How do you train for the proper grip?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Mar 19, 2013.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Up till now I have been using the panhandle grip for all shots other than backhand and smash defense. I've done pretty well with it but only recently I've discovered that it's the wrong grip.

I feel the proper basic grip is so unnatural. I miss shots and when I do hit it's all over the place. How do you train for it?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You're not using pronation if you pan handle.

3. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Just be persistent and keep holding the basic grip

It's only natural that you miss and hit really bad shots since you're not used to the forearm rotation

Keep using it and you'll adapt

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

This is how I 'grew up' in badminton too! I wasn't using total pan handle, but it was definitely very pan handle biased.

Just keep using the proper grip - you will get used to it. Having a few hours with a coach will help as well!

5. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Try using more wrist.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Just practice your swing without actually hitting anything. Pay attention to your form and where your racket head is facing at the point when you should be hitting the shuttle. Make adjustments based off that and keep practicing till it becomes just muscle memory.

7. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Looking into a mirror while practicing your stroke is also a good idea, you can see whether you are getting the stroke right so you can compare yourself to a youtube video (a la JimmyLin)

8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I had the exact same problem. You just have to catch yourself constantly and try to hange your grip. Took me about 4-5 months to change conpletely. Bad habits are hard to change :/, there's no quick fix except just have yourself or your friends remind you or point out when you are in pan handle

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    What is a correct grip?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Be reassured that learning the right grip is not easy! It takes time. Don't be disappointed if you appear to make slow progress.

The grip itself is trivial to learn, of course; the hard part is learning how to use it. The correct hitting action is very different from what most people naturally do (panhandling).

You may find it helps to concentrate on some of the simpler shots, such as a lift from the net. These are less technically complicated than (say) a clear or smash, so it's easier to focus on the grip and the arm movement.

How about just bouncing the shuttle up in the air, on a racket? Stick to the forehand side for now. This is a simple exercise, but surprisingly useful. Keep your grip relaxed, and allow your wrist to bend back a bit before gently hitting the shuttle upwards. Try for control first, so you don't have to run all over the place to catch the shuttle! Then try tightening your grip as you hit the shuttle; experiment with this to gain control over how high you hit.

With regard to the clear or smash, I have an article that might help you learn how to use arm rotation with the basic (forehand) grip.