Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes it sounds like there are many variables. In the end, you don't really know if you're smashing faster unless you have a speed gun.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Played again this weekend. 2 games of mixed doubles and 2 games of mens doubles. Won 1 of each. I was a smashing demon on the games I won. On one rally I did 3 continous smashes before getting the point. I think any more than that would have hurt my shoulders. I still find that I'm not keeping my racket up as I should. I think with it being a head heavy racket...I get lazy in keeping it up.

VT80 is great for singles and good (cuz less quick) for doubles.

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

So your first two smashes were returned? Where were your smashes from? The baseline or up closer?

4. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

By the way, anyone using the 3UG5 VT80? I'm just wondering how thin the grip is with it being G5.

5. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I have the 3UG5 VT80. The original over grip does not change from from G4 or G5. It's the wooden handle that changes.

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, that's what I was asking. How much thinner is the wooden handle?

7. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

I measured mine that has the replacement grip on already it's about 0.1 mm only. Maybe the karakal pu grip is thick. But I think it should be 0.25mm difference. Saw it somewhere.

8. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    First 2 smashes were baseline...slowly advancing. 3rd smash was mid-court.

9. bad_fanatic

I really have no idea, and I haven't had a racket with a G4 grip for over 7 yrs so I can't measure it. www.mybadmintonstore.com says that G5 grip are .25 inch smaller then G4.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

My Yonex distributor can only sell me the VT80 at G5. It's just that I read somewhere that apacs G2 = Yonex G4. I'm very used to apacs G2 now, and would like to get the equivalent grip size for Yonex. I've also read somewhere that apacs G2 = Yonex G4/5, and someone also posted somewhere that the apacs G2 is most similar to the Yonex G5.

So it sounds like G5 will be fine for Yonex rackets.

By the way, does anyone have a VT80 with Taiwan distribution code? What are the recommended string tensions stated on it?

11. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Ok, so now the second week using it after my initial shoulder injury and after gripping it with RKEP G11 Yellow (which dropped the BP by 8mm down to 306mm and increased the weight by 2g over Super Grap), what can I say. I've tamed the beast!

Barely any shoulder pain today, and my play was some of the most confident I've ever played. I was placing 80% of shots exactly where and how I wanted, smashing away like mad with rare successful returns, serving pin point accurate, and generally playing with good precision. Smashes and clears were just effortless. A quick easy flick from one end of the court and the shuttle would be at the other end up the court. Whereas a few weeks ago I felt I really had to swing it hard to do the same, and at the risk of further shoulder pain.

Didn't even pull out my MX80 today as the VT80 was delivering in spades. The power was just magnificent, and I don't think I lost a single drive battle in all the games played. I was reacting to shots and hitting them back without barely even thinking about them, so speed certainly wasn't a problem, whereas it was a few weeks back (the racket felt slow compared to the MX80).

As a testament to how well the racket served me today, 4 of us played, switching partners every set (best of 3, usually ended up swapping partners after two games). Out of 17 games, I won 15....all of them consecutively (15 in a row). Only games I lost were the first (blame it on needing a warm up) and last (by then I didn't even care to win any more and I'm pretty sure my partner lost 80% of the points).

Anyway, I'm really really pleased and hope I can perform this way on Wednesday. Usually we have much closer games, so to win 15 is a row was just fantastic. I think it's a group record!

I think now that my shoulder has strengthened a bit, and I've gotten used to trying to wield the VT80 (it's MUCH more demanding to use than the MX80 and any racket I've used before it), it will stay as my go to racket, except when I'm feeling weak or tired, I'll switch to the MX80. I am afraid that if I put a lighter overgrip on again like Super Grap, it will once again be too head heavy for me to manage. So I'll grip in a way as to increase the BP 2mm at a time from now on till I'm completely used to the rackets original head heaviness. But for now G11 + VT80 work wonders.

Also, I recommend gripping higher up than usual. VT80 is a racket that prefers to be held mid to two thirds of the way up the handle. Or higher up. Whereas the MX80 works better holding the handle lower down.

#951 Naim.F.C, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Naim.F.C, I suspected you'd eventually find the VT80 a pleasure to play with. Just remember that any 100g weight (the racket) shouldn't cause any acute arm/shoulder pain, unless your technique is significantly flawed or you have a very weak arm (or a medical condition).

I also suspect you won't be using the MX80 much anymore! By the way, what distribution code is your VT80 and what are the recommended string tensions stated on the racket?

13. bad_fanatic

I think I saw it some where that Yonex G4 is 86 mm and G5 is 83 mm.

A friend of mine has the Apacs model that looks like the Yonex Z-slash with the G2 grip and it's very close to the Yonex G5.

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Thanks for confirming bad_fanatic.

15. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    #955 GaryC, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  16. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Using a TW coded 4UG5 here. Believe it weighs 84g naked. Feels ever so slightly flexier than my MX80. Can't remember what the max recommended string tension is but don't really care. Currently using 24lbs mains, 26lbs crosses with BG66UM and don't think I'll change for a while.

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Can you please look at the RST stated on the racket for me?

By the way, interesting that you chose the 4U. The 3U would probably produce even more power if you have good strength and technique.

18. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Just Google it, my over grip grip currently covers the details. I chose the 4U for the additional speed since I play mainly doubles :)

19. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    This is a good move. Yonex' are notoriously heavy - I've had 3 in my time (AT900T, NS9900, Arc ZS) and all of their net weights were well over 100g.

20. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    Yonex 3U racquets usually weight above 100 gr complete with string dan grip.
    It will be more if you put lead tape on the racquet frame or overgrip the racquet.