Article: The Art of Badminton Deception - Hold and Hit

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by shooting stroke, Aug 28, 2010.

1. feafea

feafea New Member

How do you practice this technique? Is it possible to practice this technique alone? How much of a wrist motion is involved? Are there any useful drills?

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    The only way for you to practice this deception or any other deception is to fully understand all the requirements and techniques that are required to performed this deception and practice with your partner by feeding you with shuttlecocks. The above video can be one useful example how to practice this deception.

In regards with the wrist motion involvement in this deception, it's not just your wrist but also the whole unit of your forearm together with your wrist that needs to accurately sychronize its movement together with the travel trajectory of the birdie as well as it's last movement effect to produce that deceptive hit in order to convincingly deliver the outcome of this deception.

3. snack62

snack62 Regular Member

i'm a casual player, i c above ppl talking about footwork. i was wondering if there is any examples to show me the basic footwork. thanks:)

4. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    Yes indeed i cannot agree more that you need to master the basics first before trying trick shots! Also additionally i wrote about the importance of doing the first 'fake' movement accurately before the actual trick shot! The website is below www.art-of-badminton.com Ideally it should be your swinging direction that has convince your opponents of your first 'fake' shot, however for a start you could explore using your body posture and explore how to trick your opponent, for example, your whole body shift to the right and you swing like a cross-net yet you do a net shot! Additionally when you hit professional levels, there are in fact more tricks, just that their movement have became so fine, it is impossibly hard for outsiders to see unless you are really sharp. On top of that! Professional players have very smooth footwork, thus it seems that they are not tricked, but in fact they are but the stopping time is so short it seems like there were not tricked! ~Gerald Ong

5. doughnut

doughnut Regular Member

Is this useful for the lady at the net in MD?

6. shooting stroke

Once you are very proficient in executing any type of deception, regardless if you're playing singles or double, its application can be very useful to give you that extra winning edge.

However, how useful a well executed deception can be in making the your rhythm of game play becomes very unpredictable, in a long run, you still must adhere to all the basic essential technical and tactical strategies ( addressing birdie early, simple net shot, smart offensive pattern etc....) to gain that winning package as a whole while playing.

SS

7. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Example 1
    [video=youtube;Nf_EHhlrQ7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_EHhlrQ7s[/video]
    Example 2
    [video=youtube;1M8mGVXkV4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8mGVXkV4U[/video]

8. sharathcv

sharathcv Regular Member

Engineer
    There are lot of samples on You Tube. Best way is to do lot of shadowing.

9. Dazhu Wang

Dazhu Wang Regular Member

students
    very useful hint!

10. Dazhu Wang

Dazhu Wang Regular Member

students
    I am still practing by following your instruction...

11. shooting stroke

Hi there,

Keep practicing but importantly make sure that your basic technique is right first;)

SS.