Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Then as far as I'm concerned, not really valid, as it come from 3rd party. I read most of the media articles on Msian badminton, from 5 different press. As far as I recall, havent come across one that says so. If coach critic so strong, it also reflects on the coach, player(student) dont do well, it is also the coach's(sifu) fault. The coach will the 1st to get phone call from Sports Minister.:p:p
    Rashid is the one who sometimes make silly statements but mostly he critic/blame the back up players. Rashid & TSB usually is full of praise for LCW, LCW is the blue eyed boy. Misbun will say something flowery like a 2 edged sword, can have 2 to 3 meaning,haha

2. viver

viver Regular Member

Actually this post escaped me. :eek:

According to your post, you are a firm believer of Tang's methods. Would you care to share the principles that guided Tang Xinfu's game. :confused:

What matters is LCW won the tournament. A win is a win, whether one is in form or not does not matter. Congratulations and hope this will give him the confidence to go further.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

So anyone still wants to comment about his coach?;) Looks like ah TEH this time boleh..

4. george@chongwei

To me, i see he is a bit darker..

5. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I noticed that TSB hardly smiles now.

I got a message for Rashid also. For god sake stop looking like a half dead sleepy spectator. If you are sitting in the coaches corner at least participate.

6. george@chongwei

His mission is just to 'show face';)

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Reporting the weather forecast

With badminton being a prominent sport in Malaysia and LCW making known to people across the globe where Malaysia is (also thanks to Nicol David too. Nothing worth shouting about for sepak takraw and football at the moment :rolleyes:), you'd think the sports' writers and columnist can bring a little more words to paint a picture like Jeremy Clarkson does cars. But no, it's just as plain as a weather forecast report. (report it like a tsunami for goodness sake)

But when it's a loss suffered by LCW to LD, suddenly it's a 5,000 words essay column never failing to mention things like mental block, pale shadow, phobia, bogeyman, etc.. (when someone is trying to overcome failure, it really does not help to hear ppl mentioning it so many times till your brain circuits overload). Sport psychologist can attest to that. You just want to learn from the mistake, don't harp on it for too long, overlook it and move on to better expectations and resolutions.

But I have to say at least Najib finds the time to show that he really appreciates what LCW is doing.

Although many of you commented that LCW was far from elated despite this long awaited win over LD (whether it's badly needed or not, again it's another debatable point), I did detect through some of LCW's body language and manerrisms while his head was a little bowed,for a while his eyes were turning mildly red when the winner was announced on that podium. Maybe there was dust in his eyes or his eyes were bloodshot through all that rallies made possible by the slower shuttles used. I don't know. I rest my case. :D

8. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    This one had me in stitches. :p

9. WJan2007

WJan2007 Regular Member

I am LCW's supporter. However, to be fair for LD, he is till very good. He just lost his focus in the third game in KO. If he can keep his sharpness and focus like what he shown in the 1st game, LCW may not win the match. We can see LCW needed to work hard to score a point in the first 2 games.

10. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Its always the "IF" that determines the outcome. That's the nature of any game in fact.

IF LCW was not nervous he could have beaten LD in the first game
    IF the shuttle was not slow, LCW could have played his normal game and fared better.
    IF LCW didn't unexpectly overperform during the end of 2nd set, LD could have kept his focus and won.
    IF LD did not make some bad shots he could have won the 2nd game
    IF LD was more patient and did not smash wildly to the net he could have won the 2nd game
    IF .... can go on and on till the cow comes home

All the if statements is just an excuse to justify the result and for fans to rant about.

LCW was the better player overall, he upped his game when it mattered and won the match.

#7350 rogerv2, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My view is tbat ld screwed it up in game 2. A typical arrogance. ;) Which we hppe he will carry on.

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Not everyone can play to their full potential all the time. Not LCW, not LD. There going to be occasional wobbles and I think LCW caught LD in one, under favourable playing conditions.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

I had just posted this in the finals thread, but thought since you're discussing it here, I'll post here too:

I just rewatched G2 and G3 again. LD was very focused and after a slow start was slowly gaining on LCW, until after that line call he didn't like at 10-12.

From then on, he kept trying to hit that line like 4-5 times, all of them going way out! :eek: By then, he also accumulated a few other uncharacteristic unforced errors, allowing LCW a run of 7 points in a row! After that, it was too far for LD to catch up, and he kinda just got discouraged.

Very interesting and bizarre to watch. However, LCW and his coaches better take notes of this crack in LD's armour, if they want to win more matches in the future! :p :D

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Talking about line calls, here is a true story:
    2 weeks back, I was playing with my friend and he claimed a clearly out shot as in. He got pissed when I said no way and hit the next 3 points out from the service reply. I told him to get lost if he does not want to play. He got over it and won the set.

If LD over reacted over the line call, then LCW got nothing to build on. He has the return all of LD's super shots, that would certainly piss him off.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Pick up a few good coaching books and you should be able to gather more playing tips

It's great that you, pcll99 and Pakito are also firm believers of Tang's methods. But after reading some of our BCers' reply, such as;

It would be a waste of time for me to continue to post about Tang's methods.

#7355 chris-ccc, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  16. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    Congratulation Chong Wei. Not for winning the KO but for staying positive and kept on fighting when you were playing catch up in game 2 and after losing a one sided game 1. I know a lot of people watching it halfway into 2nd game feel the same as I do when Lindan looked like he was going to wrap it up in straight sets. I have my moment of doubt too...but you were brilliant today Chong Wei. You kept your cool and you didn't give up. So when you won that 2nd game, I though it doesn't matter what happen in game 3, you were already a winner today with that kind of mental toughness. Now..Keep it up until the Olympics ok ;)

#7356 limb7567, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    before you give up, please tell us something about the accuracy of your recollection of Tang's teachings.... Did you tape-record what he said? did u write it down at the time? perhaps something else??

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A demonstration of a particular point can be much easier

Much notes were taken down from this great master's session. :):):)

But the notes were not as useful as the demonstration given by Tang.

And I have posted before - A demonstration of a particular point can be much easier to do, than to put them down in words.

Here is an example: Tang said please pay attention to the position of the point of impact when I smash.

Guess what other coaches in our group later asked me : How did Tang get so much power from his smash?

Much of information was lost when some did not follow what Tang was trying to say: When he specified about the position of the point of impact when he smashed, others were paying attention on his smash technique (not the importance of the point of impact).

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Chris, I am just pulling your legs, part joking...please enlighten us with Tang's training methodology...in previous post, I said a photo worth a thousand words, how about a video to demonstrate some pointers...

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

China should be grateful for Tang to return to China to teach Badminton

As one of the most active members at BadmintonCentral, of course I get to know who are our BCers here;
    * to give info
    * to chat
    * to joke
    * to troll
    * etc, etc......

Tang was a great player. When he decided to establish (in China) coaching sessions for players who wish to play better Badminton, only some CHN players followed his methods at the beginning.

Guess what? In previous years, when I posted that China should be grateful for Tang (from Indonesia) to return to China to teach Badminton. But many BCers argued with me that China was already good at Badminton before Tang returned home to China. :):):)

So, I have decided to keep Tang's teachings out of this LCW's thread - where we find most readers here are Malaysian BCers anyway; who don't appreciate Tang's methods as much (since Tang was an Indonesian and then later, a Chinese player).

Later perhaps, I might continue with this topic in this thread;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...g-Xianhu-The-Thing-(Is-He-The-Greatest-Ever-)