Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

But he changed back to his old grip during the 2nd game (vs PG)... what happened?

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

that one was also not the old one. I notice his second racket did not have grip on the lower part of the handle and also no bottom cap

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Maybe this is a prototype in it's raw form.

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The bottom cap exists on all of his racquets. The reason you don't notice it is because the bottom cap on Li Ning racquets are coloured black on the bottom part (especially Lin Dan's which are the old model with the red Li Ning logo) and with his wrapping of layers of white athletic tape around it, the black bottom cap and the red logo just disappears on low definition videos. You can however see it on high definition videos or pictures.

If you notice the racquet that he was using against Park Sung Hwan, the racquet has noticeable parts of its paint peeled off starting from half of the shaft all the way to the cone. This shows that Lin Dan has been experimenting with this new grip style with just a few of his racquets that he has been using all this time and is varying his grip style depending on mood or feel.

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

No its not black, I could even see the hole and the inside wooden. I wish I can find a picture or maybe a video of that.

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    It looks like a black hole to me :)

Or rather some black color rubber tucked inside

to strengthen the wooden handle

7. Blitzzards

Here is my proof:

View attachment 98951

1. Notice the bottom of the butt cap of the racquet in the lower left corner. You can clearly see the plastic even the red Li Ning logo due to the lack of thick athlete tape wrapping.

2. Notice how the racquet he is holding has much more athlete tape covering the butt cap bottom but there is still a clear outline of the butt cap's plastic ledges? The centre uncovered part is also too shiny and reflective to be your "hole and the wooden inside".

This is a snapshot of a high definition video (7,347Kbps bit rate quality if you want to get technical) of Lin Dan versus Peter Gade in the Japan Open 2010 Semi Final. He may have changed it but I still have yet to see anything far unlike this picture that I have here to prove so.

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Blitzzard, I believe your picture is not from the Sudirman cup final match, I mentioned that LD just changed his grip during Sudirman cup not JO 2010 :)

OK I managed to find the video: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o8954k and if you care to download and play it and stop at 42:25 you can see that there are no bottom cap on all 3 LD rackets. And the grip colour is not red as on your pic, they are black and blue grips. And LD picked up the black one. And when I look more closely on the black grip racket, the edges are so thick that it looks like wooden not athlete tape covering. There is abosolutely no bottom cap there at all.

#2088 Yoppy, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  9. Blitzzards

I have reviewed the video. Two observations I made:

1. It is shot from an obscure angle. You don't see the bottom of the butt cap directly to be able to actually see the inside of the uncovered part as you claimed.

2. The video is not of absolute high definition (only 793Kbps bit rate compared to my 7,347Kbps; which is almost 10 times less don't you think?) and you just can not definitely tell if the bottom part is covered with athlete tape or not. However if you compare the colour of the bottom part to the uncovered wooden upper part just below the cone, the colour hue is starkly different, so it is not raw wood as you claimed.

With such inconclusive evidences on your part, my proof still holds true.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I dont have to see it from the 180 degree angle, what Im saying is that there is no tape there and that tick part at the bottom of the handle is wood, and therefore LD must have taken the cap off. You can also see that LD is no longer grip his racket at the lower part of the handle only, he now grip the racket at the middle of the handle only and on the other racket he grip it way up to the shaft. Thats the main changes that he made. I actually saw a clearer pic in yesterday when i watch it live, lets see if I can find it and show it to you.

Your evidence or proof is nothing but already known fact, that WAS the way LD grip prior to this Sudirman cup, we all already know that. But what I saw on this Sudirman cup he already change that, for example the way he grip all they way up to the shaft. So if you think Im wrong you must at least show me that LD used the same grip style as he previously used.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

OK how about if you paused at 47:45 to 47:46, I could not see a cap there, could you??

#2091 Yoppy, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  12. Blitzzards

Too blur to tell, especially if the centre is really hollow wood as you claimed. Besides, the sides of the bottom part looks too white to be raw wood, and at the subsequent frames when he drops the racquet and you get to see the raw wood below the cone, the colour is starkly different (NOT WHITE AT ALL even though it is beneath his palm's shadow) compared to the white bottom part which is most probably athlete tape wrapped around the bottom cap.

My argument is that there has been thus far been no conclusive proof that the bottom part which you insist is raw wood is indeed totally uncovered as you claimed. While you seem to claim that there is indeed a conspiracy and that something must have happened and thus you are starting to see things even if they don't seem to be so.

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Can't help reading what you two guys were saying,

as I said earlier it looks something black at the bottom of the handle

so that would be no butt cap :D

14. Blitzzards

You really have not read anything above have you :rolleyes:

The black part is too shiny/reflective (look above to see the explanation) to be the empty hollowness as you claimed. Darkness does not reflect light, period.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Playing with no bottom cap on

Interesting observations, you guys.

Let's now see how many BCers would from now on play with no bottom cap on their rackets. :D:D:D

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes, I read your explanation and interesting indeed :)

What I saw was during the live match

and I know when I see a handle without a cap :D

It was the shape and something black that tells me so,

Unless I am wrong it could be the thick overlapping grip

in the middle of the handle that make it looks like no cap :D

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

what conspiracy are talking about man??? If you want to start attacking me personally go ahead shot me. Tell me which post did I mention about conspiracy???:confused:

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
  19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Yoppy/Blittzards, you are both eagle-eye to be so observant, finding pictures of LD grip, you are good...I hire both as detective to spot on my ex...only if you both can co-exist and work together:D:p
    Now, back to LD....PG-LD match showed an experienced LD, not the run-and-gun...LD sped up when needed, smashed when he spot openings, and well paced, calculated in his match...very impressive. LD is pacing and peaking towards WC11 and of course OLY12, still a long 14 or so months to go.
    Sudirman is no brainer, CHN has it in her pocket all along...so why did INA screwed up the LD-LCW mother of all show?:crying:

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Uncle OTB,
    Your last sentence should be treated with caution. Luckily there are no INA fans here. Those extreme ones.