Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. iSeVeN_Ultimate

iSeVeN_Ultimate Regular Member

Student
    From the Main qualifying Draw of AE, it's confirmed that Lin Dan will not come out.
    It's Such a shame for big tournament like AE...
    maybe he is bored after win 5 times...:)

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

His name was 'removed' from the entry list though.. maybe a sudden last minute decision from him..

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Unfortunately,it's confirmed Lin Dan has withdrawn from the All England http://sports.qq.com/a/20130201/000456.htm

He felt that the AE which starts on 5th Mar is too rush for him when he returns to the national team for intensive,systematic training at end Feb. Another reason is during the six-month break,he actually didn't spend enough time with his family due to all those commercial,official and felicitations activities, so he wants to make it up to them by keeping them accompany for a period during the Chinese New Year, which means his original intention to start training in Feb will also be disrupted;hence his last-minute decision to pull out of the AE despite having submitted his application form as confirmed by Xia Xuanze.

Lin Dan really walks the talk when he said his family comes first. Obviously, also lack of motivation having won the AE 5 times already, so I won't expect him to be driven to break Rudy Hartono's 8 times record which is theoretically possible if he carries on until Rio'16. Just look at Li Xuerui who is competing in both the German Open on the 26th Feb and the AE on 5th Mar.

This being the case, I'm at the same time not too optimistic about his participation in the WC'13 in view of the qualification criteria. Just let it be or go with the flow, what else.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How did Lin Dan earn the nickname or epithet in the laudatory sense 'Super Dan' ?

It was thanks to none other than Peter Gade who, after losing to Lin Dan in the 2004 All England Final 2-1 (he won the 1st set before Lin Dan came from behind to take the title for the first time), in the post-match interview where impressed by Lin Dan's forceful dynamic play called him ' Super Dan ! '

5. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks for all these informations, Justin L. We really appreciate it.
    Well... Everything he's going to do in the near future seems to be a bonus. With other words: Do not expect anything from him.

And what I wish for WC 2013: Do not let Lin Dan take part if there are 3 or 4(!) slots free for chinese players. He just simply doesn't deserve it to play. Why give him another chance when the youngsters are fighting for their hard earned points to save them a slot for WC2013?
    There should be a rule that all participants of WC's have to do minimum number of tournaments. Or: The association is no allowed to choose who's participating. Only ranking by every single players counts.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So true, that would be really unfair for them... but Lin Dan would still possibly have the best chances to win. ;)

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Will he be fined or penalized?

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're welcome,Accordaz. Personally, I'm disappointed at his change of mind though I understand and respect his decision.

At the same time, I'm of the opinion that as the defending champion he deserves automatic qualification. In soccer, for example, that was the case until 2004 when FIFA felt that 4 years is a bit too long for a team (of 11 players) to maintain their form so the right was terminated. But this shouldn't apply to badminton MS discipline, the more so in Lin Dan's case when he was World Champion 4 times in the last 6 years. Never mind, it's futile and too late to talk about this.

I'm quite certain CBA,esp LYB and XXZ are fully prepared for such contingencies and completely aware of Lin Dan's current overall situation. To put it simply, nobody is indispensable, not in CBA for sure with their crop of top players and rich depth in reserves.

Meanwhile, I'll place more hopes on Chen Long except that for this coming AE and WC his chances of toppling Lee CW is at most 50% but he will only get better and better and may possibly surpass the latter by year end;furthermore,time is on Chen Long's side.

9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Its good Lin Dan is not participating in next month AE.

Doesn't have a proper training = injury or unneccessary defeat.

Thats how he survived to be the world greatest player all these years :D

And having said that we will all miss the thrill, fun and bettings in this coming AE13 :eek:

#3689 pBmMalaysia, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

with him 99,9% absent from WC, then good luck to LCW and CL for their maiden WC title. oh, to the rest of MS players too of course, if they manage to make surprises. :)

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Will be interesting to see how CL deals with the pressure in a probable LCW vs. CL final, considering how they played meeting in the Olympics Semi-Final. ;)

12. keenobserver

keenobserver Regular Member

retired
    i think CL will be coerced to down LCW...-

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think CL when he played LCW at the Olympics had no real belief he could win, just like LCW v LD in 2008, you could see from the body language there was no real self belief there.

Lets hope for an entertaining AE :)

14. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nice pictures.Honeymoon?I believe so. Last year he promised Xingfang he will do it but couldn't find the time. So if he doesn't make time for it now before he returns to the national team,it will be very difficult or they may have to postpone it indefinitely. I guess that's why he felt bad about it and pulled out last minute from the All England.

Hmm...there should be pictures of him and their parents and in-laws whom the couple said they would bring along. Maybe another trip during the Chinese New Year? The above just a short cruise vacation for the couple,perhaps.

16. Granum

Granum Regular Member

I just realized something strange...in 2011 WC (8-8), 2012 Olympics (5-8), both times, LD had a bad call against him in the 3rd set.
    Fortunately, the umpires in both instances overruled the line judges. Just thought that was an interesting coincidence.

17. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Apparently is not, just saw from LD baidu showing he is still has many activities outside badminton.

18. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    luvina, please share with us if you don't mind..:)

19. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Not me, but I hopefully LD baidu's doesn't mind :):D
    Here some picture comes... It was happened a few days ago.

View attachment 137198 View attachment 137199

20. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Wow.... He has done some manly sports.... Good....