today's serve judge let me recall Yawen Zhang's 11 fault calls in WC 2006

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by cadlag, Mar 12, 2011.

1. cadlag

cadlag Regular Member

researcher
  2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I always doubt about this dubious rule as it is really something difficult to judge ad there is no very clear reference line? It's position varies from one player to another and therefore it is always and easily controversial. With the current 21 pt rally system, thus could easily kill a good game.

Hope this is not a tool to contain Chn's dominance like the world tried to do against CHN in table-tennis by manipulating the rules. I see this a cheap way of balancing powers, that is never seen in other sports like tennis.

3. jump_smashing

jump_smashing Regular Member

I also watched the whole game yesterday.

If the Danes players did the serve then the camera mostly from the front view (actually they can also always show it from the side view, because they got so many camera installed everywhere), but if the chinese players did the serve then the camera view mostly only from the side view.

Because camera angle view between front view and side view is totally different, if you know about the camera point of view... you will notice it will show different result.

So I would say it is not really fair for the badminton sport & especially since there is online badminton betting "THIS CAN REALLY TRICKY" :(
    We are as badminton fans ... we just want to see a good badminton match. Well this is just my opinion :)

4. cadlag

cadlag Regular Member

researcher
    I checked the game Carsten Mogensen & Mathias Boe Vs Jae Sung Jung & Yong Dae Leethe 2010 super series finals , the serve judge is a white male. You can see how high and how long delay when CM/MB served. Poor JSJ/YDL were totally ruined by Danes' serve. When they met at Korea premier 2011 in the end of the month. the Danes pair was easily defeated by the Korea pair. The serve judges made the huge difference

#4 cadlag, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

CB serves were indeed a bit high but it wasnt higher than the others he has done before in the first game... calling it at 21-20 is totally innapropriate especially on a short serve...

as of Guo's call at 22-21... complete BS

those calls cleary affected the chinese pairs game not to mention gave away the first game to the danes...

besides MB serves so high as well and not to mention his stupid stalling but never gets called

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Only idiot takes risk and don't learn from it. Never allow service to affect your game. So, next time, learn to serve lower. IMHO. ;)

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In China Open 2007, CHN judges faulted all non chinese players, Kido/Hendra got 7 or 8 service faults, ENG XD got 6 faults....
    in HKG Open recently, all players, even Single players got faulted...unfortunately there is no standard and can be bias...it afftects all players especially in critical points....Saina, Chen Long, Hyaom, others got faulted for serve in HKG Open 2010
    I believe many players complain about it..and if you look at statistics, most of short players ( unfortunately most are from asia) got foulted, especially in double...saw it many times like JJS, Kido got it

8. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    The problem is they played already 40 points, and it's ridiculous that it was called only during match points for the Chinese teams, and for both of the Chinese players. And he even looked smug about it after a call. Hate it when a good game is ruined like this. They really need to re-evaluate the waist/rib rules for service.

9. flite

flite Regular Member

Agreed with you guys. I think bias calls happened everywhere but this was just too obvious. Unfortunately for the Koreans and Chinese when up against the Danes, it was called on them at the critical moments of the match and it kills them off.

On a side note, Boe's sportmanship is also very questionable. At one point when the replay clearly showed that the shuttle landed on the line (was called out by linesmen) and Boe was there seeing it, he gestured strongly to the Chinese pair that it was out whereby he knew it was good.

Is play-acting taking place in badminton?

10. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

It's not about serving lower. Service faults are completely at the discretion of service judges (not sure whether umpires are allowed to overrule?). And if the SJ is dead set on helping one pair there's not much you can do. If they say its high, if they say the racket is not downward pointing, you have no case.

11. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I have been too many tournaments and I do believe that certain service judges will help certain teams...and it is hard for players to argue and I do not think Umpire can overrule...what players can do is to complain thru managers and manager will ask REFEREE and HEAD of Referee will watch from the side...thats only way....or biased line judging too...
    If that happens on AE...thats really bad as traditionally AE is known as NEUTRAL place

12. markchan

markchan Regular Member

I just hope KKK/TBH will get a different service judge for tonite. :rolleyes:

13. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I hope KKKTBH destroy the Danes.

With this shadow over AE, in addition to the organizational failures (LCW being informed 1hour in advance of his match, scoreboards that can't be seen, poorly managed websites, etc) I really question its status as a SSP. Korea Open had a bad name in the past but recently and especially this year they really lived up to their billing.

14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hm...Been told that Korea Open is worse than before...r u sure it is better this year? no welcome dinner party, no players lounge, etc..even Badzine reporter critized KO event big time

15. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I was more of judging it in terms of tournament biasness, etc. Not really sure about the other aspects. But yea I suppose badzine is right in saying that it could have been better managed.

edit: when I say better managed i meant for the spectators/media. I believe player-wise they are generally satisfied? havent heard any major complaints from players

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good point. Rules of badminton favours a taller player.

As for those who say calling a fault at 21-20 is ridiculous time to call a fault, that is not a sensible statement to make. Are we supposed to call an amnesty on serves when it's a tie break?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The play acting is there - just like other sports. If you watch italian football, you'll understand.

Look at the line judges carefully. Some you can see are very experienced. In fact, I really wonder if their eyes can keep up with the shuttle. Look at the colour of their hair underneath the caps.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This really is a poor example to quote the Korean Open result!! Korean tournaments have been so full of bias is the past that it is almost considered a norm.

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I've just watched both and they are so blatantly high it's hard not too call, they both moved the shuttle up at least 10cm before striking after getting set and CB must've been 15cm only a blind man wouldn't see it :rolleyes:.
    It's one thing starting of too high too begin with but to me it seems LJ's are far more susceptive to those serves where the player lift's it up at the last second ...

And Gill Clark mentioned she was not surprised as that serve was virtually coming down in her words @ 22-21 ... (I believe someone posted she couldn't believe the call yesterday)

#20 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011