2011 Japan Open SS: Day 5 (Semi-Finals) Sat 24-September

Discussion in 'Japan Open / Indonesia GP Gold 2011' started by chris-ccc, Sep 23, 2011.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Like stomach-ache perhaps?

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The most recent one was a toe injury.

3. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    At least they will stage the players! There will be SHOW :D And in the finest form, no -ache will be involved :p just play but one may give in to his/her compatriot. One may still criticize this legal evasion but that's another case.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But in Singapour it was LD's stomach. The thing is, if it was not so frequent, we would not be so doubtful or negative. But it now happens all the time, and it is not made with any camouflage attempt.

5. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    Demolidor; you mentioned that “you've heard faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse than this, this is absolute peanuts”, I would appreciate if you could highlight a few of these recent incidents this year.

I watched the video again in slow motion and must say that I can’t be 100% sure LCW moved before the service. It was such a close call that even with the benefit of the slow-motion replay, it is not a clear-cut case. Having said that, how could we expect the umpire to fault LCW under such circumstance?

Firstly, it is quite rare that an umpire faults a player when he moves a split second before the service (even if in this case LCW actually did move before the service). In fact under normal circumstances, LCW would need to repeat this feat at least twice in a row before the umpire could take notice and be 100% sure that a fault has occurred. As you know, it is usually the player who serves above the waist who gets faulted more frequently.

Secondly, I noticed that at 11-5 when LCW was serving to PG, PG was also equally fast off the marks and could just as well be faulted. In fact on several occasions in the game, I noticed PG was pretty close to getting faulted himself if the umpire had “WOKEN UP!”. So when PG shouted at the umpire to “COME ON, WAKE UP!!”, it was quite interesting to see LCW smiling or snickering at PG at his desperate attempt at gamesmanship. I am of the opinion that LCW was simply too fast and good in that particular return of serve from PG for him to react in time and as a result, PG lost an easy point at a crucial moment.

Thirdly, PG, like most of his Danish counterparts like Rytter Juhl; Joachim Fischer (yellow-carded yesterday); Mathias Boe (the worst of the lot); Jan Jorgensen (although better these days maybe because he had been put in his place by many great players); is mostly cocky and a sore loser especially when opponents like LCW could toy with him throughout the game and made him looked so ordinary. How in badminton could a 35-year old ‘legendary’ player like PG be beaten with such ease and asked to swallow such a humbling defeat by anyone?

So he has to take it out on someone and the poor asian umpire was our sacrificial lamb.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I dunno, really. Maybe PG is a bit more expressive and demonstrative about his opinions and feelings, and that's about all there is to it. These guys play for the pride of being the best in the world, and they can get easily caught up in the heat of the moment. Look at Chen Long at the end of the finals that he won; a lot of people will say a lot of things, but not allow for the fact that at 22 years he is still very young, and will temper his reactions with more experience and exposure.

We are just onlookers and fans, and most of us are not even physically present at the event. And we tend to get worked up and get our knickers all in a twist (at least I do!! :D) at something that happens on our television screens, and influenced or irritated by the commentators' words, and that becomes a whole new subject! :D

And then we play the culture card, forgetting that these players have been travelling around the world for years, and are pretty much clued in to other cultures and ways by now. And that they probably also know a lot of the top umpires by now. That remark about "poor asian umpire" was surely uncalled for: PG gives to equally to anyone when he is in the mood!! :D Besides, there are so many players who indulge in gamesmanship and brinksmanship nowadays and are either actively or passively encouraged by their coaches and others (and no, it's not just the Danes who are the culprits) and that IMO is far worse than gramps letting off some steam. :p I guess LCW was also probably just enjoying the moment...

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree with Cobalt.
    And PG is just more ready to openly contest the umpire's decision - that is and was always his style, it has nothing to do with "asian" (and "poor"?) or european. There are 1000 ways to influence the play, this is just one. Refusing to change the shuttle (something LD and LCW alas! play at when they meet), making the serving player wait by raising one's hand (what CL did at China masters last week in the semis, really infuriated PG), shout strongly (all the girls in CHN team : have you seen in the WD final at this JO how the Taiwanese team was upset by the shouts of the young lads?), etc., etc.
    As for PG's defeat, we now know that LCW was not in the best of shape and he was not 'toying' at all.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I sure hope you mean young ladies... although one of 'em does look laddish ;)

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Well summarized Cobalt. Indeed, youthful exuberance got the better of CL in the heat of the moment. He will learn from it.

10. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    1. Was PG rude and most disrespectful to the umpire with his outburst? Ans: Yes, most definitely!
    2. Was the umpire of Asian origin? Ans: Yes, and of course as a matter of factly.
    3. Does it feel poor and demeaned to be abused by anyone like that on national TV? Ans: Yes, most definitely!
    4. Did PG apologised to the umpire? Ans: No (didn't see it on the screen at least)
    5. "PG is a bit more expressive and demonstrative about his opinions and feelings." Ans: No excuse & besides the point, he was rude to the umpire.
    6. "We are just onlookers and fans...." Ans: The camera never lies, we all saw it on our PCs/TVs/Plasma/LCDs.
    7. "these players have been travelling around the world for years, and are pretty much clued in to other cultures and ways by now" Ans: Disagree. Doesn't mean two hoots.
    8. "...hey probably also know a lot of the top umpires by now." Ans: Not true. Pure speculation. All the more inexcusable.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Beside the point and bad faith. Get over it.

12. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    ignorance is bliss.