as all year round, regardless whether you say LCW can't handle the heat or he was too dumb to rehydrate himself in a hot and humid environment. How much insult can you throw at LCW?

11. thekong

thekong Regular Member

Exactly!

About the heat, any member knows whether the training stadiums for the Chinese and Malaysian national teams have air-con?

As I understand, most of the training stadiums in Malaysia (at least those for normal citizens) don't have air-con. If it is the same for the Malaysian team, while the one for the Chinese team has air-con, then it seems to me it was actually an advantage for LCW, as least when it comes to adaptation to the heat!

12. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    Long story short, this could be summed up into four words: China the pathetic cheaters! I'm not a malaysian, yet i, as well as many badminton aficionados, have been fed up with China's cunning way to win by eroding the values of sportmanship. Shame on you China & LYB!

13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Yeah yeah....
    Great analysis summed up right there :rolleyes:

14. mizuno

mizuno Regular Member

player
    LCW can't beat Air Conditioner
    LD can beat Air Conditioner

The Winner is .................. Lin Dan. As simple as 1,2,3, .....

15. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    errrrr ..... as far as i know, Malaysian shuttlers trained at Stadium Juara, .... for sure got air cond.

Well, anyone may correct me if i'm wrong.

16. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

Setting aside everybody's biases for a second, it seems proper that the conditions not change once a match starts. I would extend that to say perhaps once a tournament is well into the later rounds so that players don't have to reset their match strategies.
    The reason players are required to change ends after every game and midway through a 3rd game is to equalize differences between ends. In this regard, clearly it was wrong to switch off the air conditioner midway the match, IF TRUE.

17. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    Oh..No wonder suddenly the world number 1 LCW has lost his judgement of the shuttle landing on the 2nd set. If I'm not mistake about 6 times.

18. frankmanzhu

frankmanzhu Regular Member

Loser will always find an excuse. LD > AIR Con > LCW.
    Next year, I bet it will be LD > Racket/Food > LCW

19. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    With all the talk about the conditioning in the gym, I think if this were a major sporting event or if it were "properly regulated," I'm pretty sure the authorities would have stopped the match. Nobody in any right can subject anyone to such grueling "torture" in today's world if indeed the air-conditioning system was a major issue in the downfall of LCW.

If illegitimate practices were allowed to take place, that sums up why this is just a minor sporting event. Although it's the World Championship, it doesn't even garner much international media attention at all as opposed to say, the World Athletics Championship which even made its way to Bloomberg, a financial news media.

If you like badminton, treat it as a recreational hobby. I think we should chill instead of voicing prejudice-like comments. Unsportsmanship-like behavior and practices won't do this predominantly Asian sports any good. Certain things that are Chinese-dominated or Made in China, I'm sure we all take it with a pinch of salt.

*Just my two cents and no offense intended

20. jamex316

jamex316 Regular Member

So LCW can play better with a/c than without?

If conditions were changed halfway through, why is it that it only affects LCW and not LD? Are you so sure that the drift was working for and and against each player as you claim to be?