The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We can't tell when it was turned off. Actually it probably was turned off because it was bloody hot in there during the last game. Loads of people including myself had to fan themselves. I noticed the drift changed as well but it affects both players similarly.

2. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Yes it does affect both players, but due to circumstances and events leading up to the final with LCW playing a late game and a grueling one as well, one has to admit that the stadium being hotter than usual played a bigger role leading to LCW's retirement.

Again not taking anything away from LD, he would have probably beaten LCW one way or another. LD has tremendous mental strength and will with very good tactics.

My impression from GC's comments were that the AC was turned off mid game. I am just surprised as anyone else something like that could actually occur midgame in a WC event.

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

GC was irresponsibly alluding to that the Chinese team was informed (or even had a hand in the decision) while the Malaysians were left in the dark.

If it was really a scandal, then it should be fully investigated. But GC was way way too quick to level such a monumental allegation without any facts other than a confirmation that the A/C was turn off.

Given LCW's uneasy relationship with wind draft, turning A/C off should benefit him more than LD, assuming both were informed or not informed.

Again, I have no first hand knowledge whatsoever. But I were the stadium manager and the decision was made to reduce the wind draft, I would turn the A/C to the max between matches and turn the A/C off at the beginning of the match. That would explain the temperature increase. This is nothing new. I can't recall at the moment but A/C was turned on/off during at least one other tournament.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

erm.. Not equally though. That end LD went to in game 2 was notoriously hard to play from throughout the tournament when air con was on. If it was turned off before match started then no discussion. If it was after game 1 then it is a bit unfair as it was harder to win from that end but as said they both had an equal chance from that point on wards.

Maybe the air con broke!:D

5. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    i don't understand why GC is taking the blame here...she just informed us that the drift is gone and the air cond is off...not speculating...nothing

6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Please check the video again and you will hear the word scandal or scandalous.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

approx time?

#27 amleto, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. gelee

gelee Regular Member

There you go,

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/08/11/raging-seu-bock-angry-at-air-con.aspx

Seu Bock, LCW's coach clearly states that AC was turned off before the start of the 2nd game. Wow just wow....cant blame when folks have anti-chinese sentiments. Just goes to show that CBA would go at lengths with anything to get an advantage...jesus that's sad ****.

I just feel for LD, he really didnt need all these dirty underhanded tricks to win it and have all these controversies surround his championship title. He already had all the tools in his skillset to overcome LCW, there is really no need for whoever to resort to this.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The big question is 'Why was the aircon turned off?' As a doctor, wouldn't you think that would endanger the lives of some people who may not be able to take the heat made worse by a full stadium crowd?
    And of course, it affects both players. But in different ways. LD must have known the air con was off, otherwise why would he keep on clearing to the drift prone corner? And LCW would not have known, otherwise why would he keep on leaving those shots,expecting them to go wide? LCW had already played five matches in that court so he would be very well aware of the drift. LCW lost some 10 points in a row just erring, based on his expectation of the drift effect. Would he expect LYB to use Plan B (off the aircon) because LD lost G1? Of course not, this is the WC! ( But many years back, CBA used the same aircon ploy in one tournament,when LM was his coach and LM knew about LYB tricks.)
    But this is LYB. He gotta help his player to win to save his own face, first with scheduling, and if that s not enough, then plan B, turning off the aircon.
    LCW should not ever play in China again. First he injured himself in TC12 in China. Then now again in China. Both could prematurely end his badminton career. He shouldn't risk a third.

10. speedyambarish

speedyambarish Regular Member

You guys do realise that LD had to adapt to the change as well, right? Unless he has some magical 'air-con detecting' power that I'm missing.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The alleged scandal is that LD knew about it.

12. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Even if LD did not know about it, the ac being off serves a bigger disadvantage towards LCW due to LCW's schedule and opponent in the semi-final.

13. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

china built a machine for lin dan to adapt to air conditioning cheating :D

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The side that LCW played in game 1, all week it has been hard for that side to control their lifts/clears because the drift has been taking the shuttle long etc. When it was LD's turn to endure this side they switched off the air con that's what your missing. Let's not ignore that it was unfair for LCW and was favourable for LD(also nothing magical about being able to detect if the shuttle is drifting still, couple shots you would know).

But still IMO it shouldn't be blown out of proportion. It happened, home advantage and all It seems fine I don't really see the scandal.

I think you can attribute LCW's cramping to LD'S rallying tactics, the smaller time to rest from semi and the umpires cracking down on "time wasting" in between points and the match length.(don't understand why the umpires keep calling play, play in these big matches)

It's weird because in some sports it is common ground to tailor your home ground/course to suit your team/country and is done openly.

#34 craigandy, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  15. RobertSid

RobertSid Regular Member

Tey Seu Bock on the air conditioning:
    "
    Both BWF and the organisers said that they did not know why the air conditioner was switched off. The organisers said that they were not responsible as it was handled by another department"'

THIS is ridiculous.. that the organizers are saying they are not responsible for the Air conditioning during their own tournament.. and not just any tournament, a world championship.

16. mo han

mo han Regular Member

Apparently at the London Olympics, they did the same thing. And at every other venue where LD had triumphed. :confused:

Really a pathetic excuse.......

17. badrat

badrat Regular Member

...according to LCW supporters and BAM Special SHuttlecock Investigating Team - SSHIT

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You speak as if you've personally consulted all players involved. Your accusations are without conclusive proof, you supply no evidence to what you write. However, you spurt worthless words in a deliberate attempt to discredit the undisputed most successful player of all time. You fail to balance your argument as there is no mention of the effect that such a change would have had on BOTH players, nor just for the losing player. Instead, you lay out a biased, foul mouthed rant. Shame.

19. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Honestly, after reading three pages of this tempest in a teapot , I long for the simpler days of the Bodin - Jongjit scandal. :(:rolleyes:

20. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I find it disrespectful to both players for using the AC as an excuse. It sounds like LCW was being cooked while LD was a camel. I don't think LCW would be happy to hear people saying his loss was due to an AC consipiracy. It sounds almost insulting.