2011 All England: Day 6 Sunday 13-March (Finals Day)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    But I think this is an excellent start - retaining his AE crown in distant, still less familiar Birmingham?

Best of all this time his arch-rival was LD, whom he defeated in straight games!

As I've said LCW is beginning to believe in himself and his mental fear of LD has vanished. If he continues to polish up his fitness and skills, especially in attack, LD will find himself in the wrong end again and again.

The H2H record is history!

2. desmond0806

desmond0806 Regular Member

Secondary student
    i don really agree that LCW really beat lin dan.. coz u see, Lin dan does very little of his jumping smashes... howeevr, i am not sure whether this happen bcoz LCW put him in a diff position untill he cant position himself well to smash.. gonna watch the match again.. :p

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think LCW is his own man now, independent, without outside distractions including replacement coaches, the better for him. Just let him spar with a few good players in training to keep him in shape and with competitions to sharpen his skills and alertness.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

U got a point here, uncle;)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If you are referring to the AE Finals, I think you are crazy not to agree that LCW had beaten LD conclusively.

What jumping smash if LCW had outsmashed LD on the day? LD was on the defensive to be able to jump smash. And that credit goes to LCW who prevented LD from doing his best with delicate net plays and powerful smashes.

6. george@chongwei

Come on. Give credit to the 'better' man yesterday;)

7. hyin21

hyin21 Regular Member

Was initially happy that KKK/TBH managed to enter the final given their recent form. But having gone that far, and having a healthy lead in the final game, it was disappointing to see them lose it. Yes, I think they lost it rather than the Danes winning it. Just my opinion.

8. george@chongwei

IS that your malaysia flag at your backyard in Canada?:D

9. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    The worst performance of the 2011 AE finals has to be that of the Japanese WD pair, MF/RK, against WXL/YY of China with the score of 21-2, 21-9. The 2 points the Japanese got in a super series final could be a record which unfortunately happened in a Premier Super Series final. The score beat that sustained by SP/ST of 4-21 in the 1st game of their quarter final match against TJM/TQ even though ST/ST eventually won 4-21, 21-18, 21-14. SP/ST were a disappointment in the XD final match against WXL/YY where SP did not even bother to receive the serve by the Chinese for the match and instead moved forward to shake the hand of the server to congratulate the Chinese for their win with the score of 21-13, 21-9. This drew criticism from the commentator, Gill Clark, which is very rare.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused:

KKK/TBH have themselves to blame for their loss. They were 16-11 up in the third game and they just fumbled in the final stretch thereby handling the title to MB/CM. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The star performer has to be LCW who beat LD in two games of 21-17, 21-17. The match has every thing that BCers look for in a men’s singles match with smashes, net play, flat and fast rallies, probing clears,, lifts and drops, and clever maneuvering, etc. At 17-17 in the 2nd game the commentator, Iain Wright, was worried that if LD was to overtake LCW, then LCW could become nervous and maybe lose. Thankfully LCW smashed to lead 18-17 and then won the next three points to win the game and the match. LD was gracious in defeat and hugged LCW who thoroughly deserves his back-to back win. This consecutive win was last achieved by Dato Eddy Choong in 1956 and 1957. He also won in 1953 and 1954. The other consecutive wins were achieved by Wong Peng Soon in 1950, 1951 and 1952. The win also shows that LCW lets his racquet do the talking. Congratulations to LCW on his win.:D:D:D:D:D

In the women’s singles match, Eriko Hirose should have won the 1st game but she could not convert at game point. Wang Shixian thoroughly deserves her 24-22, 21-18 win. She is not actually the best Chinese player in term of skills but she is mentally strong. Congratulations to her.

#1089 skchen, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  10. george@chongwei

Or rather Mr Teh Siu Bock.;)

11. george@chongwei

What happened in the other thread? LOOks like i missed the boat.

12. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It's more TSB's rather than RS's.
    The BAM now has a stronger bargaining position.

13. george@chongwei

No, he didn't do any kampung boy dance or robot dance yesterday. The photos in LCW thread that i posted sums it all;)

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It's Wang's crown despite bum ankle

TODAY

04:46 AM Mar 14, 2011

BIRMINGHAM (England) - World No 1 Wang Shixian (picture) of China won her first All England women's singles crown yesterday, battling past brave Japanese Eriko Hirose 24-22, 21-18.

Unseeded Hirose was the first Japanese to reach the final since 1979 and fought all the way, but Wang proved too strong despite a troublesome ankle. Wang's speed about the court and experience of big finals - she was winner of the Malaysian Open and a finalist at the first million-dollar tournament, the Korean Open in January - were crucial.

The 21-year-old Chinese told the media: "The last few points were very crucial and if I had lost and had to play a third game it would have been very difficult."

Said Hirose, 25, acutely conscious of the devastating tsunami at home: "I'm sad not to have won, to try to give a boost to Japanese people back home. I made some mistakes but I did my best and I am satisfied."

The Japanese, who beat fifth seed and Commonwealth champion Saina Nehwal of India in the quarter-finals, added: "I'm happy to have been part of a good match and I got a lot of support from the crowd.

"I can take some confidence from this match and this tournament. I would like to help Japan to win the Uber Cup one day and go on to become world number one."

The men's singles final between China's Lin Dan and defending champion Lee Chong Wei, of Malaysia, was still going on at press time. Reuters

(The troublesome ankle did not force Wang to give a walkover. Had her opponent been another compatriot, would she have given one?)

#1094 Loh, Mar 13, 2011
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If I were MS, I'll stick to my guns and enjoy a happy retirement to be closer to the family.

16. george@chongwei

WHat caught my attention during the meet the fans, shaking hands, autographing session, celebration is i saw Pulau Pinang state flag was there! Handed to LCW to sign.. haha..

btw, just realized i just surpass 26K posts!:eek:

17. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Is it? I saw he signed on Msia flag... not too sure if it's Penang's flag...

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    they have both 18 now
    and man utd might surpass this season
    hehe

he is the one who should get take over

haha
    as hcyong say
    aging

19. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

He did sign on the Penang flag,,in fact it caught his attention..he was leaving and stopped and turned back and sign on the flag of his homestate..It was a well deserved victory.This goes to show that LD is not unbeatable. The challenge is to close the gap of the major titles won..next stop..World Championship..also held in England this year, not Birmingham but London.

#1099 Bugsy, Mar 13, 2011
  20. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

If I am not mistaken, I thought I heard TSB giving tactical instructions to LCW in Hokkien..any one can confirm that???

#1100 Bugsy, Mar 13, 2011