Peter GADE

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Last few points, and standing ovation. The Great Dane walks away.

[video=youtube;cyWHAjW1Vus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWHAjW1Vus[/video]

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Peter had a tough round against Ajay Jayaram in R16 at the French Open but he won through. In the QF he's back up against Jan O and it looks like another 3-setter beckons the marathon man...

Keep going, Peter!

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Peter Gade’s graceful swansong

http://www.yonexifb.com/en/componen...a-une/153-peter-gade-s-graceful-swansong.html

The organisers of the Yonex Badminton French Open certainly know how to put on a show and by scheduling Peter Gade’s semi-final against his countryman Jan Jorgensen as the evening’s curtain-raiser they were sure to pull in the crowds and create an electric atmosphere.

The two Danes entered the court to thunderous applause and every point scored by Paris’s favourite Dane was greeted with wild acclaim. No stranger to this particular stage and feeding off the crowd’s enthusiasm, Gade was the first to find his feet, outclassing the young pretender Jorgensen in the opening set.

The second game looked to be going the same way, with Gade leading for most of the way, but with the scores tied at 17-all, Jorgensen made a decisive move, putting on a spurt of energy that sapped Peter Gade’s 36-year-old legs and closing the second game out 21-17.

The third game was one-way traffic and even though the public sensed that this was the end of an era, they continued to cheer the older player on, willing him to close the 5-point gap that Jorgensen had opened up at 15-10.

Several marathon rallies seemed to take their toll on Gade, and on the second match point, almost with a whimper, he allowed a shuttle to fall in, not even close to his right-hand tramline, and all of a sudden, the Parisian dream was over. A collective intake of breath, and the whole audience rose as one to acclaim the fallen hero. Even Jan Jorgensen seemed embarrassed to have been the one to bring an end to this great player’s career.

In an emotional post-match interview, Peter confided that he was very sad to retire from badminton “It has been a huge part of my life. I love the sport with all my heart. But it has taken its toll on my body and I will now be looking forward to taking more care of myself and spending more time at home with my young daughters.” Asked when he might return to Paris, he smiled and said “pretty soon, I guess. I love the restaurants here. It’s one of my favourite places.” As for life after badminton, Gade added “I’m looking at a number of options with Badminton Denmark. I might take on a coaching role, but I could also play an ambassadorial role for Danish exporters in China. We’ll just have to see.”

Whatever he does, we’re sure he will do it with the same style, elegance and integrity he has always shown on the badminton court. Peter, the world of badminton salutes you !

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks Peter for all the great moment and wishing you all the best.

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Thank you Peter, farewell.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    farewell Peter Gade.

rare to find one player who lasted so long and still accomplish so much. all the way from the late 90s, most of the players he played against have already long retired and move onto other phases of their lives while PG just keep going and going and going.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    farewell Peter Gade.

rare to find one player who lasted so long and still accomplish so much. all the way from the late 90s, most of the players he played against have already long retired and move onto other phases of their lives while PG just keep going and going and going.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    We know you like him,

So much so you had to post TWICE? :D

borrowed phrase from madbad.

9. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

to keep it short:

PETER, GREAT JOB!!! :)

10. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    PHG was a role model and a gentleman on the badminton professional circuit.
    He was never arrogant and he gave his best for the sport.
    Many badminton players should take a leaf from his book, especially the Chinese.

11. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Peter knew his glory days were over. Now here's a coach pretty much any country out there could hire. :) Wish him all the best for the future.

12. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Not just yet.... Play the SuperSeries & there are two more competitions up this year we want to see as much of u as we can...

13. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Peter Gade 100% retired already? so now there would be only 3 kings left.. will miss him.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

HIS next match will be against lin dan in the copehangen master in december..;)

15. Vaido

Vaido Regular Member

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Peter Gade Becomes a Legend

Date 20 December 2012 ,

A Danish star, Peter Gade (VT80) will play his last match at Copenhagen Masters, which will be held on next Thursday, December 27th.
    With many titles including YONEX All England title in 1999, Peter Gade is one of the most successful badminton players in the history of the sport. He topped the men’s world rankings from 1998 until 2001. His dedication, sportsmanship and down-to-earth attitude have made him an excellent ambassador and role model for many aspiring players.
    YONEX is proud to have supported Peter throughout his playing career, more than 15 years. We wish him the same success for the future.
    We launched the microsite of “The Legendary Players” and we are going to update the contents in the future. Please check it out.

19. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

20. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Indeed, he deserve it :)