Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sportsmanship, glory of sports, honour of teams?

Abiding by the rules (tanking is against them)

Take your pick. Any who supports or who isnt outraged by this behaviour from all countries involved is mad.

2. gamelessx25

gamelessx25 Regular Member

Self Employed
    I booed as the whole section D and everyone else booed around us facing Court 2

Court 2 - China WD vs Korea WD = BS of a game as the first 25 points of the game were miss hits, missed serves into the net, outside wide. They act like they're having a bad day but come on... the official came on court to talk to both teams and their coaches. Play improved to a friendly rally, shots that should of been a smash were lazy mid court clears. This is an embarrassment to the Olympic spirit and professional sports.

Court 3 - Korea WD vs Indonesia WD later on in the night, same thing happened. My view from Court 2 side wasn't as good but seem like the same issue, no one wanted to face the Chinese. The same official from earlier walked out and waved around a black card (we that means).

Thank goodness the rest of the matches were legit. My favorite of the night were the China vs Taipei matches since they were as much national pride as it was political.

3. gamelessx25

Self Employed
    They should of been disqualified on the spot. Throwing the game to not faced your own team mates is match fixing, which is cheating. At one point, the whole arena was chanting OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF!! when the Korea vs Indonesia on court 3 did the same thing.

4. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    All vague Euphemism that are open to interpretation(ask LYB, Im sure he can come up with definitions that can counter yours), I rather have the DQ grounded in rules then sayings.

5. gamelessx25

Self Employed
    I was court side, I am Chinese, and I booed the hell outta their behaviour. SHAME SHAME SHAME!

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Everything can be debated and be considered vague or open to interpretation. (even this very sentence)

I stand by what i say in that anyone who supports or isnt outraged by this is mad.

Lets not get on LYB, why not get on KOR and INA headcoaches as well.

It makes badminton look pathetic and weak

7. maofthun

maofthun New Member

The BWF has no one to blame but themselves for not putting safeguards in place to prevent such fiascoes. I don't blame China & Korea at all. They were both concerned with the big picture of winning the tournament and/or maximizing the number of medals they can reap from it. It's not much different than, say, Bradley Wiggins' teammates sacrificing themselves to help him win the Tour de France, or when Wiggins sacrificing himself by setting the pace in the last lap of the last stage and then letting Cavendish through to take the win. It's just team strategy, that's all. If the BWF don't want to see this they need to be smarter about how to structure the tournament. I feel sorry for paying customers though. What I don't understand is why the Koreans didn't just fake an injury, forfeit the match and screw the Chinese :)

#67 maofthun, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

blaming it all on the chinese is really absurd as other teams were doing the same thing. but its not as ridiculous as the ye shiwen doping bs. a lot of anti china bs on the internet lolz.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Chinese team for sure are at the root of this long simmering "match fixing", it's a real shame other countries lowered themselves to their level

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This point has been mentioned before by a few. I think this really is the crux of the issue. To be honest, I am in favour of the group system so that more matches can be played for a public viewing and for the athletes.

However, we do see how the system can be manipulated. No, it's not cheating but highly tactical. i.e. a tactical loss.

In another thread, we did see that people argued for all the best players to be in the olympics - this fiasco (and some previous olympic semifinals) show that having the best players around doesn't necessarily mean they will play to their best.

Any group format will have this problem if two of the group can qualify.

Having only one representative from each country would go long way to avoid this scenario.

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Vilau, I am all for you bro, you feel so lonely outta there so I gonna join ya, now where is that chap twobeer, we need him too to defend our comrades from being called 'cheaters', 'fixers' 'unsportmanship', yadayada... how dare these chaps in these forums criticize our comrades. We ain't break no rules...CHN Boleh

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

It is in the BWF regulations that the player must use their best effort.

"4.5 Failure to use best efforts
    Not using one’s best efforts to win a match."

Ok so in the INA vs. Korea match, KOR tried to throw the match in order not to face the #1 seed from CHN correct? But even if they ended up losing, they would have a KOR vs. KOR in 1st round of QFs. So the KOR don't have confidence in their pairs in that sense? Why would they rather have a KOR vs. KOR in 1st round rather than have 1 pair try to beat CHN.

13. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
  14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Agreed with everything apart from this line. BWF still reserve the right to punish anything that brings the sport into disrespute. Looks like this has.

15. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

u r mistaking soccer match fixing from badminton lolz. its more like they plan on the possibility of china to face each other in with group matches cuz in single elimination, the only way china vs china is in the finals. good thing china doesnt whine to the level like those who whines about china cheating and other bs. lolz.

16. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Then more teams will throw their matches. If you're gonna make a draw and two teams already qualified, going into that final match, no one will try. Why waste energy when you already qualified for the next round? Winning or losing that last match won't matter because you won't know who you'll play against anyways since it's all by random.

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You serious he actually said that?

Grounds for being fired. People have been let go for less than that

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They are not cheating you are right, but this is about badminton and it's growth and well being not China winning.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yip it was a disgrace.

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member