Yonex VT80 vs Victor MX80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Triptens, Mar 1, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

eh? BoMo won AE2011 md with their vt80/70

it's only in sudirman cup 2011 recently that they happen to lose almost all their matches! :eek:
    mostly due to their own errors :p

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Boe/Mogensen actually won the All England (for the first time?) with the VT70/80, while LCW has been winning most tournaments even before the VT80 came on board. I don't think a change in racket affects overall performance much at all for them. Also, even if we were to draw any conclusions, the amount of time is far too short to make any sort of correlation. Who knows, LCW may start losing everything from now on, while Boe/Mogensen may start winning everything from now on. Would it be because of the racket then?

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

OK we'll see how Boe/Mogensen perform in the next months, I say they have passed their best. As for LCW maybe its less appearance but IMO he plays much better now than before and can have bigger chance beating LD.

OK sure it may not purely comes down to their racket. But the bottom line is the same whether you are a pro or not

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I'm sure you are familliar with peak moments for an athlete. You cannot be at your best level all year around ... I'd say their next target is the World Championship.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You forgot the tights :D

6. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    Well said yoppy...:)

7. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

Certainly AT 700 (original) is a force to be reckoned with, no question, one of THE most potent (bar none) rackets that ever came out from the YY factory.

Surely, VT80 is much easier to use relatively speaking compared to the original AT 700!

Since we are talking about VT80 and MX80, I'd definitely say VT80 is no pushover and can hold it's own against the lofty standard and reputation the original AT 700 has garnered over the years! MX80, as the consensus regards, is a compromise betweeen the BraveSword and SuperWaves series; a compromise (in the users own words, regular guys like most of us forumers here are)! A compromise really meant bridging the gap, I suppose;).

The good thing is, we are all enthusiastic about baddy whether we like the VT80 or the MX80. Doesn't really matter where are allegiances (brands) are ...it just meant we are passionate about baddy, hence we always try to find the next and the next best thing as we evolve as players and enthusiasts seeking and looking forward towards that ounce of improvement if we can/if we may.

8. Iori

Iori Regular Member

Aren't the VT80 and MX80 made for different purposes? The VT80 is super head heavy used by offensive singles like LCW. I think rackets like AT900p and N90 should be compared to VT80. The mx80 appears to be in the same line as brave sword and arcsabers. I think comparing the two is like comparing a drill and a hammer.

9. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

What's interesting is that the VT80 is being used by many pro doubles players too. That's something the AT700 (and AT900P) didn't achieve.

10. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

Agree, I have Z slash and MX80 now and they play similar in ease of movement. Of course, I have less mishits with MX80 IMO. I'm happy having both. :)

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I agree to that 100%

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Maybe not AT700. But there were many pros used AT900 P and T as well as AT800 A and D

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

That's why I put the "AT900P" in brackets, as there were relatively few doubles players using it. I don't know if any doubles player used the AT700. I'm really not surprised that the VT80 is being used in doubles though. The more I use it, the more I feel it is a very fast racket when required (in doubles).

14. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    now i agree 100% with u ssj100....vt80 is fast (even not too fast).

15. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Voltric 80 is pretty fast considering its head heaviness. But compared to rackets like MX80, Bs10 and ns9900. It's a bit lacking in speed...

16. troynguyen

troynguyen Regular Member

student
    Agree. At first, it was very slow because of me. BUt the more I play, the better it gets. I wonder that whether people who are complaining about fact hat the racket is slow, are indeed slow. :)

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think my Lethal Light Special (weighs about 77g "dry" weight, so 5U equivalent) is extremely "fast" (it's probably "faster" than the BS10 etc?) but that doesn't mean it plays better "defensively" or I can respond "faster" in practise. Having a heavier racket and/or heavier head can actually help/improve your defense if you adjust the timing of your swing appropriately. Regardless, I do believe that doing wrist strengthening exercises will help with all badminton strokes, particularly if you think a racket is "too heavy".

When I say "fast", what I mean is that it "feels" like I can swing the racket around faster - that is, my strokes "feel" faster. The 5U racket I have feels incredibly light and its "dry" Balance Point is not too high at around 290mm. But the fact is, I defend poorer with it and my drives are weaker with it. So I think there has to be a happy medium for everyone. The VT80 is super head heavy (which means it's great for power) and yet, for me, somehow it's managed to find that "happy medium" by being relatively just as fast too. I think this is quite a big achievement from Yonex (keeping in mind I was and still am a huge Yonex skeptic) and I really don't know exactly how they've done this with the VT80. Slimmest shaft? Nanopreme? Aerodynamic head? All these terms just sound like marketing "BS" to me. Whatever the case, I "feel" that the VT80 is actually a great "all round" racket, despite being so head heavy. I certainly didn't "feel" this way for the first few sessions, but I can definitely say it now. Defensively, for me, the VT80 is just as good as any other racket I've ever used.

And looking at it another way, I think less head heavy rackets like the MX80 can generate just as much power if you can swing it faster. Do keep in mind that the MX80 is relatively head heavy (more so than the extremely powerful apacs Lethal 70), so it's no surprise that people find they can generate plenty of power with it. However, if you have the strength/technique to swing the VT80 just as fast, you should be able to produce more power.

18. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I'm really finding it hard to put down my 4U VT80 at the moment. Imo the MX80 offers me better control, delicacy and placement. Speed is better too with defence, but it's got to a point with the 4U VT80 that whilst it may not have quite as much control as the MX80, I'm not finding I'm too slow to return any drives, smashes or shots. So speed is not an issue. Most importantly however, it makes hitting clears and more powerful smashes noticeably easier. I don't have to put in as much effort for clears, and smashes definitely have a lot more punch. You get a snap from the VT80 that ins't quite there on the MX80.

I even tried upping the tension on my MX80 to past my VT80's (25lbs x 27lbs instead of my regular 24lbs x 26lbs) and I still can't replicate the responsive loud snap the VT80 puts on power shots. MX80's isn't quite as loud or direct. I'd imagine because there's less power on the shots due to the reduced head weight, who knows.

But it's fair to say that now I've adjusted to the VT80, it has become my main go to preferred racket. I tend really to only switch to the MX80 when I'm tired or weaker than usual, and cannot generate the necessary power from the VT80. For some reason I still can't get as good angles on smashes with the VT80 as I can with the MX80 mind. Not sure why.

19. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    +1 well said ssj100. swing and swing again...vt80 will delight u always.

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

What I really mean is AT900P/T and AT800D/A are all head heavy rackets and the majority of doubles players at that time were using them. So although I'm a bit surprise that now especially with range of choices out there, there are some doubles players using VT80, it's not like they are sailing into a new water