Swiss OPEN GPG 2012 Semifinal and Final

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2012' started by etudiant, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Wang Shixian vs Saina tomorrow...interesting fact: the two last met roughly two years ago in Hong Kong Open.

I am quite curious to see how Wang Shixian will be surprised by her game.

Will she lose on purpose or play to the fullest ? we will see

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Woke up to catch the last MD match of the 2nd session and read all the commentaries from abedeng for all the results rather than go directly to Tournament Software. Good work, abedeng.

As usual the organizers have put the least exciting match first so that some people have ample time to shop for groceries.

I am rooting for LHI and SN tonight.

#402 nokh88, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. miksss

miksss Regular Member

wow.. Towi/Butet is eyeing on winnning back to back titles (They had done it in mid of last year, appear in 4 consecutive final with 3 back to back titles, India SS, MAS GPG and Singapore SS).

Head to Head against Sudket/Saralee is 2-0. Towi/Butet beat in Macau GPG and SEA Games with 21-17 21-11 and 21-7 21-14 respectively. But, Towi/Butet should'nt underestimate them though.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup I also read the entire thread, having just woken up and the live commentary from abedeng is as always, priceless!

I am not exactly surprised by Taufik or AG/Alvent's loss. AG/Alvent is probably the only top 10 pair that has not won a single title at GP level yet and I am still convinced by their ability to beat fellow top 20 pairs!

Towi/Butet were again stretched to 3-sets. Luckily, they don't have to face the Chinese pair today. 4 down, 1 to go this week! Winning the title this week is also imperative for them to make sure they stay seeded for the Olympics as they have a huge 34,750 pts (winning Malaysia GPG, India and Singapore SS titles as well runner-up at INA GPG) to defend between now and the London Games. Another 7k pts this week will make up for the MAS GPG pts!

XD FINAL
    Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir
    [1] vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam [3] - why oh why do they arrange this match not as the first match, but as the last match! This forces me to stay awake! So far, Towi/Butet have no problems against Sudket/Saralee, but from I watched yesterday, the Thais are on a roll, esp Sudket with his sharp smashes and delicate touches. Yes, the INA pair should not under-estimate the Thais and if they play their normal game, 2 titles in a row should be possible!

#404 badMania, Mar 17, 2012
  5. K_a_d_e

K_a_d_e Regular Member

Worker
    Im so sad when i saw the semifinal result for ina's squat, of course im pleased by owi/natsir's perfortmance yet again our last hope fulfill the expectation. But for the other player... they should do better than this, let say Jauhari/ Polii, Kido/Setiawan, Alven/Hendra, Annekke/nintya seems like they starting to learn form Jauhari/ Polii :eek:, Rijal/Susanto yet again lost to He hanbin/ Bay Yixin, i just dont know whats wrong with those player

6. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

People are alway having a special attitude towards Chinese players and keen to write them off when chances come.

I mean, name me another player who could beat LCW thrice in the same year in the past 5 years? (not to mention all with 2011 which was know to be the year when LCW was in his best form all these years! I guess only LD...) Imaging if someone could beat LD 3 times In a year! (not even LCW could do that!)

The special exclusive route training only on one player is also a stupid thinking (forgive for any offence, but I must say so).

No coach would do so unless this player is already able to beat the rest of players but this one (like LCW's training on LD, or vice versa), how on earth a coach could assume CL could meet LCW before beating all other players en route???!!! No coach must be stupid enough to commit a suicide like this, and would not be LYB!!!

#406 Jonc108, Mar 17, 2012
  7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    of course u can score well when in focus in one subject
    dont u?
    if u cant score well when focus on one subject,i dont think u gonna have any exam again,will get kick out

jamesd20 replied u
    hehe

read the reply below

i was about to reply the same thing
    hehe

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

This is not like exam, u could concentrate on one subject (even ignore the rest) and score good in that subject directly...

CL could not jump "directly" to meet LCW in SF or finals to beat him without getting pass other players in R1, R2, QF & SF...

Just name me another player who could beat LCW 3 times with the same year, within a span of 3 months. CL did it, and did it convincingly. So their last 5 H2H is 3:2. The 2 wins by LCW was both close matches in 3 sets. this is the biggest difference (in quality) amongst him and the rest of players other than LCW/LD.

Yes, every top player does study the other top players' way of play, and figure out the strategy how to beat him. But this is on top of their basic training, and the study would not just concentrate on one single player. I am sure every top players should have studied the plays of LCW & LD, not only CL..

Yes CL may have more motivation to beat LCW when play against him. Who don't? Which young player would reject the temptation to beat leading players??? (I also want to if I could.. :D) You could ask the HK player WWK what does it taste after beating LD & CJ? Or Cordon on his beating CL in WC last year!

Do u think PSH or Sasaki was route training to beat LD since they beat LD a bit more times than many other players???

Yes I believe Chinese coaching team did more research on other countries' players to make sure their own players learned more about their opponents before meeting them. And I also believe they do have mock practice with some of their coaching staff emulating their major opponents' play for familiarization. But that's not route training on one single player.

