Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If you are paid with ransom amount to play for them and you leave them in the middle for some other reasons , i don't think it will be a good idea to invest such an amount on those players.. Lol..

For a franchise point of view, they want a player to stay with them until that particular tournament finishes. If not, why should they invest?? And also, there are only 6 franchises and only 4 foreign players per team. Here itself there is a constraint involved. This tournament is particularly for indian badminton players to get more exposure towards the game.

All questions arises only because of the money involved in this league. Otherwise, nothing arises in anybody's mind(Courtesy: AXIATA CUP, CBSL , Nobody asks about their country players involvement in these leagues).

Because of the popularity and experience got from IPL (Indian Premier league -cricket), they have decided to make the sport popular in India in that way.

Some of the constraints which were raised by Korea and Japan made the situation impossible for the franchises to pick those players. This is the case.

Many young indian players defeated Boonsak in tournaments. Hence, they might have thought better investing over Tin Min Nyugen than investing over Boonsak.

These are the reasons for not selecting many of the players from indonesia, japan, korea and china (due to chinese National games).

Taufik is exception. Though he is not in form( many junior indian players defeated him in many tournaments) , he is popular here. He is participating in each and every tournament that is happening in India. That may be the reason for his selection.

#201 scorpion1, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

No most questions have arrived due to their marketing and publicity which has been lets say dishonest?

It was Indian badminton league who started saying they have got all these players from all these countries signed up to be auctioned when I don't think this was the case at all. Sony and Tommy went unsold? I read Indonesia association demanded same as Korea therefore did not sign up any players in the end?? Ratchanok is a big example as one of the prime promotional players, but was not registered to be auctioned apparently. I would guess and this is a guess that Tago nor Boonsak was ever on board but again who know?

I am totally on board here and think it is great what they are doing, and I hope it succeeds, but in the words of Mathias Boe "unprofessional" is how it has came across so far. Jwala gutta retweeting Boe's remarks about this speaks volumes

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I have seen Boe's remarks which is totally unprofessional. Is it a way for a professional player to say something like this..?? IBL is totally a different thing which is completely depends upon a particular franchisee. That does not in any way affect tournaments conducted in india (like Syed modi , Indian open Superseries, Indian open GPG etc). So, if he says something like as if he won't come back to india for any tournaments, it proves how immature he is.
    This is his pure decision and we respect it.

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

that account was registered just days ago with only 3 entries last time I checked. i doubt that very much it's the real McCoy.

and this is not the kind of language for a professional sportsman either.

#204 AlanY, Jul 23, 2013
  5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

No one knows what promises were made to players, but it is obviously Boes understanding that there was some form of agreement in ace that he would be sold. Obviously he has the right to be angry if this is the case and he's left without a team, especially the sacrifices that he appears to have made in order to compete. Now he's left with a disgruntled NA, and no team which means no money.

I think he's even more annoyed that a player like RMV has won nothing and yet gets sold for $44k. He's not in the same class as Wong WK who went for $20k (a bargain in comparison to most players)

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

How do you know what happened? He was probably given assurances that he would be bid upon, maybe even a verbal contract, who knows. Just like Ashwini was contracted but not bid on, then they had to re organise to make it happen. So it doesn't totally depend on the franchise by this example.

I would assume if Boe nearly left his own association for this he must have been dangled a pretty big carrot. If not I agree with you he is being unprofessional. But still the league has been unprofessional in it's marketing.

7. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Yes, the things you said before were right..They shouldn't have said those things and they should have been clear on somethings...

But lol! I don't agree on Mathias issue..lol..This is an auction and franchises have limited amount of players to choose..that is 4 foriegn players. It's obvious that some big timers would not be able to participate. Lol! IPL had tons of big names who went unsold as there too the foriegn player restriction was present...But IBL should have gone for a 5 player cushion may be..
    But Jwala of all retweeting Boe speaks of her dumbness when she obviously knows everything..lol..And all it shows is that she is not satisfied with her amount she is sold to. And it is expected too. As she always compares herself to Saina in India and the amount difference between her and Saina is big..

8. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

scorpion1, what I was saying with the last part was more something more like:

Why, if the franchises (knew?) that some of the players that were up for bids would not be able to participate in IBL why where they even up for bids at all? Like for example the Chinese players have their national games so they where simply not up for bids(or were they?), and it seems like that for some more players it should also have been something like that. How much of this was in the players themselves control?
    It makes it all read very strange if several top 10-15 players just didn't get selected. It is probably bad press for a league, for everyone to see that they pass on some of the more exciting players right now, but I don't live in India so I don't know how they feel about the players there.

The whole processes of players being left out is just strange to me, like why were there so many available in the first place, but this is probably not that uncommon in team sports.

But, it seems that is a bit too early to make judgments.

#208 Giga01, Jul 23, 2013
  9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    How do you know what promises he got from IBL?
    He did not explain clearly what happened behind the screen , without that, it is immature for a professional player to say something like this.

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What account? boe has lot's tweets https://twitter.com/mathiasboe

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

weird! I was bumped into another account with similar name just minutes ago!

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Badminton is a game not everybody in india knew about. Even i bet most of the franchise might not have known about the game . It is more likely that franchises knew very little about top players. Its been said in one of the statements that coaches are used for the selection process. With "maximum" 4 foreign players in a team, only limited number of choices are possible.

China, Korea, Japan, Indonesia are ruled out because of their commitments and constraints. Remaining players were selected depending upon the situation and budget of their teams.

I don't understand which 10-15 players you are talking about?? This will be possible only if you have more number of singles as well doubles categories. They have 5 categories( 2 MS, 1 WS , 1 MD, 1 XD) . They have selected Hu Yun, Tin Min Nyugen, Taufik Hidayat, and many others.

13. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Lol! Please ...I have already said this many a times.
    IBL auction is not about how much a player class is...
    But how much a player can be marketable in India..And also with the quotas present you can only compare Indian quota among them selves and Foreign quota among itself..Not between the two..

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Fair enough.
    I used Boe's word to convey how the leagues(particularly marketing) had come across to me not in support of his behaviour, I think You have misunderstood their.

I am however in light of most of what has happened so far, open to the fact that Boe might be valid in his statement. But like I said before, who knows?

#214 craigandy, Jul 23, 2013
  15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Sure, I'm not arguing against the marketablity of an individual in India, I'm sure Boe doesn't think about it from that perspective. He'll see it from the view that he is an Olympic silver medalist and an All England Champion, something that no other players in the IBL are. And also, on the topic of marketablity, Taufik is still one of the main faces of Yonex and their marketing so surely he's getting underpaid at $15k (despite being past it)

And I also understand Tien Minh Nguyen's high price, I think it's cause of his style is actually pretty similar to the Indian players and his workrate. That's big money for someone from Vietnam! :)

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Lol.. Atleast they have decided to buy Wong WK in the foreign quota. If he does not want to participate, he need not. Atleast IBL has got this open "auction" system to show how much they are giving to their players irrespective of their team's loss or win. Do you have any league in your mind to be mentioned here something like this..?? CBSL or AXIATA?? Any idea how much a player gets for participation there??:D

17. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

I was talking about their ranking, there was a source saying that Tago(5), Sony(10), Boonsak(4) and Tommy(8) had been left unsold.
    Where the Indonesian and Japanese players not signed up to auction at all? If so,that source was totally wrong. Perhaps it was wrong about Boonsak being available also.

I was trying to say that it just seemed strange that so many top players, and players in general, where available to sign and yet so many where left out. Like, how many players available was unable to sign because of the system? 5? 30? That part just seemed strange to me.

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I told you already that japanese and korean players has made some conditions which i think was rejected by IBL team. And also, regarding Indonesian players, it was said that they may leave the tournament in the middle for some commitment. Why taking risk by investing over such players ?? I request you to think in franchisee point of view?? They are pure businessmen. If they invest, they want their players to be with them till the end..

19. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

I understand that. What I'm wondering is if the players and franchises and perhaps the IBL organizers knew that this may happen, why were you able to sign Indonesian players in the first place? Because it feels kind of strange to see players like Sony and Tommy unsigned. Who is "at fault" for this? Did the players take a chance and made themselves eligible or did IBL approach them knowing this would still happen?

And do you know anything about how many players were going be left unsigned after it was all said and done because of the "system"? Is the number closer to 10 than it is to 30?

#219 Giga01, Jul 23, 2013
  20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

"The Indonesian federation has said that it will send its players only on the guarantee that all of them will be sold during the auction." India Times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.