2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Singles Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Who will win Men's Single Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The rule says the umpire has to overrule immediately. He should not overrule based on crowd pressure. They should have a Western umpire for this all Asian match. Asian umpires are generally not as sharp or aware of umpiring rules. But there s a reason why PR arranged for an Asian umpire.

2. julianng

julianng Regular Member

LD probably deserved to win here, he is better in many areas of the game.

LCW could have won if the linecall when he was leading 9-5 wasn't overturned by the umpire, but it just wasn't to be.

Overall I think these olympics were ok, but not the best olympics because it's one sided to a few countries and there weren't many upsets along the way.

The few sparks in badminton were Niluka of Sri Lanka beating Kenichi Tago in the earlier rounds and played a great game against Kashyap but that was it. I would rate the Athens olymmpics to be more exciting because there were much more upsets in that tournament.

I suspect CHN will be the dominant country in badminton for another 5-10 years atleast looking at the current talent pool they have and youngsters picking up the game now.

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Agreed, the sad thing is how can an auntie troll so much with her blatant hatred for China.

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Regarding the the linecall, if it werent overturned it would have gone down in history as one of the most disgraceful calls by a linesman.

5. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

My heart aches for LCW. No one can dispute that he's worthy of a gold medal, and no one can dispute that he has the capacity to beat LD. So, I feel the pain of having been so close to something you deserve and watch it irreversibly flutter away in a matter of minutes.

My feelings for LD are not as negative as those of other LCW fans here. I could've done without the military salutes, but that has to do with my political opinions and the action is ultimately understandable.

I think what's ridiculous about this debate about celebrations is that you guys are all falling back on the same argument, an argument that makes both perspectives completely moot. "LCW should've given a more hearty hug," which is ridiculous, and, "LD shouldn't have run around prematurely." A gold medal was won, and in either instance, the competitors are subject to emotions we can't imagine.

In other words, I don't care for slagging LD, who is just an incredible athlete, I just feel immense sympathy for LCW. I'm quite broken by it all because I've been hoping for a long while that in London he'd win the gold he deserves. The feeling will stay with me for quite some time.

If I could have LCW attention for just one minute, I'd tell him this: "Of course you feel disappointed. You are an Olympian. It's in your nature to focus on improvements and try constantly to adapt. The key to contentment lies in relativity. At the end of the day, you are still one of the best players in the history of the game, and your tussles with Lin Dan will be remembered forever as the first golden era of badminton. For the people to whom it matters, you've proven everything already."

Anyone think LCW has any chance of winning gold in Rio?

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So there is? Let me explain why. I was told there is no word for toothache in the Eskimo language because they don t experience it. Well, then , enlighten us, what is the Chinese word for sportsmanship and does it have the same meaning as the English?

7. K_a_d_e

K_a_d_e Regular Member

Worker
    i hope lcw had a good sleep, and take your time to rest LCW you deserved looooooong holiday its been a grazy year

in the otherside LD must be enjoying it and they had a grazy party all night long

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It suggests the umpire is not good enough to do the job properly. It makes sense to have the best umpire for what is likely to be the tightest match in LOG. You require someone sharp, not one who s sleeping and let the crowd umpire for him.

9. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The word is 体育态度 or 体育精神 and both mean the same thing as the English word "sportsmanship".

Oh, but I have to apologise as it is very apparent to me now that you are but a Chinese descended Banana from Singapore.

10. Blitzzards

This I kind of agree. But why are you being so hard on Asians?

11. Siege

Siege Regular Member

Lol, people still get upset by how LD celebrates his victories? Haha, it's very amusing to me, no offense. Anyways, LD will certainly go down as the greatest singles player in badminton history! Congratulations China!

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thank you for the clarification.

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

It was a superb match yesterday. Was watching the match in the same place as LCW's bro, everyone was excited and shouted each time LCW won a point. Unfortunately, in badminton, there will only be one winner... That's life and life goes on..:)

14. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Wow. What's the bad part in your mind? Chinese descended or being from Singapore?

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I m not. My observations are the Asian umpires know they can overrule but they are not aware that means they have to be sharp when the line judge makes the call. They let the player or crowd influence them more. Having said that, Asian umpires are better for judging a match between Asian and Western players because they are less race biased.

16. Whizzard

Whizzard Regular Member

He made the right call. What more do you want?

17. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

^^^
    Lol, Whizzard is right. The umpire overruled the linesman with the right call. What more can we expect of the umpire?

Oh wait, any umpire that doesn't favor LCW is not a good umpire according to Pjswift :D

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You mean, these guys do grass? That kinda explains a lot... ;)

19. Blitzzards

Neither. You totally missed the point which I made. Please do not turn into another "flame before you read" forum troll.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Aside:
    the sad part being, this pissing contest is happening between people who are actually intelligent and rational... or drunk...
    the real Trolls are just a-waking. Please make way for them, guys... :D:D:D