Peter GADE

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Good luck to him at WC2011

2. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    PHG is a real gentleman and he gave credit where credit is due.
    He did not give give any excuse for his losses in the Singapore and Indonesian Opens. Instead, he said that he has to work on certain areas of his game.
    He is also a good family man.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Why not tell us here ;) ?

4. AustrianPower

AustrianPower Regular Member

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    I was wondering the same thing as you, probably he is trying to promote his blog :D

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Veterans Taufik and Peter-Gade eye different objectives in final world meet

Full story: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/8/8/sports/9256636&sec=sports

Excerpts:

The 35-year-old Christensen said that the desire to win the world title “has kept me going” and he is now into his 11th outing.

“I am surprised that I have lasted this long. I am staying on until next year’s Olympic Games. I have one more world meet here and that’s it,” he said.

“There is no better place to end my quest for the world title than Wembley. This place has a lot of history and I am happy just to be a part of it.

“I should have won the world title in 2001 in Seville but Hendrawan popped up unexpectedly to win. Anyway, I have no regrets ... I have enjoyed every single event since my debut in 1995.”

Christensen said that strong will power and mental strength as well as his willingness to accept new ideas have kept him among the top echelon of shuttlers and made him a genuine contender for the title after 16 years.

“I have to look at new ways to keep up with the other players, especially with the world’s top two Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei,” he said.

“I am physically at a high level and I believe that I can still optimise my condition.

“I have the mental edge over many of my opponents and I will use to it my advantage.”

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    After 16 years at the top, what can we say about Peter? :):):)

Go Peter Go. Finish it off on a high note.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from Peter:

"Hey Guys, My first update from the world championships here at Wembley, London. I arrived here yesterday evening together with my compatriot Hans Kristian and team manager Finn Trærup. I haven’t been that much in London and I’ve been looking forward to this. Probably I won’t see that much of London and mostly stay around Wembley for the next week:) There is always a lot on your mind before entering a big championship. And this time is a bit special because its my last WC, but still the run-up has been the same as always.. a tough period of 6 weeks with a lot of hard work and now you want to go on court and make it happen. As you know my fist match will be on tuesday against Rajiv Ouseph, England. Not an easy opener but If I can play well I stand a good chance.

This evening I’ll go to the stadium for the first time. Really look forward to that. Beside that, all is about relaxing and saving up energy…I’ll be back soon.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

He's finally found a (main) sponsor as well: DANMIL (untill the Olympics after which he announced he will retire; iirc they also sponsor Carsten Mogensen)
    The sound as usual is so soft on these interview vids so don't foget to turn down your volume once you've finished struggling to understand a single word ;)

[video=youtube;Jbo61DsdezQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbo61DsdezQ[/video]

#89 demolidor, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Peter says:

Hey Guys, Well, tomorrow is kick off for me at the 2011 World Championships here in London. I’m up against Rajiv Ouseph tomorrow afternoon at Wembley. I’ve played Rajiv a number of times and never lost. I’ll try and repeat that tomorrow and get a good start to the tournament. Rajiv is a good player and he’s at home here. I expect a tough fight but if I can play as my form is I think I have a good chance. I feel well prepared and look forward to be on court here at the Wembley Arena.. Until then, I’ll go search for a nice restaurant here in the local area… and watch a movie☺ I’ll be back after my match tomorrow..

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D What is this: "☺"???

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Good Luck to Peter Gade

Peter could be on court (for Round 1) playing against Rajiv Ouseph at about 3:00pm (local time) on Day 2.

Good Luck to Peter. :):):)

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A lasting challenger
    V. V. SUBRAHMANYAM
    The Hindu. August 18, 2011

Full story: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/article2367214.ece

It was a gesture which was symbolic of acknowledging the longevity of one of the finest players ever to grace badminton sport. When four-time World champion, Lin Dan patted Peter Hoeg Gade's back (of Denmark) after getting the better of the latter in the 2011 World championship semi-final in London last week, the Chinese superstar was clearly paying a handsome tribute to a great fighter. “I would love to hit his kind form when I will be 34,” remarked Lin Dan.

Gade's career is a impressive one— dotted with the 1999 All England championship victory, three European championships and 16 Grand Prix titles. Obviously, the next edition of the World championship will not be the same again as Dane hinted that he may not play again.

