French Open SS Day 6 - Finals (28th Oct 2012)

Discussion in 'French Open / Bitburger Open 2012' started by gopalprasad, Oct 27, 2012.

1. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    JPN has always been a powerhouse even if you just consider Badminton IMHO opinion :p And regarding being PERFECT, I havent seen any perfect badminont player who doesnt goes back to the drawing board not even Rudi...

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry,the name doesn't translate into Three Kingdoms Killer, more like Three Beautiful Valleys and Fjord; maybe someone more effectively bi-lingual would like to confirm it. The last two words could also mean saliva/sweat dish/cuisine or delicious dish or something like that in reverse order.

3. naim564

naim564 Regular Member

IT Engineer
    MM played really well, Saina tried all from her Inventory list (Many smashes + Long rallies) and MM survived well . I was amazed seeing her defense with good stamina.. MM smashes were not powerful and many ended in net because of her short height, but she quickly overcame those by Long rallies , drops and defense. She has dramatically improved from her last games.. hope this continues..

4. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Well, I hope other countries do...I'm a fan of quite a few Chinese players, but the complete dominance that China has in badminton can be a bit tiresome.

Bring in some new blood from other countries...that'll make things much more exciting to watch.

5. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

WYH will still win it due to her height advantage :D

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    How pity you know about badminton.. If she is poor in badminton skill, then how come she attained four titles this year including olympics bronze.. And this final runner up as well.. Do you know anything about badminton .. First learn badminton , then come and talk about saina...

7. forest

forest Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes. A delicious dish from three valleys ! :D

8. naim564

naim564 Regular Member

IT Engineer
    One should have strong knees to support good height .. Look at all tall Chinese players out due to good height but weak legs/knees.. LW, XW and now YW all are out due to knee injuries. MM showed that one need not be tall to win.. strong defense and with strong body wins the match

#248 naim564, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  9. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Even after this win Mitani would rise to 18th in the world below Sato and Hirose, she has some way to go to be no.1 JPN WS

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    MM's calf muscles are big. That helps her movement a lot.

11. nellute

nellute Regular Member

Serving high is old style of playing MS or WS. It was played that way in the 80s. But it was eliminated these days, too defensive.

Just like in table tennis, hardly any player holding the racket vertically anymore, if you know what I mean.

12. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    wah the crowd's gotten so quiet. the 4 players must be feeling so uncomfortable lol

13. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Uh, Japan has never been extremely strong in badminton; certainly not in the way that Korea, China and Indonesia have been, for example.

I've no idea why you would bring that bit in about Japan being a powerhouse outside of badminton although I'm sure they've got India beat in other departments, too. LOL!

14. nizze

nizze Regular Member

It's always exciting to see young and upcoming players win big tournaments. It gives hope to the future development of the game. :)

However, IMO, winning 1 SS, or 1 AG or 1 OG does not not make one a great player. One must consistently maintain their level of play throughout their career. IMO that makes a truly great badminton player of his/her times.

15. nellute

nellute Regular Member

I certainly agree so.

Whenever I watch Sainal playing, I feel something is missing. Sainal has improved a lot recently. But her movement on court does not really impress me. She need to stretch herself to cover the court. And does not look comfortable at times.

I certainly think Mitani is better in terms of court coverage. But I should not make final judgement just based on one game. Let's wait and see how consistent Mitani can be in times to come.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Mitani, I'm happy to say , has improved by leaps and bounds but,at most,she is a threat to the rest in the ROW, not yet a serious threat to WYH or LXR at their best, IMHO.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I pity the guy/gal from normandy who used to puke for simple conversation.. Better check your doctor to stop further puking. I wonder how she/he came all the way to speak about skills of saina. I dont know how many women's singles players are there. France is big zero in badminton...

18. phili

phili Regular Member

Kind of boring to watch without any crowd involvement

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A high quality XD match going on but I guess not many are watching; that's the difference between badminton enthusiasts and fans

20. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Well, if you want to be picky you can put it that way.

If China is removed from the equation, I personally don't see how you can say with absolute certainty that you're one of the best in the world when the strongest are not even in the playing field.

And I would only consider the nation a powerhouse if they're strong in all disciplines, not just in WS and doubles.