CL's current form could be due to his inconsistency, could be due to other players' adaptation to his play, could be due to lack of physical form, or could be due to the Chinese team's pre-OG training cycle. Remember how LD performed in early 2008 prior to OG? Many people here wrote him off (of course compared with LCW) before OG. Then everyone knew what LD did at OG final.

I was just amused at the way people here so promt of jumping to conclusion instead of analyze subjectively...

#408 Jonc108, Mar 17, 2012
  9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Well, i think you may be analysing too subjectively on his record against LCW.

Objectively his initial results are good in the short time he has been around, but subjectively if you take a look at his play, technique, etc... I think you can tell he is not in the league of somemother players. Maybe he can develop into one, but when you make hard work of relatively easy matches you make it harder to progress in later stages.

10. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yes, it's so night match :eek:

11. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    I think the defeat last night to LHI actually is good thing for CL. CL doesn't need points but he needs to know the strength and weakness of his main opponents prior to London Olympics. He certainly is not at his peak. As I said in the past, it is quite difficult for a player to maintain at the top form all the time. Even Lin dan didn't try to do it. Most chinese players are trained to be peak at the right time. There is why they win so many important tournaments. CL was at his peak in last quarter of 2011 to collect his points. He is more at the relax mood and try to study his opponents more. I am not worry about his defeats at the moment. You will see his true colour at London Olympics. I remember LHI beat Lin Dan at korean open in January 2008 but Lin Dan was the one who grapped the olympics title in August 2008.

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

If motivation is the key, we should see CL perform at the same level when against LD as he did against LCW. But that's not the case. CL anticipates LCW's shots much much better than LD's -- it's a weird thing when you think about it, as he plays against LD everyday while meets LCW only a few times before.

Seems to me, route training or not, it is very clear that Team China specially prepared CL to surprise LCW. This is a good strategy because this would force LCW to spend much time prepare against CL -- which LCW clearly hadn't done before the end of last year, and thus spend less time on LD; While at the same time LD can put much more time in studying LCW, since he really doesn't need to worry about CL. So don't be surprised if we see something like OG08 final again... It's kind of unfair to LCW, but that's just reality. :)

This is why I really wish old guys like TH, LHI, and PG to be in their best possible form in OG12. This would force LD/LCW to spent less time on studying each other and make the games more interesting to watch.

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Not everyone can see livescore. Those with phones,tablets which are NOT flash enabled will not be able to. Most popular : iphone, ipad. Others : blackberry,windows phone.If you scroll back, you will see members request for score update. If you cant stand this, just watch livescore during the match, read the comments in this thread later

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    thats why he lost to the like of hafiz,hans vittinghus,marc,shon wan ho,kevin cordon

not to mention kenichi tago(twice),boonsak(twice),lee hyun il(twice),uncle peter(twice) and uncle taufik(twice)

liverpool too beat man utd 4-1 away,they boast a lot about it
    but end up man utd is the league chanpion
    and they say,we beat them 4-1 at their home
    we are better than the champion

looks familiar to me;)

#414 limsy, Mar 17, 2012
  15. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    just a food for thought, hmmm when was the last time a non-Chinese player defeated LCW in a Super Series event. The last one i could barely remembered was Sony..who outplayed him in Singapore 2 years ago.

So far only two players have managed to stop LCW;'s killing spree. Lin Dan and Chen Long; most of the victories belonged to lin dan though. no discredit to chen long but i guess he fought really hard to win them last year

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Taufik beat LCW in WC 2010 if not mistaken, not SS tourney but still a major international tourmey.
    Anyway, main pt is wow factor. When LD came to the scene, wow. Taufik,wow. LCW andPG, sorta wow. Even Bao2, not bad wow. Chen Long, hmmmmmm, like an improved version of robot's style - some China fans think so too, so its not the so called bias of non China fans.

Face it, aft watching LD, Taufik,LCW,PG, the current youngsters seem bland in comparison. I'm waiting to see if Tian Hou Wei has the wow factor at senior stage.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My picks for the day:

WD - Zhong QX/ Bao YX
    MD - Fang/Lee
    MS - Lee HI
    WS - Wang SX
    XD - Tantowi/Lilyana

18. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Wang Shixian might lose this one....there's personal agenda ongoing at the moment about her Olympics prospects after seeing Li Xuerui's impressive run in the german and all england. Should she let Saina win to overtake Li Xuerui....drama

19. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    SWISS open basically is a personal test and chance for WSX to beat nonchinese players and she did well so far. I think she will try her best to win this match to convince her big boss that she can beat saina. So, WSX will take this match for sure.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This time round I've confidence in Wang SX esp against a known quantity. If it were Mitani,the element of surprise might be there,who knows this is the start of her sudden rise, but Saina, we more or less know her capability or lack thereof, a bit lucky she only have to meet one 2nd-tier CHN player not in the top 5, even Jiang YJ could have taken her out. Well,we shall soon see but on current form, WSX is back to her best, and, I concur with you on the LXR factor which should motivate her even more to win this one.