Gade, 35, won silver in the 2001 World championship and a bronze in 2011, it only goes on to show that he belongs to a rare breed. Always posing a serious challenge even to the new world champions Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan. Statistics may reveal that Gade had won only three of the 18 matches he played against Lin and one out of the 13 against Lee Chong Wei but they rarely indicate the intensity with which he fought.

Gade, in a way, was never really in the mood to fade away. He always gave an impression of enjoying every moment on the court with this trademark reverse forehand. One of the interesting features of the 2011 World championship is the sight of former All England champion, Pullela Gopi Chand of India donning the role of chief coach of the national team and in the same event Gade fighting it out with the likes of Lin Dan. The ace Indian shuttler downed Gade in the 2001 at the All England semi-final before becoming the eventual champion. While Gopi, almost the same age like Dane, is now into coaching, Gade continued to surprise many. Interestingly, this three-time Olympian had a highly creditable run in the circuit in 2011, entering the final of the Indonesian Open, semi-finalist in the Singapore and guiding Denmark to silver in the Sudirman Cup world team championship (losing to China in the final). By all means, Gade will be remembered as one of the truly outstanding fighters in the sporting history as his career record of 638 matches with 492 wins suggests.

“Yes, we all miss him. He is a truly wonderful athlete. Very friendly and always keen to lend his helping hand for the promotion of the sport,” compliments Gopi. Well, Gade will be remembered for long as a fighter, who fought till the end on the court, never giving an impression of surrendering mid-way through a battle.

14. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    badminton will never be the same without GADE the great dane =( although he was consantly beaten by chong wei i still love him!

15. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    Have u guys look at the match between Gade vs Tien Minh? Omg, i really loves Gade's accuracy and tactics, even though it's a clear sign that he is soo tired..

16. yves.

yves. Regular Member

Student
    He showed so much fighting spirit in that match it's incredible. I was watching this at home getting so nervous when Nguyen levelled at 19 all, but then Peter's just showing all of his brilliance to close it out.
    What's even more astonishing to me is that he played such a fantastic first set againt LD the next day, but obviously he ran out of steam afterwards, having played 2 3 setters on the two previous days.
    He's my favourite player and I will just enjoy every match that I can watch until he's retiring, hopefully with Olympic gold in his bag (okay that's highly unlikely but who knows haha).

17. victory

victory Regular Member

I have a lot of respect towards Peter Gade. To me he is one ot the modern badminton legend.

He shown to the world that badminton players can keep improving and transforming if they are open minded and put in right effort. PG change from a attacking player to control player to prolong his badminton career. I think he did more prolong his career, he is doing very fine and become a role model to many other players.

I still remember how he played Sun Jun and Dong Jiong in the late 90's. He was such an agressive attacking player. Now he shown unbelievable tactics and precise control playing style on court.

I believe LD and chinese coaches saw success in PG and want to do the same. Look at how LD play nowadays. LD also transforming himself to a control player to prolong his badminton careeer. I am not saying the chinese is copying PG, no two players are the same. But PG's sucess definitely has influence on the rest of the players.

Yes the world of badminton will not be the same without PG.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

In China, their training sessions are more intensive

Somehow, I disagree with what you have said - that Chinese coaches saw success in PG and want to do the same.

In China, their training sessions are more intensive compared to the training sessions in Denmark.

IMHO, because of the intensive training in China, most CHN players could find that after the age of 30, their bodies won't be able to meet the demand of their training anymore. ;););)

19. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    IMO, the reason he transforming himself to a control player was to counter LD's attacking power.. I didn't think PG could beat LD in brute force, even if they are in the same age..

btw, i'm wondering why PG always lose to LCW ( if i'm not mistaken, PG only won 1 match against him, is that right?)

20. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    The Hokkien calls it 'mo chao'.
    Somehow LCW's 'aura' overwhelms PHG on court and this cannot be explained.
    This phenomenon also happens in tennis where a world number 1 player somehow cannot beat the same lower-ranked player whenever they play or that a world number 1 player just cannot win the Wimbledon MS title notwithstanding reaching the final time after time. Think of Ivan Lendl in tennis.

:confused::confused::confused::cool::cool::cool: