ZYMAX 67 vs BG66 ultimax vs Nanogy 98

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jamiec269, Feb 11, 2011.

1. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Reason I quote myself is because, I was handed a racquet strung with BG66 UM (supposedly) but it was BG66 Maxima...a month and a half ago.

Well, just very recently (within the span of a week), I've accumulated about 6 hours of play with BG66 UM (this time I checked) and it beats Zymax 62/67 and NBG98 generally speaking but still the durability of NBG98 is best because I broke one of my racquet's string strung with Ultimax in 3 hours and Zymax 62 is just pathetic in the durability section! I don't know about the soon to be released improved version of the Zymax 62/67 though. However, I think I will stick with Ultimax and NBG98 for same spec racquets strung at 28 lbs. until further testing in the meantime. Might try the improved Zymax version as well.

Mods, please delete this double post, sticky hands:D, sorry.

#21 RSLvictorSOTX, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. RSLvictorSOTX

Reason I quote myself is because, I was handed a racquet strung with BG66 UM (supposedly) but it was BG66 Maxima...a month and a half ago.

Well, just very recently (within the span of a week), I've accumulated about 6 hours of play with BG66 UM (this time I checked) and it beats Zymax 62/67 and NBG98 generally speaking but still the durability of NBG98 is best because I broke one of my racquet's string strung with Ultimax in 3 hours and Zymax 62 is just pathetic in the durability section! I don't know about the soon to be released improved version of the Zymax 62/67 though. However, I think I will stick with Ultimax and NBG98 for same spec racquets strung at 28 lbs. until further testing in the meantime. Might try the improved Zymax version as well when I get the chance to do so.

3. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Thanks,

Does a string's thickness automatically determine its durability? In other words, will a thicker string automatically be more durable than a thinner string simply because it is thicker? For example, the Zymax 67 measures at 0.67mm whereas the Ultimax and NBG are 0.65mm and 0.66mm, both thinner strings, yet seem to out-perform the Z67 in terms of durability.

4. thejym

thejym Regular Member

It also depends on the coating. For the most part, all of these strings use a multi-filament nylon core. As you may have noticed, once the outer layer becomes worn down, the string breaks quickly. NBG-98 has a carbon nano fiber coating that makes it quite durable despite it's thickness. But generally you are correct, the thinner a string is the less durable it will be at a given tension.

5. RSLvictorSOTX

It does basically but as thejm said, coatings plays a role in terms of durability, feel (soft, medium and hard) and control (most important) as well.

6. RSLvictorSOTX

Though the ZYMAX 62 has an improved version I think I'll stick with the .65 & .66 mm strings.

Imo, a guess really, Zymax 67 improved version will be more durable but should retain less of its playing characteristics, specially in the feel and control department.

Zymax 62 improved version should be a big welcome though. Meanwhile, until I've tried it myself (improved version) of Zymax, for me, it is: BG66 Ultimax, NBG 98 & Zymax 62/67.

#26 RSLvictorSOTX, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  7. Sentinel604

Sentinel604 Regular Member

I fix stuff
    IMO

Zymax 67 (especially platinum) > NBG98

Though NBG98 durability is better, I just find NBG98 have this dead feel to it after the first week

+ I'm not a fan of the slippery coating, too much movement

I play at 28/30

Waiting for my shipment of BG66UM for some time now (stuck at customs for 2 weeks:mad:)

Can't wait to try it out

8. RSLvictorSOTX

I strung it at 28/30 as well. There is movement with NBG98 and so does Ultimax (not so much comparatively but it does move). Yeah, Platinum isn't as durable as NBG98. Well, guess have to wait for the improved versions of Zymax 62/67.

9. allyjack110

The BG68ti and BG65ti both have a hydro-titanium coating. Is this 'special' coating designed primarily for added durability or does it provide any other benefit. As far as I know the BG65 and 65ti are essentially the same string with the added benefit of the titanium coating. Yet, compared to the TI, the standard BG65 is rated as the more durable. Surely it should be the other way about. I've never tried the BG65 - only the TI version.

10. RSLvictorSOTX

I used to like BG68ti a lot...I don't know, although it's got a medium feel to it, it still generate at lot of pain to my elbow. With NBG98, there is also some funny feeling on my elbow but not anymore with the BG66UM. The only reason I am sticking with NBG98 is repulsiveness and durability. If I were to pick only one, the Ultimax is it, for now; until I've tested the new improved Zymax 62/67 versions.

11. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Now the BG66UM strings are starting to fray on the string bed

12. RSLvictorSOTX

Excuse me one sec. but what I really meant by the teeny weeny string movement created by NBG98 results in vibration as a by-product of its coating, just like the titanium coatings with the titanium-coated strings, it's really the vibration rather than the string movements that creates the problem. Otherwise, even BG66 Ultimax has string movement even at 28 lbs tension.

13. drew tze en

That's very true
    I am starting to see around where the strings crossover little strains of the outer coating is wearing out.

14. RSLvictorSOTX

String fraying is quite natural and ok so long as it plays right, feels good, has precise control and good power. Naturally, after too much fraying, it'll end up sanpping. Time to restring, fresh strings makes it alive every time.

15. drew tze en

Yep I'll play the strings out until it breaks then I can get my racket re-strung !

16. thejym

thejym Regular Member

It seems that the titanium hydride coating serves to harden the feel of the string and to provide a better sound. The difference between BG-65 and BG-65Ti (according to Yonex) is primarily soft vs. hard feel. The only explanation I can give for being less durable is that given both BG-65 and BG-65Ti have the same diameter, this coating replaces some of the inner nylon (core nylon or braided nylon casing) and perhaps isn't as strong.

What bugs me, however, is that BG-68Ti, despite having the same titanium hydride coating, has a soft feel. Which leads me to wonder if the primary benefit of the ti coating is for sound only. However it could also be that because it is a .68mm thick string versus .70mm (BG-65Ti), it still feels softer.

With metals, surface hardness is directly proportional to wear resistance. The harder and smoother a metal surface is, the less prone it is to wear due to shear. From what I've observed, BG-80 and NBG-98 have approximately the same durability, despite their different thicknesses. BG-80 has a hard Vectran coating with a lot of texture, while NBG-98 has a smoother, more slippery carbon nano fiber coating. I would guess that the slippery coating resists wear more than the textured coating, though the Vectran would resist wear more than the nano coating if we assume that the Vectran coating is harder.

I think it's also important to always keep in mind that Yonex is a big marketing company on top of being an R&D company. They can't outright lie, but they know how to cater to consumer demands and alter consumer perceptions. Having written a paper on the selection of materials for badminton rackets for one of my materials science classes, it is very frustrating to have so little technical information available and to have to resort to conjecture, reasoning, and wading through the marketing ploys to come up with some justifiable reasons for using one material over another.

17. allyjack110

Interesting.

According to this year's Yonex catalogue (UK) the Nanogy 98 is rated 7/10 in terms of 'Durability' - on par with the BG65ti and 1 point more than the BG80 at 6/10, despite being a considerably thinner string than both. The BG65 (non-TI) and NGB 95 are both rated 8/10.

The Nanogy 98 and BG65ti both equal in terms of durability - that can't be right??? If that is the case, I'm going to try the NGB 98 as it seems to be a big favourite amongst people in this forum. My only experience with an ultra-thin guage was with the Zymaz 62 @ 23lbs. On both occassions the string lasted less than a 'New York minute'. Since then I have resigned myself to using a thick string such as the BG65ti. I like the BG65ti but I'm looking for more repulsion without sacrificing on durability. I'm not a stringer so getting my rackets re-strung regularly can be both pricey and inconvenient. My usual tension is around 23lbs and I love to smash and play high-clears.

18. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I find them roughly equal in terms of durability because I string at 29-30lbs and they last ~10-12 hours each. It could be different at different tensions... also I'm inclined to think the thinner string, no matter how "durable" it is, is more prone to breaking due to mishits.

19. allyjack110

Agreed. I think I'll stick with the BG65ti... for now, and perhaps work on my footwork instead.

20. drew tze en

My BG66UM is starting to lose tension :(