2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Singles Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Who will win Men's Single Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hafeau

hafeau Regular Member

yea thats what he said earlier from another interview.. maybe todays game changed his mind.. i hope he doesnt retire..

2. Lento

Lento Regular Member

After this olympics and final, LCW's stock will have risen considerably with sponsors and media attention! The public and neutrals have really warmed to him. I hope he carries on for slightly longer, even just to cleanse the memory of this painful day.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The post match intv also LCW didnt say will retire, as in retire right after OG

4. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Thanks eagle for the link to LCW interview. Even the interviewer who is Chinese sounded so sad for LCW and even said LCW has a lot of fans and a lot of ppl love him.

I could feel the agony of being "so near yet so far" of winning the Gold medal. Not to take away anything from Lin Dan, I feel the match was anybody's right up to 19-19.

I am sure all Malaysians are very proud of you even though you didnt managed to win the gold becos you have shown such good fighting spirit and also that after coming back from 2 serious injuries.

Please dont retire yet as you can still beat the crap out of all the other players and go for 1 more shot in 2016 !!

5. laonong

laonong Regular Member

He should win a WC before retirement. I think he had a better chance to win a WC than Oly since LD had already won 4 and had no motivation to win another one. After this olympic, LD may only play team events.

6. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

yeah i agree it may very well sneak a World championship title before he retires.

7. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

while I love LD for his passion and explosiveness, I can't help but feel for LCW... the eternal underdog and a hero carrying the weight of his national and who always gives his 1000%.

I know ppl want LD to step aside for one moment to give LCW a chance... but my question is, what would be LCW's biggest regret? to never have earned a world title, or to never have taken a world title from LD?

8. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    It's really a silly statement!

9. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    I hope lee chong wei takes it easy and just enjoy his life.

Do not end up like Svend Pri who suffers financially and mentally because of other setbacks and died in the end with regret.

10. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    LCW in his interview tonight is basically saying that his lost this evening to LD is mostly due to his ankle injury and his lack of competitive match exposure before coming into the Olympics. He implied that the time required for a full recovery of his injury is too short - he was able to train for only 2 weeks (which is insufficient). He is naturally disappointed and that his lost is fated after he had trained and tried so hard in this 2nd attempt at the gold medal. As usual, excuses and more excuses from LCW. No mention of how great a player LD is and how well he played tonight whatsoever. In other words, what he is clearly implying is that had he not been injured, he would very likely be the gold medallist on the podium tonight. What a sore loser. Maybe he should hang up his racket and go back to school for some serious education in humility.

11. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

still can't believe LD finally won the match. what a close match between the two MS superstars, full of nerves and can go either way for any player. too bad they can have just 1 winner.

for those said LD really tried his best in the final match, i agree. watching how he celebrate it, it seems that a big burden already lifted from his shoulders. fortunately, for me, he celebrate it with less arrogancy this time. :)

for LCW, it's sad to see how shock he was after the match finished. already tried his best, give all he has, but still lack of a bit luck. maybe next time, LCW! :)

12. kollarama

kollarama Regular Member

13. speedyambarish

speedyambarish Regular Member

Oh shut up. LCW is probably the kindest and most sportsmanlike person in world badminton. That is one of the reasons why I felt so bad for him when he lost. He has just lost the most important match of his entire career after playing brilliantly. Of course he will be upset.
    You don't know how much pressure and pain he had to struggle through.

“There’s only one Lin Dan in the world,” Chong Wei graciously conceded.
    “I congratulate China,” Chong Wei said. “It’s total domination. It’s good for China but for the rest of the countries, they have to start working harder

If that isn't being humble and respecting your opponent after just losing an Olympic final, I don't know what is.
    If anyone needs education in humility, it's you.

14. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    I personally don't think he is the badminton saint you make him out to be. Everyone trains as hard as he does so there is no exceptions. If you follow one of his earlier interviews, you will see that he is particularly someone who really hates to lose and can't accept a defeat as gracefully as some of his counterparts, eventhough he may appear graceful on the surface. Anyway, it is just my opinion and you don't need to agree if it hurts your feelings but please don't resort to personal swipes.

15. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Like I said earlier, if you watched his first match with Ville Lang, he was extremely generous in winning, uttering some very positive and kind words to his losing opponent. How many other players would have done that? None.

16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

hmm, actually i think TH was do that too when he finished the match between him and LD in the R2 stage. or am i wrong?

but for me, for all this time i have see him, LCW is a kind person, at least on the TV screen. not have chance to know him better than lappie or TV screen though. :)

17. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    That's exactly my point; he always does that to an opponent whenever he wins but dislikes it when one does it to him whenever he loses - hence, his somewhat reluctance to shake hands or congratulate wholeheartedly, almost in disbelief that he had lost.

18. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    lcw is the better and more consistend player 4 me but he just does not the nerv to stay against lin dan

19. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yeah, maybe that's just the case.

btw, according to Mr. Ronald Susilo as commentator (if i've understanding his words correctly), it's LD origin team (PLA) which give him such mental strength. because it's an army team, LD was trained as an army, and that's why he has such mental. what do you guys think on it?

#619 bad's fan, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  20. Lento

Lento Regular Member

In this instance, more than anything, he was in complete shock and it literally looked like his his whole body had been drained of all its spirit. I agree, it's easier to be gracious when you win, but I've never seen or heard LCW be less than sporting when he loses. I also wish that players would shake hands with the opponent first and THEN go sprinting off around the arena.