Oh my god. LD, not again?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / Indonesia GP Gold 2011' started by leesing2k, Sep 23, 2011.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, if you spend as much as me in this forum, you will be as good as me in spoting who is who and I am getting disheartened with the situation. Many I know have not been active here.

Sorry, OT.

2. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I don't think it's fair to just declare someone (in this case Yamyam's) opinion as irrelevant. I think he's just blowing this issue completely out of proportion. GC just commented on a pattern of behavior, big deal. You are acting like she called Chen Long the scum of the earth and then flew to China and pissed on the graves of all his ancestors. Seriously there are more worthy things to get upset about on this planet. Getting so upset over some English Language commentary that 0.00005% of the English speaking world even heard is goofy. But, go ahead start a campaign to get GC replaced maybe they'll bring back that god awful English guy (I don't know his name) they had a while ago. Trust me a week of him and you'll be on here starting "I miss GC, please bring her back threads".

BTW, isn't this seriously OT?

#122 thunder.tw, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  3. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I don't see how expressing my displeasure about the biasness of a very prominent figure in almost all major BWF events on a badminton forum is "getting so upset" and "blowing things out of proportion". I simply want to voice my opinion. Again, if you had read my previous posts, I am not suggesting that GC is beyond all hope and should be replaced because although her commentary is repetitive and sometimes way over the top, she is one of the best in the commentating business (in English, that is). Indeed, it is precisely because that I do respect her as a commentator that I bother to rant about this in the first place. I don't want her to end up as the joke which I see That Guy (Is it John Burgess?) as.

And flite, of course my arguments are my personal opinions and are thus subject to my personal bias. And this is OK because I'm on a discussion forum. GC is, undoubtedly, allowed to have her personal opinions and bias as well, but she should refrain from expressing them on air as an impartial commentator. I have a pretty good memory of the matches that I've watched if I dare say so myself, and it took all of a few minutes to find the examples that I needed. Please don't worry about me being agitated because I can assure you, I'm not.

Well I do apologize for going on a tangent wrt to the original topic. I've said what I wanted to say on the matter. Feel free to disagree. Have a nice day.

4. vin219

vin219 Regular Member

businessman
    honestly they should ban people from conceding so many walkover.. this is not good for d sport! As in match fixing scandal in seria a! they should do sumthing quick!

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I did not state she was a poor comentator, or that I have a problem with that she seems biased. I would have more problem if she was unengaged. But I think it is wrong to view her views as the "truth", and disregard that she may be even more biased than viewers with less daily contact with players ;-)

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Lots of talk :) disregarding the fact that Tago, Gade, WZM, Ouseph are far easier opponents for LCW than Chen Jin, Chen Long, Lin Dan. Even WITH the WO Chen Long spent MORE time on court playing in JO than LCW (adding the match length of allt the matches played).. So in terms of resting hours vs. playing hours.. CL played more and rested less than LCW !!

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Are you a line judge, by any chance? :-D

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Used to but given up. I was easily influenced by the players. They shouted out even before the shuttle landed.

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yeah
    some L guy will ask u on their side with money and power,IF u line judging some C player

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Talking about celebrating after defeating your opponent, I somehow prefer the "old-fashion" idea of shaking hands with your defeated opponent first before celebrating with others like your coach or friends.

To me this is common courtesy and as a mark of respect to your rival. Remember you can be on the receiving end too, being the victim ignored just like LCW. Just as it is a mark of appreciation to the umpire and service judge to thank them for officiating your game, whether or not you thought they had been fair.

And coaches should always instill this courtesy to their trainees to thank those directly involved in the match first.

When I first attended a table-tennis tournament, I was pleasantly surprised to witness the kind of sportsmanship meted out by the rival players. They shook hands after the match, then they did the same with the officials before going to each other's coach to do likewise. They even acknowledged their rival's coach. That kind of courtesy afforded to their opponents, officials and coaches is what I would like to see in badminton as well.

It is a mark of sportsmanship, courtesy and respect to your opponent at the least.

11. vin219

vin219 Regular Member

businessman
    well said loh!

12. laonong

laonong Regular Member

LCW started this long celebration when he beat LD ? Or some other player started this?

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It really does not matter who started first.

One must maintain the spirit of good sportsmanship whatever the case.
    If a player has not shown respect to his opponent, he must not be encouraged to continue in his unacceptable behavior.

"An eye for an eye" can BLIND the whole world!

14. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Sorry to bring up this old topic, but there is a new regulation set in place regarding shaking your opponents' hands after the match.

‘Before, during and after any match does not comply with the goodwill formalities such as thanking TO’s, shaking hands with opposing players, etc. Players must thank their opponents and Umpire before leaving the field of play to celebrate with their Coach or the crowd etc’.

There is a $100 fine for those who don't.

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    In Badminton, without an opponent, then there will be no player.

If a player respect his opponent regardless whatever the outcome of the match, especially if he is the LOSER from an anticipated high level battle, he will be respected and remembered for having a high level of sportmanship.

Regardless of the outcome of the match, the weight of such respect will be more visible if the courtesy of shaking hand is slighlty PROLONGED and accompany by a few short motivational remarks and facial gesture.

It seeems to be to much to ask but if you are the winner and the loser self INITIATE such courtesy to you while you are jumping and shouting celebrating your victory first, then you will realise that without him, you are nothing because.......... in Badminton, without an opponent, then there will no player.