Yellow Card for not shaking hands

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, Feb 15, 2012.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ so this yellow card at the end of the match, does it carry over to the next match?

if not, then it's only a formality just for show...

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Hmm, I don't think I have read anywhere stating that there is a yellow card to be given, only a fine. Will someone please point out where it says a yellow must be given?

And cards do not carry over, but umpires must write a note and what not to the referee and after a few collection of yellow cards, there will be fines.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    most interesting reading!!!

http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/do...gulation_Changes_-_23_December_2011_DP_1_.pdf

4. CantSmashThis

Hmm, I don't see anywhere where it says a yellow must be given. But it would be reported for a $100 fine.

Maybe unless its very excessive such as Chen Long running around the gym first, then I'll think about pulling that card.

"However if a player consistently takes off his shirt to celebrate every time they win a match and after being told not to by the Referee then a Referee can take action under Players Code of Conduct 4.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct."

I would imagine a player to take off their shirt only if they win the championship and usually not after every single match they won.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh a 100$ fine and/or a yellow card would definitely keep me from jumping around, putting my shirt off and celebrating with my coach after having won the WC or olympics...!

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

But it would stop me from celebrating after beating someone like Lee Hyun Il, Kenichi Tago in the first round of the all England, if I didn't think I'd get past the next round...

Hang on, it only says celebrating with coaches, it doesn't say I can't drop to my knees, throw my top into the crowd and then shake hands...

7. CantSmashThis

I wouldn't mind the dropping to the knees 1st, but the throwing the top into the crowd goes with "taking shirt off". And it says 'leaving the field of play to celebrate with their Coach or the crowd etc’.

So I don't think you can toss your shirt into the crowd either.

I wouldn't mind if they drop to the knees, toss their racket up, then go shake

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Ok, I don't see yellow card must be given in that 23 Dec 2011 BWF document either. But my initial suggestion that a yellow card is to be given is based on an article by ttymq.com (in Chinese):

http://www.ttymq.com/viewnews-21480.html

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    What protocol Badminton players should follow?

Or to say that "Please wait, I need to ring my mother first before I shake hands with my opponents".

I think this thread is not talking about what protocol Badminton players should follow.

In my post earlier, I mentioned about it;

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ha Ha ha. What are you on about? nonsense. With regards to the celebrations badminton is more competitive now with a lot more training and dedication, it is more of a professional sport than it ever was bigger prze money etc. So bearing this in mind, at the top of world badminton, when you dedicate(sacrifice) your life for these wins and you get one what do you do?????? you celebrate, it would be disingenuous not to.

With regards to respecting your opponent - Nobody celebrates massively if they have expected to win hence celebrating is showing respect to your opponent,

11. CantSmashThis

I think they should change it to, some celebration is okay, but don't do it excessively as in run around the gym. You should be allowed to drop to the floor, take off your shirt, hug you coach then shake hands with your opponent.

Celebrating with the crowd and everything can come afterwards.

12. CantSmashThis

JJS/LYD didn't get carded for this in AE Finals :p

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LD and LCW took off their shirts after the match. Should they both be given yellow cards?

14. CantSmashThis

The rules doesn't say a yellow for taking off shirt. It just says that you should shake hands with your opponent's 1st. And they both agreed to exchange shirts, happens in lots of sports, nothing wrong with that!

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah I saw this straight over to coach to celebrate after jjs finished celebrating lying down. so what's the deal then?, they must have realised it was a stupid idea and quietly stopped enforcing it. If it is enforced again I willnot be chuffed

16. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I think that this rule is really stupid because why can't players absorb what they have won? even for a moment? But certainly they have to shake hands at the end, to show respect and sportsmanship to the other player.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

One problem with enforcing this rule is that in especially high stakes games, there is much adrenaline flowing in all players and with such a deep contrast in raw and extreme emotions of high and low between the winners and losers at the end of an hour long battle, the players would probably appreciate a little bit of time before they are forced to come into close personal contact by shaking hands. I think as long as the winners don't gloat over their win and over celebrate it by dancing around the court while leaving the losers stranded at the net waiting to shake, it should be fine.

18. cyclone9

cyclone9 Regular Member

i mean this card must be bring forward to the next match.

19. tranqq

tranqq Regular Member

I think players sholdnt be allowed to leave the court before shaking hands. But on court celebrations should be allowed

20. visor

visor Regular Member

probably the best solution then is for the coaches to come to the court immediately after match is over while the winners are still celebrating rolling on the ground... then the coaches can help them up, shake hands and they can walk over to the net to shake with the losers... all this while without ever leaving the court :)