today's serve judge let me recall Yawen Zhang's 11 fault calls in WC 2006

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by cadlag, Mar 12, 2011.

1. flite

flite Regular Member

1. Kindly share your thoughts on how badminton is as bad compared to soccer. Looking forward on that.

2. Keep on dreaming. My original post was referring to Boe's showmanship not the linesman.

2. flite

flite Regular Member

The Danes won the title in a fair manner. No issue about it from anyone except the few feathers that flocks together.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Linesman has grey hair. You quoted the linesman. My point is many of this tournament's linesmen are quite old and the players will work on this.

Playacting is common in other sports, why not badminton. It's part psychology as well. The sooner people accept gamesmanship is part of the game, the better the games will be.

Asians seem to think each game is played under gentlemen's rules. I think that is a little naive and people have to be prepared with being streetsmart when the game becomes a bit ugly.

#43 Cheung, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. flite

flite Regular Member

No doubt in my sentences I stated the word linesman but the objective was on Boe's gesturing to the opponents the shuttle was out. He was there watching the shuttle landed. My last line supported my statement.

Need any further explanation?

Play acting is not common yet in badminton although they bound to have certain black sheep. So don't promote it.

#44 flite, Mar 13, 2011
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

But you don't acknowledge the deficiency of the linesmen;)

Who's promoting? My view is it's something that can be expected to happen - people should equip themselves to handle such situations better psychologically rather than whine and lose.

6. flite

flite Regular Member

I did at the beginning of the paragraph. Be it pure human error or on purpose.

Who is whining and who is the loser. I see no one whining about this issue today beside you and a selected few who is still smarting about yesterday's posting. So who is the whiner?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

hahaha, let's leave it at that then. I'm not whining at all :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

hahaha, let's leave it at that then. I'm not whining at all :D

9. flite

flite Regular Member

No issue mate.

Long live badminton.

10. oasis123

oasis123 Regular Member

Boe's serve

Presentation1.jpg

I am not being bias at all... even both commentators said "MB gets awefully close to have his serves be at fault as well" "he has been known...that's for sure..."

I don't make a comment without any ground.

#50 oasis123, Mar 13, 2011
  11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Nothing wrong with that either ... Waist = bottom rib, cork of shuttle

Anyhoo you were talking about the one on 23-22 that you've concluded after watching dozens and dozens of times was too high ...

Attached Files:

#51 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
  12. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

I thought so too.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Thought I'd doublecheck since my interpretation was the point of contact should be below the waist ...

9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server’s waist at the instant of being hit by the server’s racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the server’s bottom rib;
    9.1.6 the shaft of the server’s racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction;

Which makes Boe's borderline which it does usually look when seeing it in action instead of on these stills (in particular the big one is not exactly at impact) but not blatant like the boys in yellow below which is closer to the solar plexus :D.
    The shorts line for Boe is slightly too low I see; you can see the line through his short a little halfway between the red lines but it's better to guesstimate from the armpit down ...

#53 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
  14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

One more for good measure @ 4-5 2nd set ;) (not called either)

+ why cork can ~= whole shuttle

Attached Files:

#54 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
  15. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Was watching live sitting only barely a few meters from them. I can concur the Chinese pair were serving with the racket face not facing downwards. During the preparation phase, their serves looked legal as the racket face was down. However, their racket faces changed at the moment of impact and it was clear from the TV replay that the racket face was not facing downwards when they hit the serve.

They got what they deserved-Tried to push the limit of the law. It is regretable that this pair didn't get faulted earlier as most of their serves were bordering on violating the rules(racket face being horizontal while serving).

#55 lcleing, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  16. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server’s waist at the instant of being hit by the server’s racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the server’s bottom rib;
    9.1.6 the shaft of the server’s racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction;

Nothing in here about the racket face needing to point downwards? Unless by racket face you actually meant shaft.

Also boeserve.jpg
    Looks pretty borderline to me.

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you can demonstrate how to have the racket face up whilst the shaft is facing downward be our guest? And if you're going to call every borderline incident in sports I'm sure not many matches would reach the end :D

18. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I thought it was apparent enough that every racket has to have a straight shaft(unless you are using some counterfeit Yonet/LiNing rackets with a crooked shaft). This means that your racket shaft has to be pointing toward the same direction as your racket face. i.e If your racket shaft is horizontal, your racket face has to be horizontal.

Probably, I should have used the word racket head instead of racket face to avoid confusion.

Thank you for confirming my(and the service judge's) viewpoint. If you think that Boe's serve was on the borderline, Guo and Chai's serves were definitely way over the limit. Hence, they deserve the service faults called.

#58 lcleing, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  19. oasis123

oasis123 Regular Member

Thank you for the pic, yours is captured better than mine. His arm tends to move up a bit when the shuttle was hit. It's very subjective and could be one one way or the other.

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

can you believe such a stupid rule could be in any other professional sport? its all based on an imaginary line that nobody can see or verify!