2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Singles Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Who will win Men's Single Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

LD is in the Army. That's why he saluted. Nothing personal.

2. HiddenPower

That Chinese sport's journalist is a TROLL! And after the People's Daily (Official news paper) steped in, he went silent. And yes, they do allow different options in China now a days.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If there is no LCW, there is no LD. My honest opinion. e.g. Who will get inspired by LD's game against LHI?

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly,that's what I've often said, Lin Dan and Lee CW need other to be great. The above was merely a translation of what a fellow poster put up.

5. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Ahh, I get it; anyone who speaks their mind and tells it how it is in Chinese sport is a 'troll'. Thanks for clearing that up. Funny, because he was extremely calm and articulate when giving the BBC interview, but yeah, what a troll...

It's also probably a completely different guy than you're thinking of, too.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Is this guy seriously saying its bad sportsmanship to celebrate after winning the biggest event of your life before shaking hands with your opponent?

Must be a bundle of laughs at party's I'm sure... :rolleyes::p

7. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Regular Member

Technologist
    I can feel whether the person is sincere to me, or not. Sportsmanship cannot be faked. If you have "the end justifies the means" mentality, then you have no sportsmanship. Can't have both. There are a lot of trolls here in this forum, but they support and resonate each other.

I support LCW. In an interview he explained how his injuries has prevented him from training properly. My opinion is that because he thought he need to, there are too many doubters out there who don't give enough respect to him. Some people here commented that "he doesn't look like he is injured", "even if he is not, i doubt will there be any difference" "he is not humble" etc.

I don't like LD because some of his antics is not consistent with the image he try to portray. I can see the inconsistencies judging from:
    i) the content he spoke to the media in preparation / before the Olympics,
    ii) what he did on court during the game
    iii) what he did after the game.

Because of these inconsistencies, and because of "the end justifies the means" mentality, there is no need to discuss further on sportsmanship.

I also can't feel the "human side" of him, and from his fans here.

8. Siege

Siege Regular Member

LCW, forever shadowed by LD. Really wish they were born in different eras, but alas, LD is undoubtedly the greatest singles player in badminton history! Congrats :)

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    It is actually a blessing for LD and LCW to be born in the same era. LD's greatness owes a lot to LCW's challenge .... yup, you need a herculean challenge to truly work yourself up to be the greatest.

Many years from now, the new breed of top players shall be measured against the LD/LCW rivalry.

10. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

it's like... goku vs vegeta lol. it's the rivalry that makes them both the greatest badminton players in our era

11. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

wow, would be interesting to see if Lento can have a chance to compete in a OG badminton final match and win it. and by then, all players in the world can see how a player supposed to do after winning it.

but for me personally, OG is not interesting only for the display of the matches/sports itself, but also how the players/winners celebrate their winning. it's usually would be full of emotion, and that is the interesting part, another good entertainment to watch. i'm sorry if it doesn't fit any sportmanship, but nothing wrong with it for me at least. afterall, many athletes consider OG as the biggest sports even in the world, and maybe also in their career life. but just my opinion. :)

12. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Like I said; not mutually exclusive.

13. Lento

Lento Regular Member

If you'd bothered to read my numerous posts about that, you'd know the answer. Which part of "I'm all for emotion, but not running around the arena first before you even approach your opponent" did you not understand? All of it, I guess.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Well you seen to be the only one that thinks having an "anticlimatical" ending to an Olympic Games Final is the right idea. Next you'll be saying that Taufik in 2004, shouldn't have started crying before he shook hands with his opponent.

15. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

don't be silly - do you not understand what Lento is trying to say? It's the act of running around the arena that is disrespectful.

A true sportsman must contain the urge to run around the arena until opponent's hand is shook - winning the Olympic Gold is not an excuse! ;)

16. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Yes, continue to act childish and ignore what I actually said. You're doing the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalalalalala. Fascinating.

17. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Please, where did I say this? You seem to enjoy putting words into people's mouth, to suit your strawman arguments. Wanting someone to congratulate their opponent BEFORE doing a lap of honour =//= anticlimatic. Stop being ridiculous.

18. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Oh, and I've just watched the 400m final, where Grenada won their first ever gold medal. His reaction? To, firstly, shake EVERY single competitor's hand and then go over to his family/friends to celebrate wildly. It just looked really classy.

19. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

yeah i know. Lin Dan could learn a lesson or two from Mr James on how to become a true sportsman! Plus Lin Dan could look a bit more respectful by shaving that awful tache he has on his face.

20. HiddenPower

Great! Next time I won a match I will make sure to shake everyone's hand and thank my country before I go release my pressure somewhere else :D

#760 HiddenPower, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012