2012 London Olympics BadmintonCentral Get-together..

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by ctjcad, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hope all you folks in London have a wonderful time! Make sure to post pictures and or videos! :)

Wot, guv'nor? :confused: Methinks you've driven the lorry up a blind lane. Master Fidget sounds like this. :p

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Excellent, Chris!! A heavy British accent is all you need to master your role as, err, the lead BC Reporter for London 2012 BC and Badminton events.

Sorry but I have to forgo my trip and donate some hard earned tickets to my UK-based cousins. Doubt that they would actually go, though they actually live quite near in Brentford. Yup, practically walking distance only .......

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    :eek:

i wonder if there are any last minute flight ticket to London.... ;)

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Sure there are, ..... on Emirates at least. In fact they've been dropping prices to up demand from Southeast Asian and Australian sectors to Europe.

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My London-based cell no.

...alright, guys, just made it here alive...and hanging out with Fengwei staying at a 3 level-story house, near Wembley (1 stop from Wembley @ Kingsbury), but sharing 1 bedroom..:cool:

Here's my London based cell phone no., for anyone wanting to contact me:
    +44789093257

*for those still interested to come (yah, you know who you are & are itching;)), still have less than 48 hrs to get a flight ticket...:cool:

*abedeng, if your cousins won't be going to the baddy matches, please let them know as i may use them (of course will pay in exchange)..

#186 ctjcad, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

See you soon!!!

8. Fu-Tu

Fu-Tu Regular Member

Has anyone on here got a ticket for BD009 cat D or C? I would like to see that session on Monday night....

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  10. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

ahaha that article is right on the money, nice find :D.

I hate chuggers.

Chuggers normally operate in packs of six, three on one side of the street and three on the other. Each grouping of three is deployed in a line with a spacing of about 5 to 10 meters. The person at each end of the line intercepts the traffic comming from outside of the line, the person in the middle acts as a kind of sweeper (like in Soccer) and tries to hook anyone the ends of the line have missed.

A good tactic to avoid talking to a chugger's is to 'ghost' another pedestrian, that is to keep this third person between you and the chugger, this normally requires you to accelerate a bit as you draw close to the chugger. If you keep facing forward and avoid eye contact once you are alongside you're home and dry...although a strategically placed sweeper can still cause you problems.

If there's no one about to ghost then it's gonna take a bit of discipline, the chugger's gonna try and talk to you and will likely try to step into your field of vision in the process, almost certainly causing you to weave. You have two courses of action here; totally ignore them or quick acknowledgement followed by a 'put off'.

If your going the total avoidance route then a pair of sunglasses and earphones are a big help, but the principle is don't make eye contact and dont talk back. Literally act like they dont exist, if they step infront and force you to weave then it helps to pull a face that indicates annoyance, they'll get the message and the sweeper who will be watching on will normally not even bother you.

The other option is to acknowledge them by looking in their general direction briefly (even in the eye if you're feeling confident) and then looking away again in manner that makes it clear you are dismissing them (a good facial expression can help the message). This will cause most chuggers to crumple but I've had a few of the more hardy one's persist and try and snag me with a question or an introduction. However by this point you've already set the tone and you're well within your rights to fire back with something witty or rude which can actually be quite fun.

Anyway the key thing amongst all this is to never ever break your stride, if you slow down you're subconciously agreeing to a conversation and then you'll have to end it politely... takes too long.

So yeh...I hate chuggers, hope that's clear :p

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

"Night buses" really exist? So that is where the one in the Harry Potter movie came from. :eek:

Funny article. It seems that London really is a world of its own. :)

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    LOL, my technique is get out my phone and pretend to be speaking to someone, avoid eye contact, do not walk around them (I sometimes walk straight at them!) but walk swiftly as though you're running late until you've walked past them... Works every time! :)

So kwun, are you going to make a surprise appearance at our London meet? ;)

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With regard to chuggers (or anybody, really), I find that a badge with "COME NEAR ME AND I'LL KILL YOU" written on it in tiny letters tends to get the point across:D.

There really should be a law against it, IMO, but an extremely prominent set of iPod earphones is a reasonably effective "get lost".

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, and if you fall asleep and miss your stop, you've had it, innit. Once happened to me though luckily I only had to walk an hour and 20 mins back to my place.:(

And talk about "sarf of da river" - yeah, mostly true!

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

wouldn't it easier if you just cross the road and get the bus going the other way, or just stay on eventually it will turn round and back to your stop

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think there wasn't a bus going back for even longer. In any case, just waiting there, there is a risk of falling asleep and missing the next bus with an inebriated state.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, tempted. but unfortunately even if i have the funding (i did look, around US$1500 for the flight ticket... ;) ), my boss will kill me for it. :(

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

it was that cheap several weeks/a month or so ago (at least for BA w/direct flight & economy class)...anyway, you should start own business/venture, that way you can go off anytime ;)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

:p..unless it's the OTHER "boss"..:p;)

20. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Here on the East coast, you could have taken the 'cheap' way to the Olympics earlier this week: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/yo...xid=EAAAACD_N29-7CmDyYe4sM7ENrk;utmxpreview=0
    The Bounty wasn't headed for London ... but I heard that, once before, it has been 'convinced' to go places its captain never intended.;) (Sadly, bosses threatening death were involved in that case, too):(